T5 makes dabs taste worse!

Dirty Arm Farm is claiming some wild things about T5 and color remediation tech. Saying he uses 7 powders and dabs need to be acidic not neutral. Sounds like some marketing crap to push his product, which I tried and enjoyed, and just seems unnecessary. Unless there is some truth to these claims? So what do you all think, is he pushing an agenda or leaking tech for the free?

6 Likes

To me it reminds much of og cannabis. He says he’s using 6-7 powders but doesn’t consider this polishing turds while us using t5 are polishing turds.

I really wanted to comment but I think @otscc and @murphymurri said it more eloquently then I probably would have.

I’m really unsure what to think here. It really seems like it’s a personal vendetta with carbon chemistry. He made a comment about @Shadownaught which made me think this is more personal then product related. He could be upset with people calling their shittier concentrates hater tears and they are confusing dirty’s Concentrates for them shittier ones. I’m not sure what to think. The second I went back to crc with cold solvent. My extract taste came right back. It’s practically the same taste with and without crc so I’m really confused.

I can’t wait to see how this thread turns out.

6 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t know enough about this topic but it’s really an interesting claim. He makes the point about bleaching vs removing pigments, excited to hear others feedback and experiences with that!

I haven’t been paying much attention to this recent stuff because its mostly stupid shit that sounds smart to people that need guidance.

We are producing and purifying a very complex mix of compounds. When you remove some of the compounds it can make others more apparent, like how some shitty old trim run shatter tastes better before dewaxing than it does after. CRC will improve color but won’t add odor or flavor compounds…where would that happen and how? What is more likely, is that after color bodies, lipids, and flavonoids (used in food production as flavor maskers) are removed, you are now tasting your remaining compounds in a different arrangement than you may be used to.

As for the, “are you bleaching chlorophyll or removing it?” Statement; thats a dumb thing to say in a conversation about T5 as the bleaching he’s referring to would line up more with an acidic media like T41. Either way, chlorophyll is a very heavy compound that is easy for absorbents to latch onto…so while it may make Dirty feel good to think no one else is “removing chlorophyll” thats pretty much exactly what everyone in the industry is doing. Even with T41, the carbon content is there to support the acidic clay with a high surface area trap for contaminants.

Like I said, I haven’t paid this much attention. I’ve seen and tasted plenty of results made by great operators that use CRC and Carbon Chemistry products. Results vary, techniques vary, skill level varies. @Killa12345

Edit: TIL molecules have exoskeletons. What exactly does Dirty think is happening to chlorophyll? If he is saying that your concentrate needs to be acidic…he might be acidicly bleaching his chlorophyll and not even knowing it! Pigments are either absorbed or change color reflection based on charge…there is no exoskeleton.

pH wise; T5 is neutral, alumina is neutral, carbon is mostly neutral, DE is neutral, Celite is neutral, T41 is acidic, DGC is acidic, MagSilPR is alkaline. The reason anthocyanins turn purple in magsilPR is that the molecular charge changes and the frequency that the molecule reflects changes accordingly (higher frequency towards red, lower frequency towards purple). These changes take a very decent amount of pH swing to become apparent.

37 Likes

I thought aa had a lower ph, i have noticed when i use aa and t41 together i tend to get a pink oxidation. I thought that would be due to a lower ph. As per a flavor my gf says that why i use powders there is a slight flavor that stands out. I believe that it has to due with things being removed like shadow mentioned

1 Like

Pigment exoskeleton? The only exoskeletons used in the industry are the tiny remains of sea creatures referred to as diatomaceous earth.People like this are what keeps me going!

37 Likes

He seems to be misinformed about adsorbents. I get this all the time from the local haters. I have to explain it by grabbing something and telling them this is made of 100 parts. How many parts are thc? The adsorbents pull whatever is not thc which in turn clarifies/lightens up the extract. That is why crc stuff tests higher. It’s called filtration nothing is being bleached or painted white.

27 Likes

Alumina in general, at least the product we sell, is neutral. T41, however, has a relative pH of 3…so in the system you describe T41 is providing the acidity.

Also, alumina is amphoteric, so in the presence of moisture and other pH modifying compounds (T41, MagSilPR, citric acid, NaOH, etc) the alumina can change in pH value slightly. You can actually tune your alumina by soaking it in pH adjusted water or ethanol and then drying the AA. The AA Will now have a relative pH closer to the liquid you soaked it in.

Side note, I’ve seen people say T41 improves stability. I’ve heard reference that cannabinoids crystallize better in acidic conditions and stay maleable(sappy) in alkaline conditions. Due to T41 acidity there is possibility that this explains the extra stability…and would suggest T41 scrub could help CBD crystallize faster :wink:

Second side note, T5 and T41 are product codes created by Carbon Chemistry and are not generic names for clay that can be found elsewhere. It is worthwhile to make sure products with these names come from a Carbon Chemistry distributor, like @Killa12345 or you may be getting a knock off with unknown properties.

17 Likes

Follow up on flavor, if an operator does a warm butane extraction there is a chance that lighter fats and heavier terps make it to collection. Oxidized fats and oxidized/polymerized heavy terps seem to be a good candidate for burnt rubber flavors.

Back in the day we would have that burnt rubber taste come through on old ass trim, or trim that has sat around while wet, that had been “cleaned up” through cryo extraction + good filtration, even though the color would improve a little in comparison with normal room temp extraction (2013-2014). With CRC, the color improves A LOT but it sounds like the same problem. This leads me to think that this taste is probably coming from the actual material itself as I’ve never heard about this from people running fresh material.

10 Likes

Read some interesting claims in those IG comments declared as fact. Made me think of this folder in the dump

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1kivwbap1JU2fmFfikRbO-D0as29kS53J

1 Like

Seems like he is misinformed and might be alluding to the husk/shell of the trich. This was left on Instagram?

hes a very smart guy I think he knows what the trichome elements are. Some people seem to like to spread propaganda for some reason.

1 Like

I’m talking about the guy who wrote " T5 leaves behind the exoskeleton of the pigment." If you can please post a magnified picture of a "pigment exoskeleton “. I wonder where the " golden” color comes from when I process kief into an extract.

yea were talking about the same guy he posted this pic a few weeks ago

The one if the trichs?

yes dirty arm farm posted the trichs and had this to say

" This is science ,it has no feelings, it doesnt have a extract preference it’s simply science.
I enjoy smoking both solventless hash and hydrocarbon extracts.
The primary difference between a mechanical(solventless) and solvent extraction is in it’s chemical profile. Hydrocarbon extracts will typically have a far more complex mixture of cannabinoids, terpenes, flavanoids etc. Due to the fact that many trichome structures on the plant that contain the chemical make-up, are not infact glandular. Glandular trichomes contain a vast amount of components that gives a strain it’s distinct effects as well as the smell and taste.Solventless only captures glandular heads leaving behind many naturally occuring chemicals and potentially higher concentrations of certain cannabinoids like cbc, where hydrocarbon, extracts all the glands and cystolith hairs, capitate sessile, as well as bulbous trichomes (no stalk) and way more .However,many of the components that you would typically be consuming through vaporizing or smoking flower are left behind in a solventless method. Hydrocarbon based extractractions are more chemically intact than it’s mechanical counterparts. And in most cases will be a more pure representative of the strain that has been extracted. "

9 Likes

Hahaha!!! my findings could be correct! Now I just need to test ph on two samples of same material from The same run one Non t-41 and one t-41 and see the ph differences

2 Likes

I run very cold, not taliking about a burnt rubber taste. This is different or it could be pin pointed. Like you stated, things not there that are usually. i believe it just a purer product

4 Likes

does it taste like sulfur

Yea it sounds like gibberish, which to the uninitiated, sounds quite impressive. Molecules don’t have exoskeletons. If that’s the case, show us some analytical data ( like an NMR which can deduce molecular structure). So much misinformation out there

1 Like