Terpenes as a solvent

Came across this article:

Some good info, thought I’d share! If anyone has anything to add to the topic I’d love to hear it.

1 Like

Id assume u want to use a relatively low bp terpene isolate, in order to efficiently recover your “solvent”.
Im just curious about the dewaxing part

1 Like

The article was a bit above my head, but reading about it is how we learn. I like the idea of using terps as a solvent to make diamonds.

5 Likes

If someone would like to dive into how Terps can be used to make diamonds I would love to hear about it or feel free to point to reference for more info. Cheers

2 Likes

It’s been mentioned a few times

5 Likes

Get ur terps up to 140F. Dump in as much resin until it stops disolving, close it up. Cool in fridge, then place on heat mat for a week

8 Likes

And that my friends is how you super saturate!!!

8 Likes

I wonder if a jar designed like a heatcore banger would work even better?

Maybe even get a loop inside the core to run thermal fluid through.
My idea is if u put the seed ontop of the core it will grow much bigger instead getting stangled by all the surrounding small crystals

4 Likes

Limonene extraction was Horatio Delbert’s prized work. I have done a lot of variations of his ideas over the years and produced some really cool extracts.

Back in like 2017 I made “Liamonds” in a mason jar over heat by accident using d-Limonene. Didn’t do it any different than you would with butane, although that was not my plan at the time. It actually formed nice little pebbles pretty quick. My favorite was dissolving in limonene, freezing, and filtering just like you would winterizing with ethanol. No idea why but it yielded a really beautiful extract. Perfect glowing transparency and really unique consistently without any overbearing limonene taste either. Came out lighter as well without the use of CRC. It does take an abnormally long to purge off and it’s tough to say if equipment is suitable for handling high volumes of Limonene. I could see it wrecking a system if it wasn’t equip for it.

Not my brightest moment but I did try the same process with adsorbents and not surprisingly it all just pretty much vanished in the funnel, never to be seen again. I probably should have expected that though.

I think limonene would work better on older and dried out material. It doesn’t seem to pull as much chlorophyll. It may be useful in remediation of aged material and it definitely would be a nightmare to purge in the presence of moisture. Limonene pretty much will never evaporate if there’s water in it.

I’ve looked into other monoterpenes with lower boiling points but they would not be cost effective to produce. I definitely think limonene is capable of extracting a unique composition of cannabinoids and volatiles though so it’s not a bad route to explore.

7 Likes

Hop terps could be a good cheap source aswell for the same mono terpenes cannabis has

4 Likes

LHO! I was waiting for the (RIP) Horatio reference. He had a prized secret refinement method for his Limonene he said made all the difference. I always wanted to try his LHO but I’m on the wrong coast. I wonder if he held that refinement secret to the grave.

3 Likes

There’s a ton of sesquiterpenes (caryophyllene/humulene) in hops EO that would make it very difficult to remove not to mention a ton of other aromatic compounds that would be a mess to test for on residuals.

Ocimene’s boiling point is more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit below limonene so that’s been more my focus. It’s usually sold as a mixture of isomers so it’s not perfect but it might be a little easier to test for residuals. It would be rough on any plastics/rubber etc though.

1 Like

pretty sure he just co-distilled it with water.

2 Likes

Limonene LLE?

1 Like

This paper goes over it well, I shared this on Icmag years back:

Applying this to the limonene example, the amount of water required to distill 0.5 g of d-limonene can be
calculated.
SEE PAPER FOR FORMULA
water = 0.7 g

2 Likes

Great reference!!! :facepunch:

I have an SOP that lists limonene as a choice for LLE but have never tried it myself.

2 Likes