So I made a thing to decarb with

you can fill it with h20 and use the air compressor to test it. It is very easy to see a failed component with water streaming from it.

6 Likes

i find they generally weep instantly with hydrostatic.

hydrostatic is MUCH safer than pneumatic when a vessel fails. (tl;dr gas has more stored energy available)

15 Likes

Maybe throw food coloring in the water to see a leak better?

1 Like

I hadnt considered the added safety. Iā€™ve worked in a shop that had a few PVC pipes running airā€¦dont break those. Air stores energy differently that water being compressible and all lol.

Good points. Iā€™ll hydro it.

5 Likes

I love the way the voices sound in that video. Reminds me of Mudvayneā€™s first album. The difference between hydro and pneumatic looks huge when it fails! That flying dip tube was doing a wicked death dance too.

4 Likes

Lol I had to show my counterpart at work the video for the dip tube dance. I wonder what pressure that failure is atā€¦

1 Like

Sorry if iā€™m misunderstanding, but i was under the impression that the higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. Water stays liquid at 450F and 1800 PSI.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my understanding also. But Iā€™m dyslexic so I just assume people flip shit backwards in their heads too lol.

1 Like

Yes correct by placing the oil in a butane mixture the room temp is
At 2.3 bar
All compounds are therefore suppressed of their boiling point
Also the terps you want to save
Heating this mixture will raise the pressure and boiling points
And hopefully not degraded the terps

7 Likes

Will raising the pressure also raise the minimum decarboxylation temp?

2 Likes

No. Decarb temp has nothing to do with pressure. temp only.

@Photon_noir mentioned that adding pressure during decarb could create some unwanted isomerization. I will give it a shot with an oxygen free atmosphere, at a slight positive pressure. I am hoping to find or make an adjustable pressure relief valve so I can control the pressure in the vessel through the decarb process, while not allowing pressure back in to the vessel. Basically, a pressure check valve.

Edit - found a 0-20psi adjustable PRV valve thatā€™s good for 250 degree F

9 Likes

Dunno if you have seen this post, but I was going to give this a shot I think at some point myself. I can put a ball jar in a little 4" tri clamp pot similar to your setup, then pop that in a sous vide bath.

2 Likes

Am I to understand decarb happens at a certain temp no matter the pressure or lack there of? So when changing pressure you alter boiling point of terps and there for can keep alot of wanted substances while making this product active orally? So essentially you can make a better medicinal product? From what I have read before pressure does not change decarb. If you can change pressure, save desirableā€™s and still do a decarb process I believe this could be a really good device to have.

6 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s the thought behind it. Adding a decarb catalyst should also help negate degredation from heat.

5 Likes

So now a correlation chart between decarb temp and pressure to retain desired substances is valuable. Where is the cross curve between perfect temp and pressure?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the idea. I will be trying this in a few days. Made a nice little PTFE cap for the cup today. It has vent holes and an O ring for retention. Fits under the vessel lid with .200" of clearance.

Iā€™m hoping to have an opportunity to to get photon to expound upon the isomerization under pressure, as Iā€™m completely ignorant on this stuff.

I need to hydro the little guy so I can run it tomorrow or Saturday. Off to the shedā€¦

10 Likes

My question was obviously rhetorical. The idea of decarb and not having to huff your meds is the future in my mind. This topic gets my balls rolling :upside_down_face:. I believe we are made to ingest cannabinoids but there is so much better ways than smoking them. I love my doobs and all but I do not want to be that person you can hear a mile away hacking there lungs up.

3 Likes

I still have this coa for reference to lack of degradation of terpenes

11 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty interestingā€¦ Iā€™d worry some of the more delicate/volitaile ones or trace ones would change. Much like wine isnā€™t the same once itā€™s gotten over a certain temperature. How was it qualitatively speaking? Same flavor/smell?

What is the specifics of the COA reference? Is this showing the post decarb terp profile? Was there a pre decarb profile to compare to? Sorryā€¦Iā€™m slowā€¦

3 Likes