SPD - Last few steps before finish line - help!

Okay freinds, starting this thead up again. thought of making a new one and avoid all the previous posts with posts/questions in many directions. but here we go.

ive been 2 years in to this lol, i summit all your help and also i had a breakin they only took all my spoons, so if you have any ill will happily accept :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have a 2litre setup from david with a 500ml mantle and boiling flask.

My bio is kief from morocco and also some more unclean kief made on 160my n dry ice.
The 160 kief i tried to filter through bubblebags lol, but ended up with a big muddy mess and wouldnt go past the screens, so it ended up only getting a water cure and having to clean it all up again. stupid i forgot to make the best of it and rinse with clean cold water to get all colour out, think i would need to scrub with AC on that still? will make a heated ethanol extraction with both.

Plan is to use my 1000ml fritted buchner winterize like this sop with ethanol https://www.grmlabs.com/post/winterization-101https://www.grmlabs.com/post/winterization-101

then

celite>t5>activated alumina, or should i use the alumina oxide on top

Plan is then to do a last winterization and filtration in the panda with 0,5 micron bag to ensure i catch all powders ovoiding any problems. I wont get the felt fabric on about a week or so, and also need to get them sown so thats why not using them for first step winterzation - possible it would be worth to wait, but i only have a small window getting this done my finances is down the hole 10/10 not to mention health is a 11/10

I then plan to possible decarb in my re-501 using julabo heating oil in the bath.

Then short path 1st pass and perform a LLE with heptane and distilled water

Rotovape > then short path for 2nd run.

expecting to get around 280-300ml of crude.

How big cakes should i use in my 1000ml fritted buchner for that amount of crude? Have filter papers too whatman4 but they are slightly to small for ny buchner

Using ethanol 96% Should i still dry t5 in the oven? Would i need to dry my AAor AO, i understand the AO needs to be rinsed alot before use.

Also Maybe dum question but all my filter medias been standing in original bags not opened for over a year in a quite smoke full room witj weed and tpbacco, Should i be worried any powders have absorbed anything from air :thinking:

Is this wayto much t5 and carbon, i used 125g t5 and 40g carbon

Need to filter around 280-300 ml projected oil diluted in About 4liter etho

1 Like

Do you have a spoon for me maybe @Renchi :rofl:

Seems to get the greens out other than that dont seem to do much, would it Change any to do a cake with Aa also. I Got all regular powders besides b80 but dont want to do to much rNd cant afford every penny i own is tied in this

Doing it chest freezer cold while filtrating as pr bucket tech, though its warm extracted kief

I think your plan is sound. I have used aa in a funnel before and it does pull out some color. But i have noticed that it pulls alot more when heated up. That being said i have made product that is very light in a pen using only carbon and bentonite. Most times I’ve used t41 which i believe has aa in, so you adding couldn’t hurt. I have heard it might absorb cannabinoids, so maybe use it sparingly cause there’s not much of it in t41.

If you go at vapor temp 175c when you hit mains you can get a first lighter fraction before going higher temps to catch everything else. I’ve gotten mid to high nineties doing that and separating the fractions tight. Might save you a bit from having to do a second run on everything. Then do a tight second pass with what didn’t come out looking good and tasting like nothing.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, thinking eho r&d your the first to come in mind :blush: contaplating running it thru Aa also but i do have hot Tech glass and chiller and Will properly also perform a LLE in heptane after first pass, so in Also thinking that will do more than most do. Im also in europe so i have to put aside also i cant make evertyhing just as good Also using kief, tsking this long to get going well ys first money but also getting confused in slot of things and now just bought Everything lol

Feel the fear of the process in every process lol, got Away from Idea using t41 due to ph and thinking isomerzation oh noo scary…bjeeezy

Definitely dont feel like anything got robbed at all using the carbon just the greens, so slow rate, only passed it through the cake once but baked it first and let the cake firm up good before using

If you’re going to use heptane at all you might consider doing your buchner scrub diluted in that, it will work much better.

Also, hard to tell from your picture but it looks like your cake might be channeling, it’s weird to see so much white on the bottom there.

Last, that’s a pretty solid amount of AC. I would definitely check your pH before distillation. I would think it would hinder your yield to use that much.

2 Likes

Yield won’t be hindered as long as you wash the cake with clean heptane until it comes out clear. The degumming lle neutralizes the ph to 7. Which is done before the first pass. Use 10% carbon to oil. Some use up to 20%, some 5%. It’s a personal thing. Also you are running from kief and that tends to make the distillate look more red in volume due to oxidation. It will look great in a pen. It depends how much you want to buy into color versus effect hype.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this lol. I read it as the OP was planning on doing the LLE after 1st pass, hence the pH concern

2 Likes

It did look a bit odd the path thru the frit only really saw problems with the ac layer cracking. but looks like it took the greens out, and flushed the cake clean after.

Only have limited access to heptane so not doing initial extraction in that, but Will try in the future possible stacking a few gallons bit by bit.

Had huge issues finding out ratioes when the AC cake was made it dit look a bit big About 1.6cm thick.

I Will check the ph when getting the eto out in roto

Just been told the sep funnel was only after first pass/ mostly only used after.

But ya if ph is of thats only way to solve it i guess

I wont be passing liters around at all, mostly only pens and syringes

Used about 12-13% AC to oil but only About 80ml of the aproxx 300ml that had noticible greens in it, morroco kief is okay clean kief mostly

1 Like

So if the ph is off only then I do a lle scrub before?

If ph not noticible affected is it still Best to perform the lle after 1 pass.

Was thinking of doing a 60l wash or something

1 Like

Also can i perhaps use 40 liter of deioinized water and then only use distilled water the last few go at it, dont have RO yet only water distiller to make it. Hassle lol

I used to smoke Moroccan hash all the time back in the day. I can imagine the distillate will be good. The less green the less ac you can get away with.

Degumming should be done before the first pass, i think. Some people don’t like doing it until second pass because you are dealing with a lot more garbage using crude and you can lose some product in the emulsion layer.

I’ve always wanted to save time and not have to do 2nd pass, so that’s why i do it before. Again, everyone does it differently. Further it will correct the ph which is the main reason for doing it before first pass along with removing the gums that cause alot of red. Degumming allows for the carts to look great for a year.

3 Likes

The best thing to do is just check pH when you think you’re ready for 1st pass and go from there. You may neutralize if you decarb with MgO and the oil hasn’t been acidified too much, but generally a water/brine wash is the best/safest way to neutralize. For what it’s worth, you can do it twice (once before 1st pass and once after)

1 Like

I often thougth made more sense before first pass, definitely Also would be Happy witj not having to do that process between passes and get all that stuff done now.

Definitely must hord some heptane so can do it all on one go save alot of time.

Im in the north, hash country all mostly we smoke here is bound from morocco, i Guess only fools would bring it to the states now. Dont Feel you guys are missing out though :rofl::rofl:

Just have to seach mgo after writing meesage

Think Thats the plan then, Should i decarb in roto before or after, ifph isoff guess Best to do after so no isomerzation

If you decarb before scrubbing you risk making some nasty smells but you also get to filter out any chunks of sugar and such with your cake. I’ve noticed anecdotally that yield is slightly better scrubbing with decarb’d thc than THCa but no hard data. MgO is a catalyst which is also basic, it will reduce decarb time at any temp so it’s double benefit if you’ll be working with acid because you won’t risk isomerization as much during decarb. Just remember if your oil is too basic you will make d10 which you probably don’t want

1 Like

Cant Remember coming across that info witj mgo new info for me though read alot in every direction confusing myself more in this playground with to many fun slides :rofl:

Not sure i understood the Cake part, after lle its passed through a cake removing the decarb burnt stuff?

Or the whole odeal with powders in initial scrubiing can steal thc-a, and tjen the cake will Also remove the burnt solids