This safe?

This 6” hemispheric base is garbage and at the bottom it appears to have rust on it. I’m not convinced this is very safe. Thoughts?

3 Likes

More info please @FicklePickle. Looks sketch. Is that sposed to b new?

Brand new from oss, what other info would you like?

2 Likes

This is where the drain spout goes down through the jacketed base from the inside out

2 Likes

2 dissimilar metals welded together can cause this issue.

2 Likes

Would you use this?

I wouldn’t, you paid good money for that…I would ask for a new one. My spool had a small nick on the flange. They took it back without any questions. I just sent them a pic. They were super fast on the response and replacement.

3 Likes

Some janky shit, ain’t it? Haha

5 Likes

Every welded piece I buy (from OSS) I have to clean the shit out of. I posted in the tricks and tips about cleaning the back sides of welds…with alcohol and q tips I removed a bunch of soot and grime. Their 3 inch hemi caps are what I was cleaning.

5 Likes

i would ultrasonic that at the minimum. Ive never seen anything like that ever

3 Likes

Nope…

2 Likes

I mean. I would ask for a new one, but couldn’t you clean it up pretty quickly for the mean time? I may be totally off here, but I would imagine that since one of the main goals is to keep oxygen out of your system that you’d be ok for a bit until the new part arrives. Just leave your system under negative vac when not in use and would t that stop this? For the time being of course. Definitely return that bish.

1 Like

Also from oss. Garbage indeed.

4 Likes

Holy shit!!

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues yet on my spool. It’s outside all of the time in a lean to. Time will tell

2 Likes

I’m betting all the equipment hasn’t been annealed or pickled. You should contact @Soxhlet he offers those service for relatively cheap.

You should hit up OSS and tell them they need to bite that bill if they won’t replace but tbh if that system wasnt done I’m betting none of them will be so it might be investment to take on if your using OSS equipment.

1 Like

I’m taking it back tomorrow. Definitely not going to use this.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking is that there peer review model?

1 Like

I got a 200# one from them yrs ago and the diptube was onviously not straight, not to mention the absolutely insulting welds on it. I made a big stink and they finally took it back, it was an absolute nightmare it took then weeks and many lies til it was finally shipped. They were selling stuff they didnt have and didn’t tell anyone there was a lead time, and more than a few jacketed platters that werent straight and would not seal period. I dont use them anymore

1 Like

How many bad reviews are there for OSS compared to good ones? I have had some of their pieces in the past and all were fine, but looking to get a few new items and don’t want to risk getting rusty bs

1 Like