Switching from NPT to Compression Fittings

I would also be interested in that contact info if you don’t mind!

1 Like

I’d also be interested

1 Like
6 Likes

As a side note, ive noticed the chinese ball valves really just need to be opened up and cleaned prior to tightening.

Ive found big chunks of metal and other stuff on the sealing surfaces.

The PTFE seals get marred when you tighten everything down with those chunks in there

Theyre still junk but ive had better success doing this

5 Likes

Phil, generally speaking NPT threads are not designed to seal without thread tape as the thread tape is integral to their functioning correctly. They are not a reliable way to seal a system. All of the leak test stands I have built in my career all use compression fittings. I send my employees to a short half day class on how to properly prepare the tubes and properly set these fittings. Also note that fittings for a vacuum versus positive pressure are different. You can find the leak rates of various Swagelok compression fittings in this report.

5 Likes

Besides leak rates, NPT fittings don’t seat at a predictable depth and you have to turn them until tight AND pointing in the right direction. Sometimes it is impossible. Compression fittings don’t require any rotation of the tube.

5 Likes

McMaster has a nice selection if you need something quick and easy to shop.

1 Like

is this something you have experienced? swagelok told us this as well but my BS meter pinged, as did our engineer who has vast experience with this stuff

If you compare them, Swagelok and Parker fuerreles are very different in design.
I have made up thousands of these fittings and cannot say I have not mixed types in a pinch.
If you really crank it down, mixed parts will work but only to low pressures.
They will leak at high pressure or vacuum no matter how much you tighten them.
A Parker part in a Swagelok fitting will jam and ruin the fitting when really torqued.
God only knows about Chinese repops but i have gotten decent stuff from Buy Fittings Online .com.

4 Likes

I think you may have me mistaken for somebody singing the praises of NPT :wink:

care to share where that class you send your employees to is held?

4 Likes

Most swagelok local suppliers can provide the training. I had some engineers from swagelok that offered to do some onsite training when they came to visit

6 Likes

Anybody know a plug for column lids with welded compression stubs instead of NPT?

2 Likes

Open source steel

7 Likes

Weird, that wasnt on their site

1 Like

It most definitely is, look up lid or cap.

I bought this 3 days ago

4 Likes

yeah, but 1/2" would be better…

4 Likes

I think the compression fitting are pretty great. Especially for dip tubes. Much more versatile and as mentioned satisfies my OCD when all valves end up in the position I want the first try

5 Likes

What is site address?Thanks in advance

If that lid wasn’t a shower head, you could pass tubing as far through as needed?
Making a diptube any length would be huge

3 Likes

https://www.opensourcesteel.com/collections/end-caps

1 Like