Summit Hochstrom Filter vs bel art tabletop buchner (use with cryo EtOH )

Any input on which would be better? Im running cryo ethanol bucket tech extraction so I’ll probably be building a bentonite/AC bed on the filters. Any Feedback Appreciated, I don’t want filtration to be a nightmare.

Hochstrom

Bel Art Tabletop Buchner

Totally depends on what you are running. How cold? How much volume? What’s the end product? What’s your budget?

Both of my bel arts cracked a long time ago.

2 Likes

Budget isn’t really an issue, and the costs are similar anyways. I get down to about -60. End product is distillate.

I expect to be filtering anywhere from 1 - 3 gals of crude, maybe more. I want to oversize this thing So I don’t have to fight it later and can do quick filtration on smaller batches.

Thanks for your response
-HK

1 Like

Dang. did they work well before they cracked?

Vac filtration is slow.

2 Likes

I can’t stand the summit hochstroms (buchner).

If cost isn’t an issue, I’d invest in something better. And something that can push and pull.

7 Likes

I have never successfully filter with a bel-art at -80°C. Two issues:

1. The filter plate shrinks when it’s that cold, so fats/powders flow right around it easily.

2. The bottom seal will crack and leak immediately, spilling solution onto the surface.

Fuck a bel-art. It works for an initial rough filtration at room temperature - that’s about it.

5 Likes

I use a bel art and love it, but anyone over the 10” has a welded seal thag will eventually crack during cold filtering. I only use mine for room temp rough cut filtering, and then finish in a stainless one. Ive never used a summit one so i can speak about them. My bel art does alot of volume

5 Likes

Thanks for the first hand experience… Can you recommend anything better for me to look into? Excuse my ignorance but I was only considering vacuum filtration to this point, and have just been looking for the widest surface area buchner design possible to try to get a decent filtration rate.

1 Like

OK that’s good info. Since I’d be using mine at such colder temperatures, I may try and steer towards something glass or stainless.

you cant go wrong with a large TC filter in my opinion

6 Likes

TC filter? what’s that stand for, I’m not familiar with that design.

triclamp

Slap a lid on it and pressurize it.

7 Likes

working on it :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not here to slander/shit-talk…but the 350mm filters from Xtractor Depot seem to tear easily. Only using about 10 psi head pressure and -10" Hg collection pressure. One or two small holes pop through the filter - but it’s enough to let a noticeable amount of fats through.

is the paper on a fritted disk or just on the perforated filter plate??

Paper over a perforated plate. Fritted disc disperses the pressure more evenly, I’m sure. But 20-30 psi pressure differential isn’t enough to warrant tears.

1 Like

@RockSteady So does the TC filter work by you pressurize/push from the top rather than apply vacuum at the bottom? or can you apply both?