The fake willbilly here with some gummie questions

Whats up yall, as stated Im not the blue rocks willbilly that some confuse me for. I have been working with a local chef making full spectrum CBD gummies for about a year now.The past 6 months weve been using distillate. Before we were using a in house made RSO. While we have achieved potency, we have the occasional “hot” gummy. Or super strong gummy. Most folks find this ok or “fun” but some people its just too much. These are very strong, 135mg a piece , and that is what my customer base seems to want and need, as 95% are using them for sleep. So when one is “hot” it is very strong.These are pectin and fruit based, with no Corn syrup. What I’m hoping for is some direction as to how we can achieve the most consistent product possible. Is there a tool or emulsifier im not aware of? Another thread with hidden gems? Im a small farmer owned operation, and for many reasons I cant afford to buy SOP’s at suit prices , nor does it feel right to buy an SOP. This a proprietary gummy recipe the chef made, and the goal is to stay away from corn syrup.

Im not looking for the flat out answer, but perhaps bread crumbs that will lead me down the right path.

5 Likes

Are you using a homogenizer? If not you should be

7 Likes

135mg gummies, wow. How big are they? Anything I’ve whipped up with 50mg or more has been really bitter… but they are only 2ml gummies.

1 Like

Does a sheer homogenizer work with hot pectin? Personally, for small batches I just add the oil with the food coloring so I have a visual indicator when it’s good. I also typically only make 10 to 20 mg gummies though

6 Likes

That’s an awesome idea

When are you adding the extract into the mix? Obviously you don’t want to convert everything with too much heat for too long, but you can certainly it add a little before the end and whisk everything really well for a few minutes as it get’s to your final temp/brix.

I agree with @pdxcanna, use a mixer when you add the coloring/flavoring/citric acid. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KHB1231AQ-Line-Blender-Speed/dp/B07QHQB2L9/ref=sr_1_13?crid=28ZRFMZC5B8PK&keywords=kitchenaid%2Bhand%2Bimmersion%2Bmixer&qid=1652728227&sprefix=kitchenaid%2Bhand%2Bimmersion%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-13&th=1

1 Like

I admit i glanced over the OP, didn’t read the pectin part

1 Like

We are not, but an immersion blender is the next move, the only hesitation has been with it creating air bubbles. It seems the homogenizer is designed to prevent that

We dont use food coloring otherwise that would be helpful

That is what we basically do, just with out a immersion blender

4 grams each, and there is a taste afterwords that needs to be rinsed. Most folks only need one.

1 Like

Nvm i missed his post

Both can make air bubbles if you pull them up too high (above surface of mix) and / or don’t avoid vortex’s properly.

I do not recommend either unless you have a very low shear mixing head or you risk shredding the pectin-sugar-acid matrix you have created.

Egg beater is probably a better bet.

While we have a homogenizer, an egg beater, and an immersion blender, we don’t use any of those after adding pectin for fear of shearing our activated pectin.

We have no issues with homogenizing distillate in by hand. We do 100mg distillate in a 5g gummy. 15k gram batches — 4 per shift — 1 or 2 cooks.

Are you adding it in hot & runny?

Is your slurry too thick to mix well? Add sodium citrate to prevent pre gel. You will need more acid as sodium citrate is basic.

Add bitter blocker & possibly more flavor to quell bitter taste.

Are your gummies even in gel strength? If so, you are getting your citric homogenized in well enough. So, I would be surprised if distillate wasn’t unless you weren’t getting it hot & runny before adding.

Do you pour at a consistent brix? Seal at consistent AW? Use distillate of consistent strength? These can have a big impact. Decide which you will do each at and you can back in mathematically to the distillate required for target mg THC.

Homogenization may not be the issue.

4 Likes

Have you played with any other buffer salts? I’d like to try potassium sodium tartrate like the yellow pectin uses

dilute your distillate before adding. which is in most of the gummy threads.

so see: Gummy thread (this isn’t it! links inside)

…and I would call your dosage irresponsible. especially when lacking homogeneity

2 Likes

I suggested to OP they try smaller molds with smaller doses but putting more product in 1 bag. Maybe 10 13.5mg gummies for example.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed analysis, I should have clarified a few things. These gummies are made with fruit puree,OG cane sugar, glucose syrup, citric acid, and Apple Pectin.This report of a hot gummie is probably 1 in 500- 1 in 1000 odds. We are typically making 500 at one time. I sell these D to C, and have alot of facetime interaction with my customers, so i know when this typically happens. Im just trying to make it never happen, if thats possible. I am doing 66 grams of distillate per (500) 4 gram gummies, or 4 ml gummies. The taste isnt the issue so much as wanting to achieve consistent results 100% of the time. As for gelling, im not sure. There is the occasional runny gummie or slightly wet gummie, but overall they are 97% even. Slowing the gelling down could help! We have been working to make them more heat stable for shipping, but that is a different topic.

So ive been reading up on brix, and dont have a way to measure such , but there is a difference in the stability from fruit to fruit. Im not sure what AW is? As for the consistent strength of the distillate, I buy one liter at a time from a trusted friend, can the strength vary that much within a single liter of distillate? It is added when it is hot and runny , and then mixed and quickly poured. Thank you for all the thoughts so far!

My consumers are use to taking 135mg per serving, so the solution would have to increase 10 fold, thus not making it cost effective. I offer this 10 pack at $15, and a 40 pack at $50.

1 Like

Well Im trying to find out if it is a homogeneous issue, and this is 1/500-1/1000 odds, and while I could offer a lower dose, and a higher price, im trying to provide this as an affordable sleep aid, and that is what 95% of my consumer wants. I have a 10mg gummie for folks that want that. I make it very clear on my packaging that these are very strong gummies. I have thought about lowering the dose, but as stated 95% of consumers seem to find relief at this rate. Irresponsible is selling D8 gummies as CBD gummies, which is what pretty much everyone else is doing🤷‍♂️

1 Like

I have not.

1 Like