TheLostBiologist Bucket and Post Processing Tek for Golden Extract

Thank you for sharing this hoping to use some of your methods to improve my extraction!

2 Likes

Who has a good testing lab? Just finished 2nd pass on some hexane crude that winterized and fully degummed. Let’s see what 6% t5 does on a hardline system at 150 microns. This was all freshly extracted outdoor trim from this season too

1 Like

Great write-up! You made it much easier to identify a lot of the points I lose in the chemist lingo.

1 Like

It helps to not be a chemist! Lol

3 Likes

Warm extracted hexane
Winterization -50%
Amount of tar in flask ?

Do you think the 5ml per gram ratio is possible putting it in bags first then soaking with slight agitation?

I personally found my syrup still had chunks of dry ice in it to maintain temperature, so prebagging the material separate of the ethanol solution I think would make things very difficult.

I did consider lining my solution bucket with a bag prior to making the solution, but I was concerned about the material of the bag being able to hold up to those temperatures for extended periods of time.

I won’t be using dry ice at all. I’ll be using pre chilled etho to -40c and wanting to drop bags in it

1 Like

Why not use a SS pot, put trim with dry ice inside. Let come up to temp, pour dry ice cold ethanol on tip of trim in SS pot. Stir, let sit, stir, pour into mesh catch bag to collect trim. Strain/ drain/put in panda or 'fuge, pour liquid thru a 25iu bag to collect fines. Then buchner funnel tilter with celite 545 bed to catch smaller fines. Rotovap, then distill?

This is my personal sop, and works perfectly.

3 Likes

My sop is to pack bags ahead of time so after the dunk they can go right in fuge to get solvent off fast. No dry ice in etho. I used pack in a bucket then drain and strain but drain and strain is a pain ha

2 Likes

Dry ice in the etoh and trim bag is my only way to keep cryo cold. I did a 40 min soak with my sop. Imo, it worked perfectly.

40 min that’s awesome and the color was great? See i use a heat exchanger to cool the etho down

1 Like

10 gallons in the rotovap

5 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

How do you maintain cold enough temps for 40 min? Add dry ice as it sits?

1 Like

“dry ice in the etho and trim bag”

1 Like

I did a ten minute soak instead of a 3 and a 5 because I wasn’t overly concerned with color retention, and it came out beautiful after filtering through t-5 and carbon. I did find there was a small among of stickiness left in my material, but not much really. I almost think if I had just resaturated the material with cold reserve ethanol and respun it I would’ve collected what remained.

Do you feel 40 min is really necessary for full extraction?

As for the original question, I felt like 5ml per gram wasn’t enough for what we were working with, but next time I intend to break down my chunks of dry ice into smaller bits. I ended up adding about 1L of ethanol syrup I had prepared in a side bucket to make my material more free flowing. Altogether I used 3L for 400g and was able to pull about 2.5L from my material after using my Panda. I ultimately recovered 1.5L of ethanol and only 20g of extract; not the greatest trim.

I go w a 3 single pass into panda then a 10 reusing the etho 3-4 times

From that 10 gallons of wash, got me 750ml crude to spd after decarb and purge. I havent spd yet to get a final distillaye pull

How much material did you use with the 10 gal to get 750ml?