Terminology?

Could you guys (with pictures or links) explain the differences between all these damn labels??

“Raw Hemp Extract”
“Full/Broad Spectrum CBD”
“TFree Distillate”
“Crude CBD Oil”

Is everything going into CBD products a distillate or isolate?
Even the stuff they are claiming to be “raw”?

My guess is “Raw” is CO2 extracted crude. I don’t think many people mess with hydrocarbons and hemp. Hemp ethanol crude is…not good raw. Sometimes I have seen raw to mean unwinterized.

My understanding with full/broad spectrum is that full spectrum is just distillate. Broad spectrum is somehow or another remediated to below 0.3% THC. That leaves T-Free to mean non-detect. Generally their price increases in this order too.

Crude CBD oil is somewhere after extraction but before distillation. Winterized or not, decarbed or not.

4 Likes

Raw is crude

1 Like

This nomenclature is somewhat interchangeable; but the way I personally see it is;

Raw extract - is the raw material extracted with no processing steps taken to purify; perhaps even a freshly extracted tincture with solvent still.

Full spectrum- is an oil/distillate with a complete spectrum of active compounds; including THC.

Broad spectrum- is an oil/distillate with a smaller spectrum of active compounds; typically THC will be below the legal threshold; and it is “compliant”

Tfree- non detect THC; THC is below the detection limit so its “free” of THC

Crude CBD oil is the most broad imo; it’s not as raw as the raw extract; it may have had post processing techniques applied to it to further purify it. Ie; winterization; refinement filtration; LLE etc etc. Solvent HAS been recovered from this material.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

No, but if you ask the all knowing one and post links and pictures here you’ll save lots of people valuable time. This crowd will be more than happy to point out any ambiguities or errors.

Typing those terms in here is likely to land you in the classifieds most of the time.

@BR-Instrument’s & @RockSteady’s responses are also a great starting point.

All except “crude” are marketing terms, and crude means different things to different people (quality-wise not process-wise).

You’re not planning on starting an extraction business are you?

4 Likes

I dunno, I prefer this response: What does "full spectrum distillate" mean? - #15 by shattertramp :joy:

4 Likes

Thank you for your response! :pray:

1 Like

Yes that clears up a lot, thank you!

Are you familiar with the laws?
Anything sold on the market HAS to be below 0.3% THC, correct?
Or does just the hemp it was extracted from need to be below 0.3%?

I figured they were marketing terms… MFs
I saw a company that had “Whole Spectrum” on their bottle > “Full Spectrum” in their title of the product > and “Broad Spectrum” when referring to it in the description :man_facepalming:

No sir, not starting an extraction business. I do CO2 extraction right now for a company but was trying to learn the terminology for a possible CBD startup.

2 Likes

My favorite I’ve seen is “true spectrum” :joy:

3 Likes

:neutral_face:

2 Likes