Summit Hochstrom Filter vs bel art tabletop buchner (use with cryo EtOH )

they have their downfalls but if you could get a weight ring made up they might work ok. i see them from 1000-3000 on alibaba

2 Likes

I still want someone to prove this to me beyond “I tried it and it works.” I have yet to see empirical data in that regard, but I see someone on this forum mention it every other day.
If it does not precipitate all of the fats, approximately what percentage remains in the solution?
I don’t have my own lab these days for testing.

What happens when you redissolve that filtered extract in ethanol at 8:1 or 10:1 (ethanol:oil) and freeze it for 48 hours at -85°C?

That round-bottom flask collection is hysterical.

Replace it with a stainless steel collection. Nothing about that flask makes sense. Heavy piece of metal resting on a glass joint. It also holds less volume than a cylinder of the same radius as that sphere. And the vacuum (or vapor discharge) port is lower than the point of liquid collection. I’d put a dip-tube at the collection, that extends below the vacuum/vapor port.

4 Likes

A 60psi sprayer pump on an N.B.Oler filter gets a half gallon per minute on avg. Make sure your seals can handle the solvent and temp.Try to leave the debris on the bottom of your containers and pass that through your filter at the end for best results.

Try to get something you can pressurize so you can put the discharge into large containers.

1 Like

I have the 50l model from lanphan and believe it’s 450mm.

I’ve found as long as I push down the filter paper evenly and filter at least 2 gallons at a time the weight of the liquid will keep the paper flush.

A centering ring would be a nice upgrade however.

2 Likes

I paid about $900 for my 50l vacuum filter from lanphan, not sure what shipping would be on it alone as it was shipped along with my 50l rotovap and chiller.

4 Likes

You can buy a 10L Neutch for $750 spend another $50 on a retention plate and a cheap inline tap from a hydroponic store put it after the glass tap on the drain port and youv a very efficient filter, the glass on glass discharge tap can be inclined to leak under vac we leave it open ad drain via inline tap.

Wev been playing around with ideas ourselves, we dont have the same access to spools bases clamps etc. here in Ireland as say the US. My buddy works on pharma fit outs he knocked this up in his spare time. Were going to cap it pressurize and vac. The diameters is smaller then id like but it shows you what can be done on the fly with some stainless parts, a welder, drill and some hand tools

9 Likes

Sorry thats the 20L neutch at $750 Terry @Terry_Manager will help with these there a good unit for the cost we couldn’t make one at that price

1 Like

Very nice design, I like the stout frame! Is your filter plate compressed between the two flanges on the upper part of the column?

Thanks, yes filter plate is between top flanges

1 Like

Love the TC drawing is it cool to use it? Im going to ask my friend to fab it up

1 Like

Yeah man I shared it for the community to use! No sense in trying to keep something made completely from off the shelf components proprietary, do it up and post your results!

2 Likes

IMO bel art is a nice starting point but have bad edge leaks that are only sort of remedied by compressing the od with a ratchet strap or bungee, what they really should do is offer a poly ring that can squish the edge of a 24" coffee filter (for the 18" dia bel art) to help you retain vacuum depth and increase throughout. I made one for mine when we were still on a winterization process and had to do over 400 gals of crude mix at 10:1 etoh:crude ratio

2 Likes

Went with the Lanphan. Hard to beat the value, will just have to be careful with the glass.

3 Likes

bet I can… :wink:

beer kegs hold vacuum. available of craigslist for ~$50.
you can tri-clamp directly to the oem sanke flange.
https://www.amazon.com/Horiznext-homebrew-stainless-weldless-bulkhead/dp/B07LDQPPRY will get you a vacuum port.

Comparing vacuum filters - #3 by cyclopath shows the rest of the setup. simply welding a 2" ferrule rather than the 6" I used would allow the mixer bowl ($60 used) to clamp directly to the keg. I just happen to have a perforated stainless disk that was cut from somewhere else than fit nicely in there, it should be obtainable for $50-60 cut to size (so it fits snugly in the bowl, without additional support). assuming your welder charges $100 for installing the 2" ferrule (mine certainly wouldn’t), you’re looking at less than $300.

9 Likes

Badass design, but hey time is money and sometimes its worth it to save the time.

2 Likes

Where do you hook up the vacuum pump on it?

Is it worth 15k

probably not, there are good margins on extraction gear.

you take vacuum off on the stopcock with the hose barb on the glass unit, near the top of the sphere

1 Like

A bag filter has surface area no buchner can match and no glass involved. I’m serious you’ll be filtering sludge in the 10s of GPM range. Buchners suck. They are designed to be useful when the solids are what needs to be recovered, which is not what they are usually being used for here.

8 Likes