T5 makes dabs taste worse!

OK so no, molecules don’t really have ‘exoskeletons’, but in organic chemistry, we sometimes refer to the main core of the molecule as the ‘skeleton’ or backbone of the molecule. Bleaching is an oxidative process which essentially adds oxygen to parts of the skeleton. Often, when coloured compounds are oxidized (ie bleached), they become colourless. Meaning, bleaching clays are indeed manipulating the exoskeleton of the molecule, not removing the molecule altogether. It’s more like they’re chemically converting the pigment molecule into a different molecule that is not pigmented. So there may be some credit to this guy and his claims about T5. In order to have colour, molecules need certain properties in their ‘exoskeleton’ and bleaching clay alters the skeleton in a way that no more colour is produced. Here’s a fancier paper that is more articulate that I am:

That being said, oxidized molecules are almost always more polar than their non-oxidized analogues. They are therefore more easily retained on silica. So, if you have T5 in your process, maybe try adding a silica adsorbent downstream, and comment on the taste difference.

Hope this sheds a little light into what I think that distributor was talking about!

4 Likes

You are taking the bleaching too literally. We are using bleaching clays, but I dont believe we are actually bleaching in the traditional sense. In my understanding we are really only filtering out undesirables using adsorbants and only achieve a color change due to removal of those unwanted compounds. I understand what you’re getting at I just dont think it applies to CRC tech.

6 Likes

I agree that T5 at least mostly filters by adsorbtion. But bentonite clays have been long known to catalyze oxidation, so it’s hard to rule out. Just looking at the coin from both sides here.

6 Likes

Well this was one helluva rabbit hole to stick my internet nose in so early in the morning. Smells YMCA funny around here.

What’s the verdict on this olfactory burnt rubber assault? Bad gas from Cortland or shit material with a giant ratio of decarbed lipids to push through CRC filter media that furthers an already accelerated oxidation rate?

more like vagisil amirite?

Bad gas from cortland, had the same experience. Horrible horrible horrible, dumped all 3 120# tanks

We had Cortlands Gas analyzed as well as a control sample from Oxarc. I will share the results with everyone this evening. Sucks you had to dump the tanks, this happened to us recently as well and also with Cortland gas (surely they will dissapear and reappear with a new label and name soon). Sometimes its worth the extra hundo or two to know ur gas is legit. Couple bad runs and dumping gas ends up costing way way more in the long run.

3 Likes

very interested to hear about the oxarc test data. ive had a hunch about some bad fills from them for the past yr or so, and whatever these abnormal contaminants are, they seem to co-distill with the tane.

2 Likes

I would like to see that, to compare to what i was told and what i know and experienced im sure the three will be worlds apart. What kind of there gas did you test?

From 60lb’s of Oxarc n-butane

2 Likes

Cortlands gas is contaminated. Purchased in Eugene from Elite Solvent company. It is irresponsible to be selling butane of industrial 96% percent. There are sulfur compounds that explain the smell we have all been experiencing. Shame on them and Cortland for contributing contaminants to our products. My advise is know your gas distributor and thier supply chain. If you can’t ascertain a clean supply or valid credentialing process have it tested. Ill stick with Oxarc/Apis for my gas because they stand behind it and besides their gas tested as advertised. I Still distill the gas no matter if its 99.99 percent or not.

2 Likes

This is the Oxarc sample data: came back 99.999%

3 Likes

Can you dm me the paper for cortland for when i go in there.

Yes i will

1 Like

Hey YourMomGoesToCollege,

I just wanted to chime in, if you feel like you’ve gotten bad gas from us, would you be able to message me directly? Concentrated_humbold and dxmimg have both expressed that they’re unhappy with cortland gas in a previous post, but this is the first we’re hearing of our butane being off. We have gas chromograph equipment that we use to test every batch of our hydrocarbons. Here’s a copy of our COA that we offer to any customer that asks. We’re having a sample of our butane being tested at a third party facility to verify the COA’s results.

N-Butane CEL COA 04162020 (1).pdf (155.4 KB)

@thc_gas I’ve been leaning toward the ancient starting material having been so decarbed that the fats and lipids had no choice but to turn linolene into linoleum flavor-wise. Cortland and THC are cool by me :100:

1 Like

Lab results proved that Cortlands Gas is contaminated. I didnt buy the gas thru THC gas. Dont even know who you are or why your chiming in. Whats your physical address of thc_gas analytical lab? According to Cortland energy they have other distributors in US and they verified who supplied me. The more i dig into this Cortland rabbit whole, the less i like it. You buy whole tanks at 350 for a reason. I stand on the results. Anyone can call the analytical lab to verify the results. You are preying on amatuer extractors thinking we cant say anything if gas is tainted. You are poisoning people with your trash. I recommend another trusted member test the gas they have from Cortland to put this to rest. We need to keep them accountable, this goes to the heart of what we do. Keeping our product safe

4 Likes

How much do you need to send in and how, i might be able to get a lb or so outta one of the tanks.

I’m chiming in because THC Gas is the main distributor to Cortland Energy. I said that we were the only distributor which is technically true, Cortland has had a long standing agreement with Elite Solvents who you bought your tanks from, that we haven’t taken on (yet). I’m chiming in because you’re smearing Cortland energy all over future4200 and I’d like to know why, because you’re now starting to affect the businesses that support a few families that I happen to care very much about.

Your lab results proved that the gas that was in an unmarked tank was contaminated. Cortland labels all of their tanks. The tank wasn’t identified in your report, so we have no idea what you used. Despite that, we took a sample directly from our processing plant at Cortland to be tested at a facility that is actually qualified to test for high purity hydrocarbons, because our equipment says 99.96%+.

They stated that the sample that you’d given them from oxarc was 99.999% pure, despite finding presence of carbon dioxide, isobutane, and nitrogen in their sample as well, from the lab report that you posted in full. When we called the company to ask about their procedures, they said that they can only test to the billionth, so if they found presence of other gases, why wasn’t that accounted in the 99.999% result? I’m sorry, but that literally doesn’t add up.

I’m curious why you didn’t take the tanks back to the shop that you bought from. I would think that after getting back results that the gas was only 96%, you’d return the tanks and demand your money back, that’s a pretty big deviation from “high purity”. If I bought industrial quality gas at high purity prices, I’d have someone’s head. Elite Solvents seem like a decent group of guys, too. Just got off the phone with them. They said that they’ve attempted to rectify this situation with you numerous times, offered to pay for the damages and give you a refund. You just needed to verify that you’ve bought and used bad gas that you bought from them. You’ve refused to follow through, they actually don’t know who you are beyond your future4200 handle. Doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense if you’re just looking to buy high purity solvents to make clean meds, and had a bad experience.

Both Elite Solvents and our company, THC Gas, have ZERO issue fixing a bad gas issue. THC Gas doesn’t have any qualms about accepting returned tanks if for any reason, the extractor feels that it is unsafe. That’s how much we give a shit. It is rare, but we fix it. We’ll offer an immediate refund or an exchange. We offer our COAs to anybody that asks. We try to be as transparent as possible because we’re smoking what you guys are making.

Oh, also, we do sell tanks for $350, but you have to buy them 20 tanks at a time. Not quite sure what that was supposed to prove, but our retail for 100lb tanks is $650 plus tax, for any pure tank or blends.

I’d love to help you out, but as it stands it looks like you’re only interested in running a smear campaign against Cortland Energy. The only people I’ve ever seen behaving like this are usually people in the resellers game. If you’ve had a genuine bad experience with Cortland Energy, you can always hit us up, pm me, call Elite Solvents, and we’ll fix the situation, no problem. Not quite sure what your angle is, trying to paint us all as evil demons out here slinging toxic bullshit at people just for kicks, but we aren’t.