Tricks of the trade

1st barrel - wash barrel for big tea bags. Seated inside a slightly larger kettle as a dry ice sleeve.
2nd barrel - drain/staging barrel for transfer
3rd barrel - panda spin with false bottom for suspension collection.

11 Likes

Restaurant supply storeā€¦your new best friend :joy:

10 Likes

Sell your wax before itā€™s sold :face_with_monocle: . Need a short path maybe pre sale a half liter or two and you should have all the cash needed to buy everything so long as you got crude.

6 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for the pics, ill go check my local one to see if they got big ones like that. I love the idea of adding a valve to the bottom like u did. Thanks for the help buddy

1 Like

Check you local brew store also!

3 Likes

:shushing_face: Panda in a mash tunā€¦at mjbizcon

4 Likes

I saw that. I donā€™t even know how to respond.

4 Likes

Waitā€¦ Iā€™m confused. is it actually a panda in a mash tun?

Certainly @ColumbiaLabsPDX seems to have that going on.

I might have to throw a bunch of stuffed animals in our fuge at mjbizcon :wink:

4 Likes

Just make sure itā€™s a panda bear! :rofl:

2 Likes

So, whatā€™s the issue with the panda in a brew kettle.?Please enlighten us all. Cryo material in nylon bags seems to work just fine.

1 Like

Secondary containment seems like a fine idea. Having not torn one apart, I cannot address the risks associated with getting a Pandaā€™s feet wet.

What makes you think Iā€™m ā€œtaking issueā€?

There will be several folks showing centrifuges at MJBizcon in NV in a couple of weeks. I happen to be one of them. Prices are likely to range from $20k on up. With $75-100k being the mean (at a guess). Flotwegg wanted almost $300k for the one they showed in Portland a couple of months back.

If you donā€™t find a Panda in a mash tun amusing against that backdrop, try putting yourself in the shoes of a guy trying to sell one of those 'fugesā€¦ make you wanna cry yet?

6 Likes

:sweat_smile: I seeā€¦glad my hillbilly stack made yā€™all smile. Lol have fun at the bizcon. Feel free to donate one of those centrifuges. Iā€™ll test it. (for science)

8 Likes

I come from a long background of ā€œkitchen/bathtub chemistryā€, so I respect effective getto design! However, the motor on the panda is open mounted in the bottom, and this makes it look like it will be submerged in ethanol in that pot.

14 Likes

Soxhlet
Regular

12h
yes, place rings on canning jars loosly then pull full vacuum on the oven. Upon releasing the vacuum in the ove the lids will seal to the jar.

4 Likes

You can also do this if you have a foodsaver canister. Place the mason jar in the foodsaver canister. Vacuum down the canister. Mason jar is sealed too. Foodsaver also makes normal and wide mouth vacuum attachments to seal jars specifically!.

10 Likes

Lol

Thats exactly what i use.
Wide mouth, regular mouth, and a mighty hand pump vac. -25hg is the deepest i can get with the mv.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing those. I wonder if any of said ā€˜fugesā€™ are approaching patent infringement on the CUP. they claim to have one in the works but for whatā€¦ I have no idea.

Funny story, When delta separations ā€˜joined forcesā€™ with that MDC Vaccuum company, they made a post on their Instagram (painful looking screenshot repost) the post had mentioned that delta separations had a patent pending on their system (first i heard of it) So when i saw that i happened to be the first to comment on the post and i inquired about the patent out of curiosity saying something like ā€œwhoa no way, I didnā€™t realize you had a patent pending on your system.ā€ obviously wondering what they could patent on a centrifuge as they have been around for yearsā€¦ 5 minutes later, comment was deleted and my account was blockedā€¦

weird way to handle things like that. Makes me wonder how many other people theyā€™ve silenced in order make it look like everyone wants a CUP. Luckily, they cant silence me on Future!

that rubbed me the wrong way. an appropriate response might have been, ā€œwe do have a patent pending, however, to protect our intellectual property, the details of which are not going to be discussedā€

5 Likes

can you say prior art? :wink:

or ā€œobvious to anyone skilled in the artā€¦ā€?

Edit: should have taken pictures of the chalkboard at the Dept of Facilitation when a buddy and I sketched out the concept in 2013. Couldnā€™t get the guys I was working for to fund it (I asked for $2500 to build a prototype). They now own a CUP 15 :wink:

2 Likes

This was a nice trick @drjackhughes shared with us!

7 Likes