Turning THC & CBD Water Soluble

Look into the p450 enzyme. Doesn’t process well with people on medications that can’t be taken with grapefruit.

1 Like
3 Likes

Clean Label CBD in water emulsion

Polytron PT 10-35 GT Homogenizer
Near monodisperse emulsion, 1 micron particle size

16 Likes

Ethanol? Care to share how you did this?

I will have a more complete write up once I am done with my experiments. This sample is only 1% CBD. I will be running 5% later today. [Redacted due to possible patents issues]. I am using a Polytron homogenizer with a 20 mm probe at 30,000 rpm, and then an ultrafine probe at 12,000 rpm.

5 Likes

5% processed as well as the 1%. As the mixture was thicker due to 5x the quantity of gum, it heated up faster from the shear forces. [Redacted due to potential patent issues] The mixture is also pasteurized at this point as well. Now comes the hard part…waiting to see if it passes the shelf life test.

1 Like

Is there any remaining ETOH in the final mix?

I am sending samples out for analysis. I may be limited in how much more I can share on this project. Will advise.

I have been advised that I may be posting ideas that have already been patented. The USPTO has issued some very broad patents in the cannabis field. For example, dissolving CBD in ETOH and adding it to vodka is protected by US Patent 10,085,965

Sick patents galore keep up the good work
:+1:

Great results Sheerguy. How long have you let the emulsions stand at room temp to test for creaming and separation? What are you using for a preservative? The preservative is proving to be my biggest hurdle right now. Clean labelnis also my requirement. I was hooing that the claimed anti bacterial effects of CBD and Quillaja wwould be enough but after 2 months I’m showing black spots of growth on the glass around the top of the emulsion.

Research claims that without a preservative any water containing emulsion will last max 5 days in the fridge.

3 Likes

I am not seeing any creaming. Nor any ringing. 1 week and counting. The process I use heats the sample into the pasteurization range, so it could conceivably be bottled hot and have an extended shelf life.

3 Likes

Is anyone using filtration for sterilization? Is anyone mixing the CBD into ethanol, doing the sonication blending with the surfactants, filtering and then using a rotovap to remove the ethanol?

One thing to consider is that ALL of your encapsulated CBD must be smaller that the filter pore size or you will be filtering it out, along with any pathogens. Do you have access to a particle size analyzer? You would need to look at the particle size distribution.

1 Like

We would be doing it either with a microscope or would have it analyzed by a different lab. We certainly are keeping that in mind.

This is an interesting idea. Care to discuss more? How often to degum…

I would advise sending it out. However, if at 1000x magnification you don’t see any particles, you can assume that they are all below 250 nm, which is the smallest size an optical microscope can discern, for the same reason these emulsions are clear, the particles being smaller than the wavelengths of visible light.

4 Likes

There is absolutely no shortages of bogus information when it comes to health claims. I personally believe it is a big mistake to label or otherwise advertise health benefits of any kind. It just invites in government regulation but worse it is bloody hard to know just how this medicine impacts a large group of folks just for a baseline of how the medicine impacts you. Worst case scenario of course is if you advertise life saving benefits then answer the door at 3 am explaining that a patient took the information and used it in a way that harms them.

The legitimate desire to help others and educate them along with a perception that health claims sell products (it does) make it easy to want to advertise this way but health claims by other than doctors is a perilous route for marketting.

3 Likes

There is a world of difference between the regulation of a “dietary supplement” versus a drug. When you make claims about bioavailability and absorption through a buccal membrane, i.e. under the tongue you run the real risk of no longer being a dietary supplement, which are supposed to be absorbed through the alimentary canal, i.e. ingested.

3 Likes

I have read now through this thread about three times and am curious if any one has any “flavor house” suggestions once a stable emulsion/encapsulation has been achieved. I am in the early stages of determining my carrier oil and surfactants, but am worried about possible bitterness in a finished good. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

@Shearguy thanks for sharing, this is a time consuming and has caused me many headaches in the last two months of trial and error. I feel like I have read more patents now then I ever did while in college.

And thank you to everyone else in the community!

3 Likes