"something I made" thread

I probably would if the price was right. This one was a custom deal for a friend. It was a a paid deal too, but I severely underestimated the hours it would take to plane and finish such a large joined surface. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 hours in total to build and finish. Ive upgraded a few tools but it’s still quite the undertaking.

5 Likes

Can you show us your build with the neon sign transformer? I’ve made a table of two before and have always wanted to try the lichtenberg burns

3 Likes

Yeah nice isn’t fast or cheap. Looking to get a new dining room table so just figured id ask. Great job looks killer, its gonna cost me a few racks one way or another for a nice new one.

4 Likes

ive never flown a drone but they look fun. I like helis but my vision stinks and sometimes they get away from me/ with an fpv drone its a non issue but id do dumb shit with it. I dont think of my helis as I made them. I had to buy a kit to start and then source all the parts like esc to control the motor i decide on and badass servos to run off the bec circuit and build the wiring and so maybe And then program it all so it flies right for me. i did make it? Ill get a pic up. Then then I crash them all the time and rebuild it- still doesnt count as made imo.

2 Likes

Yeah I can get a photo here in a little bit. To be clear I’m not recommending anyone try this, as it’s dangerous. That said, given the risky nature of the primary topic of discussion here on future4200, I think y’all will be fine.

It’s packed away up in top of my garage. Not much to it, but I wanted it least likely to kill me in the event of a mishap. Powered from the wall there’s a Variac, with a momentary footswitch between it and the NST.

There’s a fine line between enough current to burn good figures and too much. Some people use microwave transformers, which I emphatically recommend NOT using. They carry at least 50 times the current at a few thousand volts. It burns deep and quickly, but the results are crude looking. Gnarly fucking sound while running.

The neon sight transformer I run is 15,000v but only about 60mA. I use an old one because they don’t include GFI circuitry, meaning it won’t shut off randomly as the leads are shorted intentionally.

the NST is in a plastic toolbox with those HV shielded connectors on the outside. The probes are set up so I’m only ever manipulating one when it’s on. That one is ran to the end of a piece of pvc, with a conductor on the end. The other is mounted to a few pvc fittings so it stands on it’s own tip down on the workpiece.

6 Likes

They are fun as hell, for sure and make for some badass footage with a GoPro strapped on top. Have you seen the videos recently released of the Jetson One? What a wonderful time to be alive! 3d helis look hella fun to me, but the sound is so menacing. That full collective pitch would be wild to see someone implement in a full sized heli, but the g forces would destroy it I’m sure.

God damn, that’s cool as hell. Thanks for such detailed information on the subject.

2 Likes

Here’s the transformer itself. Imagination will have to suffice for the footswitch and variac, at I don’t know where they are currently. Bonus shots of the figures after sanding and charging the glowing resin pigment with uv.

26 Likes

So cool. Love it!

4 Likes

I appreciate the feedback, thank you. These are just a couple, but I love building random, over the top stuff. Lasers, robotics, woodworking, electronics, whatever sounds like fun and piques my curiosity

7 Likes

I got a ride in a huey its fun. I think the whole drones delivering or people flying around wont happen. all the politicians are about some other things than flying around. we will be lucky to do anything but bicycle in the future. but they will deliver whatever you need for free so you dont need to go out as much. Your art is crazy, its worth alot

1 Like

Made this for my lady’s birthday

4 Likes

Saw some like that yrs ago that the maker had made them smell just like roses. Pretty cool, great craftsmanship

3 Likes

Seriously. Fucking awesome…

1 Like

Wish I would have saw this before buying one off Amazon for 170 bucks lol

I’d rather build something like this and learn how it work then just buy one

Anyone else like this? Lol

3 Likes

Dude I’ll spend 3x the ticket in parts if it means I learned something new

15 Likes

I’m with you on that one

1 Like

I got to fly in a bell med evac once at an air show as a kid. It was pretty wild how nimble they are. Drones are just a lot more affordable as a hobby lol. Thank you for the encouraging feedback.

Guess what kinda soup I’m making

No idea…

What is going on here?

1 Like