This safe?

This is for the dip tube… please tell me how this broke. All I see is a major fountain of fuel pouring out the top…

2 Likes

304 is known to rust under certain conditions (where it doesn’t have access to oxygen), but this looks more like dirty tooling to me. Cutting heads used on ferrous materials can leave a ferrous residue when they are next used on stainless, and that residue will eventually rust. You absolutely have to clean it, and I would try running some salt water through it and letting that dry to see if you have any more issues.

1 Like

a friend was trying to remove the lid with a rubber mallet to clean it out…dunno how hard he was bashing it, but it shouldnt have broke regardless…

2 Likes

Shitty steel or improper shielding during welding can cause this.

2 Likes

Phew, thank god it was empty

1 Like

WOAH! That weld just snapped off? What did they have to say?

Ill update if they reply…

10 Likes

Hahaha, only you can speak to the quality of giraffe semen as glue. I hope they respond. How long ago was this?

4 Likes

8 mins ago

3 Likes

Sorry, how long ago was the original break?

Lol oh. Like 2 days ago.

4 Likes

@FicklePickle you remember that 25 lb tank I picked up…i just got around to putting valves on it and cleaning all gunk out of the welded bungs. No one should assume their new equipment is clean. If I haven’t cleaned it…it ain’t clean in my book.

7 Likes

One of my solvent tanks came from oss… there was soooooo much black shmek on the inside welds it was a journey and a half getting it proper. I threw everything at it. I even used a dremel and a wire wheel… it was horrible. She’s sparkly clean now passivated and such…

4 Likes

Dang! All that glitter ain’t gold!

Fucking frustrating. Due diligence to the umpfth fucking degree.

2 Likes

Almost looks like they used something like solar flux on the back side instead of purging.

1 Like

It sounds like they aren’t putting a purge on their stainless before welding it. If you take the proper steps you should not have issues with sugaring on the inside of stainless.

Edit: @BigM beat me too it, I agree with him.

2 Likes