Turning THC & CBD Water Soluble

Is anyone using filtration for sterilization? Is anyone mixing the CBD into ethanol, doing the sonication blending with the surfactants, filtering and then using a rotovap to remove the ethanol?

One thing to consider is that ALL of your encapsulated CBD must be smaller that the filter pore size or you will be filtering it out, along with any pathogens. Do you have access to a particle size analyzer? You would need to look at the particle size distribution.

1 Like

We would be doing it either with a microscope or would have it analyzed by a different lab. We certainly are keeping that in mind.

This is an interesting idea. Care to discuss more? How often to degum…

I would advise sending it out. However, if at 1000x magnification you don’t see any particles, you can assume that they are all below 250 nm, which is the smallest size an optical microscope can discern, for the same reason these emulsions are clear, the particles being smaller than the wavelengths of visible light.

4 Likes

There is absolutely no shortages of bogus information when it comes to health claims. I personally believe it is a big mistake to label or otherwise advertise health benefits of any kind. It just invites in government regulation but worse it is bloody hard to know just how this medicine impacts a large group of folks just for a baseline of how the medicine impacts you. Worst case scenario of course is if you advertise life saving benefits then answer the door at 3 am explaining that a patient took the information and used it in a way that harms them.

The legitimate desire to help others and educate them along with a perception that health claims sell products (it does) make it easy to want to advertise this way but health claims by other than doctors is a perilous route for marketting.

3 Likes

There is a world of difference between the regulation of a “dietary supplement” versus a drug. When you make claims about bioavailability and absorption through a buccal membrane, i.e. under the tongue you run the real risk of no longer being a dietary supplement, which are supposed to be absorbed through the alimentary canal, i.e. ingested.

3 Likes

I have read now through this thread about three times and am curious if any one has any “flavor house” suggestions once a stable emulsion/encapsulation has been achieved. I am in the early stages of determining my carrier oil and surfactants, but am worried about possible bitterness in a finished good. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

@Shearguy thanks for sharing, this is a time consuming and has caused me many headaches in the last two months of trial and error. I feel like I have read more patents now then I ever did while in college.

And thank you to everyone else in the community!

3 Likes

Just found this piece, seems like a gem. The only thing I didn’t see mentioned was adding ethanol and drying it afterwards to keep it from going bad in the solution (bacterial growth, etc.) Also not mentioned, is that you can use a dual asymmetric centrifuge to produce nanoemulsions.

7 Likes

Not sure if this is relevant, but 70% alcohol kills bacteria, 96% encapsulates and then keeps it intact. I’d imagine high proof alcohol would lead to more shelf life issues

3 Likes

I meant adding ethanol to create a lower BP azeotrope which would then be rotovaped and put into the vac oven to dry. There’s a company in Denver called Ripple that just sells the powder in little packets.

5 Likes

Gotta get a spraydryer dawg! https://yamato-usa.com/products/spray-dryer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjo_AnuSB4QIVlBx9Ch0nYggVEAAYAiAAEgI2kvD_BwE

7 Likes

Those look badass, haha.

2 Likes

You could make a mean chocolate milk powder like that!

4 Likes

I ran the Buchi Mini Spray Dryer drying all types of emulsions, that thing was a beast. Coolest thing though was putting in tap water and seeing the minerals dry out. Hard water is hard.

2 Likes

I’ve used these guys for years … www.fciflavors.com

4 Likes

@ARSNLabs Great suggestion, they are sending me samples Monday. Appreciate the share.

If you send them samples, they will formulate what you need for free.

I want to start off by saying that I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread over and I’ve truly learned a lot! A couple months ago I invested in a Omni International GLH Homogenizer with Generator Probe 19 mm x 240 mm from eBay and have been sitting on using it. Looking at several different blogs the most optimal solution would be a 5% of Medium and Long chain triglyceride and Distillate combination, 5% Beta-Cyclodextrin, 1% ascorbic acid to avoid degradation, and 89 percent water.

My questions are:

1. Should I worry about temperature when sonicating the emulsion? In the guide I saw online they used a recirculating chiller but am unsure about this area.

2. Should I be concerned about getting an additional surfactant to balance out the HLB? @ShearGuy mentioned that Gum acacia, glycerol monosterate, and polysorbate 80 is a good combo, but can’t seem to find a good answer for the surfactant type. I do want this to be GRAS regulated, but all the solutions online say there is a bitter taste.

3. One of the things that I know is gonna be tricky is degradation after the emulsion so I was wondering if I should introduce a nitrogen atmosphere after the emulsion is formed?

I have many more questions but these ones have been pressing me for months and I can’t seem to find a solid answer so I made this account to ask. Thank you guys for the great work this community has done!

4 Likes

What was your concentration of each ingredient when you made the translucent emulsion?

1 Like