Switching from NPT to Compression Fittings

I had thought of using some area’s of hard pipe to clamp onto but am trying to avoid making the lengths and size of the manifolds much larger.

I hadnt thought of the bulk head fittings!

Im currently using pipe strap and it looks and feels ghetto.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, Ill see what I can come up with/afford.

1 Like

https://www.swagelok.com/en/product/tubing-and-tube-accessories/support-system

I’ve welded these to a SS frame before and they work like a charm.

Change your manifold to use hard pipe. If you absolutely need hoses put attachments at the end of the hard pipe

2 Likes

these might be cheaper, although love me some swagelok!

5 Likes

Nice big sizes available too, was getting excited thought they might have a 6"er. I hate the look of the common material tube hangers. The swagelok hangers are reasonably priced if ya only need a couple too, $13CAD for a half inch hanger and two rail nut mounts.

Found a slightly used swagelok 1/2" bender for $250 recently too, Im slowly leveling up…

3 Likes

Damb im super impressed with what you did with those kegs! Did you have any issues during welding with the thicker basemetals of the fittings? Warping of the keg material?
I want to swap all my fittings and guages now.

1 Like

Keg to triclamp ferrule is certainly not a beginner trick, but the guy who has done all my kegs to this point has been doing it for years. https://synergybrew.com/

The guy I’m working with now is also a welding instructor, so I do most of the setup myself, and then watch how he stitches it all together.

I’ve been using a hot glue gun (mig welder) for years, but am still a long way from running anything I’ve tig welded, even with ethanol.

4 Likes

Open root is always a bit of a bitch but thinwall especially. Need plenty of backpurge to get that wedding band.

Cheater’s trick that works in a 4" or bigger: fusion weld the inside, then use a whiz wheel to gouge down from the outside and fill. Saves you having to weld open root full penetration but it costs an extra inspection if you’re an ASME shop which is why you’ll never seen it done this way professionally.

2 Likes

I ended up buying a nice little Miller tig setup ive been playing with. Ive been applying the majority of the heat on the thicker fitting metal and dragging the puddle to the base plate before adding the filler rod. It comes out pretty nice. Not a professional by any means and still afraid to use anything I’ve welded on my setup​:laughing: I’d like to get my welding skills up to Par with cycopaths welds. There nice and clean, no gouges with a clean even bead. Then I can start building some shit :+1::+1:

1 Like

NOT my welds!

but I’m working on it.

3 Likes

For critical welds, beveling to similar thickness is usually advised if possible. Regardless, full penetration to the root of the thinner material is necessary. Once the root is full pen it’s usually not much of an issue, but for tricky material I’ll grind the tip of the filler to a point and actually start the arc there. The issue with starting the puddle on the thicker part is that the other edge will have a tendency to retreat like a frenchman.

4 Likes

Yeah for sure, it does tend to do that now you mention it.

Im gonna have to give that a whirl next time with the filler rod. Thats a great pointer :+1:

1 Like

Just be careful it doesn’t cause poor penetration on a fillet weld. You don’t want to “hide” the root with your filler (hence the ground down top)

1 Like

@SidViscous :+1: what is that in your profile pic? Did you build it?

That is a cross bore for a pin closure on a 20L 30ksi pressure vessel that I bored on a 1996 Leadwell VMC with a bad spindle taper to a 16 finish. That was interrupted because the ~50" bore also needed to be +/- .0005 and 16 rms

Edit: pretty proud of that one

5 Likes

Weld preps on the thicker material is the way to go, for thin stuff pulse will change your life!

3 Likes

Agreed. I run a tigperfect on my ESAB and it was the best $100 I ever spent. Couldn’t do .020 tube to tube sheet without it I don’t think and I don’t care to find out

2 Likes

Never had the pleasure of using one of those, looks fancy!

4 Likes

Only because I’m too cheap for a real pulse setup lol. Did the trick. Combined it with an old lathe chuck, a treadmill motor, and a stepdown gearbox and made a pretty sweet orbital welder out of it too

6 Likes

We Run the aircrafter welding positioners, a Lincoln precision and a miller dynasty for the machines.

I don’t have a pic of the amada laser

I made a bunch of fixtures that bolt on where the top plate attaches.
We have a cold wire feeder and a machine torch too for doing tanks.

8 Likes