So I made a thing to decarb with

Hydrostatic test at 150 psi was good. Got an ounce of oil in it. Vacuumed down vessel, filled with nitrogen, vacuumed down again, filled with 7psi of nitrogen. Just went into oven at 240 degrees.

Had a few free min Friday…and got some Teflon in the lathe. Made a few more oil cups, lids, and a little sample dish for shits and giggles. Gotta make something out of it or it gets thrown away…

24 Likes

I really wanna know if this helps retain terps. I guess a side by side w test would tell.

I wonder if mixing some bho sugar w disty to flavor then decarb in the disty to retain terps

3 Likes

Well, I ran it last night. The terp profile seemed nearly identical, but I only left it in the oven for 80 min. I think next time I’ll leave it in for two plus hours.

The oil is partially decarbed, and is fine in a cart.

After removing the vessel from the oven, I let it cool a bit on the counter, I put it in the fridge for an hour, and let it cool off. When I opened the valve to vent it, there was slightly more positive pressure than when I put it in the oven.

I won’t say it was a massive success, as I need to dial in the decarb tek. But I think the value is here, in that my extract was still quite tasty. It will take some playing with, but I think it kicks ass. Yall can basically build these with off the shelf parts…I just made a purpose built rig for it.

12 Likes

edit, answered while I was typin!

1. Year using cheap good flavored sugar decarb as flavoring for carts
5 Likes

I wonder how this translates to typical pressure in cannabis. I was going to pressure test my bho setup with compressed air tomorrow and control pressure from outside my control area—but I’d like not to ruin my room when testing at 200psi

4 Likes

I don’t know your system, but pressure is pressure regardless. I’m sold on the safety aspect, but the logistics of filling an entire system with water to test every time seems like a lot of work.

We hydro test valves, but it’s to have a measurable leak rate. I would understand hydro testing for function of a system, to make sure it can hold the test pressure for xxx amount of time, and once the system has been tested to that pressure simply checking for leaks via compressed air or gas after assembly assuming no notable conditions have changed. But I’m also a guy in the woods…so dont listen to everything I say…and I’m usually thinking about butane…propane I don’t know shit about.

3 Likes

if your system is actually rated for it go for it.
if it has chinese sights avoid 200psi.

3 Likes

How ? Did you run it
I think it s a option
To close stystem and weigh the whole thing before placing in the oven
Then once cooled down after decarb
Weight the whole thing again
Then vent and weight again
Technically your oil should weigh 13% less after decarb :upside_down_face:
Hmmm the 13% is by volume
@srihugh1 might tell us the weight of the Co2 portion that leaves the building to

2 Likes

what is the largest clamp side on the system? That is your limiting factor.

2 Likes

A word of caution on using a PRV: They’re not designed for repeated cycles and many start to leak by after a few cycles.

5 Likes

I would use an internal sensing backpressure regulator.

What type of prv are you useing? Hard seat prv’s tend to be the most reliable, the elastomer seats in the soft seat ones are unpredictable and subject to damage from temp.

4 Likes

I’ve used everything you can think of up to and including inconel PRV’s. It only takes a small amount of scale or corrosion product accumulation on a valve seat, hard or soft, to start leak by. There’s also issues with disc and spring cocking, accumulation and reset lag, and a bunch of other issues. Accumulation would be a good one to check on this as most PRV’s start to open at a certain percentage of their set point, and do not fully reseat till a percentage below their lift setpoint. The soft ones are definitely more prone to issues though, i agree.

Edit: For anyone interested in PRV’s this is a pretty solid guide: pressure-relief-valve-engineering-handbook-en-us-3923290.pdf (9.3 MB)

13 Likes

nice link!

2 Likes

Thanks, data dumped it for visibility. Engineering handbooks are gold.

3 Likes

I’m using a cheap shitty PRV. Honestly, I’m not too worried about it, as I’m only using it at round 20-30 psi or so. I’m really hoping to make it buy an adjustable check valve, so I can essentially set a PSI that would be maintained throughout the process. But I’m just a guy at home doing this on a hobby budget as this stuff makes me no money…if I could afford an inconel valve with a stellite cladded seat I’d be all over it lol

3 Likes

I pulled a vacuum, purged with 20psi of nitrogen, pulled a vacuum and purged with 7 psi of nitrogen, then valves it off. I put it in the oven at 240 for 80 minutes. It only partially decarbed. The terps retained were close enough to the original that I couldnt tell a difference. I’m going to put a sample in and put it in the oven for 2 plus hours and try to get the decarb technique dialed in.

Edit - I am currently more interested in the intert atmosphere than using it to create a lot of pressure. I doubt the vessel will ever see over 50psi, so the PRV is more out of habit than anything. But, Photon mentioned on my IG that pressure will promote some isomerization. He also hooked up the calcs for head space…that dude is one bright MFer.

15 Likes

He is indeed :smiley: Wizard of wizards
Good job :pray:

4 Likes

in the second instance, they looked to have been burst testing a 3" pipe, which didn’t happen at 200PSI…

1 Like