Switching from NPT to Compression Fittings

Yes, if the fitting on the lid is a bore-through compression fitting, you can insert a tube of any length, and easily make dip tubes!

Just cut a notch at the bottom of the tube so it doesn’t sit flush. Clean up the burrs and send it to the bottom of the tank!

I’ve talked a lot of crap about OSS valves and wont use them. But I’ve used some of their compression end caps with no problems! Wouldn’t hesitate to use them again either.

Corlee Valve & Fitting has some neat tri-clamp, compression adapters too. They have up to 6" end caps with mild domes, not the same style as the OSS or other typical hemispheric caps.

4 Likes

That OSS endcap?
Probably not without drilling it out.

Not a particularly difficult trick, although I admit to fucking it up at least once. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

These ones yes.

I’ve only used the 1.5 to 1/2”. And only with ethanol. they explicitly state “not designed for high pressure”…but 100psi is not “high pressure” for 1/2” compression. I’ve not run them above 15psi.

I’ve had most of mine custom made. Including drilling out fittings because it was faster or cheaper than buying them
As pass through.

Bvv had predrilled fittings at one point

3 Likes

Both Swagelok and parker sell bored through fittings for dip tubes or whatever.
Just add -BT to the part number.

5 Likes

correct. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions, Ill walk you thru. This was a game changer for me not needing a bottom spout on larger vessels.

2 Likes

What do you mean by clockable

1 Like

Awesome, at some point i will go compression,
I wonder if you ran a dipper into a material column at the depth you like, would it be able to get better performance when injecting?

Would you recommend for hydrocarbons?

I’m pretty comfortable drilling things out, but this ain’t a car :rofl:

1 Like

Clockable means it can rotate 360, so you can set your fittings any direction you like

Not like threaded fittings that have a stop point

4 Likes

Thanks. Thats a great feature.

2 Likes

Is a end cap with a tube stub a thing? My searching only came up with the compression end as discussed above

3 Likes

Not sure about a catalog item but I’m sure someone with a tig welder could make one up for you in a jiffy. Maybe @Soxhlet might be your guy?

4 Likes

Im just wondering why I havent seen it before, other than maybe on custom rig pics, so more of a logistic question if there was any reason not to do it. Im about to make an order from my regular fabricator / supplier and was thinking I might as well convert my caps and ditch the threaded adapters Id have to use!

2 Likes

The only reasons I could think why you’d want one is to put a compression valve right after or if you were going to run butt welded tubing. In the latter case, well, you could probably make your own and in the former I’d imagine most would opt to weld the valve on directly and just weld a compression adapter on the other side

Edit: only pointing out why they’re probably uncommon

1 Like

yeah I was thinking a compression valve right after or direct to a cross with valves and pressure gauges. I trust a tube stub on a end cap more than a compression fitting, Id rather supply the compression fittings. Just got my superlok valves in! Scooped 10 swagelok crosses for $10CAD a piece too!

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good score. Hell I’d have bought those just for the spare nuts and ferrules lol

2 Likes

ETS uses both configurations on their systems

3 Likes

We could easily whip one up. Usually we weld a compression fitting directly to the cap, that way when you replace the tube/hose/ valve you just need a new ferrule and nut for the fitting.

6 Likes

Are there specific made components to mount fittings? I have a manifolds of tee’s and cross’s similar to what is made in this video: How to Save Space and Reduce Leaks With Swagelok Adapter Elbows and Tees - YouTube
and need a way to mount them to a surface, both vertical and flat surface mount. I know there is good pipe mounts/clamps but most of my manifolds use hoses not hard pipe.

Thanks

1 Like

Not really, perhaps uni strut? Typically we laser cut a bracket to hold fittings, or panel mount valves. Need something?

3 Likes

Maybe consider changing to hard tubing for a couple sections? Other great option is to use bulkhead fittings and make L brackets that fit the bulkhead but. I’m sure swagelok probably even sells them but they’d be $$$ and super cheap for any sheet metal shop to make

2 Likes