SPD - Last few steps before finish line - help!

I’m not certain what your process is but here’s what I was thinking you had in mind:

Recover ethanol
Decarb in rotovap
Dissolve in hep
Scrub through buchner
Wash heptane with brine
Recover heptane
Distill

Is that what you had in mind?

1 Like

I had not though of scrubbing it again in the heptane in previous message my mind wants to cut processes i Think haha , but ya might remove a bit more in non polar, if not the lle wash and my previous eto scrubbing Should suffice for my first run.

After this mostly only good kief so can dial in process more then perhaps hence now Also have the bad kief Thats been sitting out in room temp for a year

I mean once you have the oil dissolved in heptane for the brine wash, the scrub is very little additional work if you’re set up for it. It will potentially cost a bit of yield though.

Otherwise, you can see what you get of you skip the alkane portion altogether and go directly from decarb to first pass, it’s certainly what most people do with ethanol extracts

1 Like

ya might try additional scrub, if so is it fine to scrub it in 3:1 hep/oil as for the LLE ratio also.

Was definitely scared of losing yield with all the talk of thc-a, any major mistake would me broke beyond repair hehe, Lle def one of those fear processes also mostly dropping it all lol, good thing i bought 5l sep funnel last week though Even tjo couldnt afford to have it after 1npass.

But sure Will roto it down now and dissolve in heptane and go from there.

Would be fine to only use distilled water for perhaps last 30% of washes, would save me ton of time using deioinized water for most of it. Got citric acid and sodioum bicarbonate

And ph strips and cheapo digital ph gauge

So 3:1 would be fine for the scrub but you will want to rinse the media with additional heptane and that will throw off your LLE ratio. That being said, you want to do the LLE after the scrub otherwise you won’t be neutralizing the pH. The brine wash will still work fine at a higher solute:solvent ratio if you have room for everything in your sep funnel. You can also return the solution to the rotovap between scrub and LLE but… Fuck that it’s an annoying extra step

1 Like

Deionized water should be fine for all of it

1 Like

Great already made 25l distilled months ago so im good to go then using deioinized aswell

If scrubbing again, any Change to my stacked cake, include AA inthere instead of AC

Got 1000ml/ 110mm buchner so possible layer celite, 100g t5 and 100g AA. Not sure if Will do it but next time i will eitherway

Honestly the bentonites seem to do the most for us. AC can rapidly redden the solution if it’s exposed to air so I consider it for “heavy lifting”. You can always re-run if you find one scrub is not enough and since you are going to distillate, it doesn’t need to be perfect gold color on the input side. Remember that you are preparing to make the distillation process selective, not to make pretty oil that you will then distill

1 Like

Copy, so possible a similar bento cake as previous and must try to dial in the AA if not suggesting only using the bento and celite under.

Definitely helped a bunch a right now unlocking the small doubts that lead to head rubbing instead of scrubbin lol @SidViscous @Renchi thank you good men.

Will post back when im at it following days

2 Likes

Keep us updated, I’m always on here so if you need a quick answer just tag me and you’ll probably get one lol

1 Like

Thanks sir, i will :pray:

I Saw somebody suspend oil in hot water, i tjougjt might me good step before diluting in heptane, if not doing more scrubbing/powders

Hot water>oil>Drain water>dilute in heptan>continue the LLE

I’m not sure what exactly the hot water would be accomplishing. You definitely want to exclude as much water as possible during the scrub so I wouldn’t intentionally add water to the process, even with the low miscibility of water in heptane.

The only way I can think of that being useful would be to devolitilize/terp strip the oil but doing it properly is pretty involved and probably not worthwhile at small scale. Just my impression though, I’d be happy to hear otherwise

1 Like

it was properly from here Fractioning off MCT Diluent - #10 by square_root_pharms

looks like was mostly for terp strip, all new to me until i do it hehe so was thinking the hot water might take some the heptane/water lle didnt,

Yeah, keep us updated and good luck.

On using hot water, i would do that when degumming and the oil is suspended in heptane. It’s easier for the water to grab the unwanted compounds when the oil is dissolved in solvent. But depending on how you degum you can’t go hotter than 50c of your using enzymes.

When you are doing lle wash until the water is coming out clear before switching to the next ph. When using the neutral ph make sure you end the washes with pure water, not brine, and that the ph comes out the same as it went in. That is how you know you’re neutral.

4 Likes

Not going to use any enzyme, dont have any also hehe.

Got 100g t5, 100g AA, and celite for cake in the oven baking at 100*C 3hours

Got my oil suspended in heptane 3:1, around 300-310ml og crude at this stage

Ethanol was testing around 5-6 ph, never used ph strips lol, i got 1-14 range on the ph’s

Dosnt anybody use a ph meter? Surely must be more accurate in the ph water stages

Obvously need Some practice making cakes, i feel like the celite behaved d7fferently after i baked it.

Or behaved diffrent in etho making the cakes :thinking::thinking:

How do you put paper inbetween layers when the paper on top of media doesnt lay flat

I tried making them without inbetween but pouring on a lid to disperse liquid

The “better” side lol… Looking forward to be able to crc

Is this the One i should follow? Does one filter the soulution or is it good to go after mixing @SidViscous

That looks like a pretty solid write up. I’ve had mixed success with dissolving the salt in the solutions, it’s only really necessary if you have a large emulsion form or if you have a lot of THCa (the solubility of d9 in water is essentially zero)

No need to filter although you may consider using a suitable drying agent to dry the heptane solution before recovering and distilling so that there’s no water in your oil. Probably overkill because the solubility of water in heptane is very low but if you use hexane it’s definitely a good idea

Edit: I highly suggest reading the sections on LLE and drying in Zubrick to get some background

2 Likes