Shatter stability question?

I’m in the same boat. I thought I heard ice in my tank the other day. Changed my sieve beads out and changing the gas. I’m not having the stability issues but more a color issue which I think the water is contributing to.

Just got me a new tank of gas just to make sure

2 Likes

I added a bunch of 3A mol sieve to the bottom of my ovens

1 Like

So, after extensive tests I have isolated it down to 3 possibilities.
Not running enough solvent through my material
Not properly drying my biomass.

I believe it’s one of these 2 issues , seeing how I ran a test with solvent from my tank, new solvent and old solvent not from my tank. All 3 were stable.
Ran a 3# text x 2 into my system and it was stable as well, although not quite as solid as the open blast (I did run at -40 on those tests)
Ran one more at room temp and I just have to wait to pull it out and check when I get home.

Also that was all on the same strain. I will switch strains tomorrow and retest to confirm.

I’ve never dried my biomass and I’ve been able to make great product before. Although all my biomass minus trim is vacuum packed and frozen

Does anyone know at what % waxes start to affect stability?

Equilibration is key!

2 Likes

For the most part in my opinion it depends on the grower, some batches come more stable than others really just depends on what they did in the grow cycle. We’ve tested different nutrient lines in the same room and have had one sappy and the other super stable.

1 Like

Do you know if there is a way to test to determine if it’s not shattering up because of that? I’ve researched for weeks and removed every variable in my power

You’re not running enough solvent I would guess. The solubility of thc in -40 butane is lessened compared to room temp. You could be losing thc a in your column

5 Likes

What temp dosnt sugar start to effect stability? :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Dewaxing favors sugaring so cold and fast. Dumping

1 Like

Indeed. I ran 30% more solvent through and it helped a lot

2 Likes

Killa did you ever notice the change in gas and removal of moisture result in lighter color?

im seeing some frozen water chunks in my cl system and am wondering if its contributing to darker coloring and sugar spots. was going to order some molecular sieve beads to integrate into the system

Thanks! much love

Yes. Water in your solvent means you’re picking up water solubles. Surprised you haven’t hit electric green…

Get sieves and learn how to regenerate them.

5 Likes

Thanks cyclopath for the quick reply, was going to put my sieve chamber after my recovery pump before the condensing coil that leads to my fuel cell; sound appropriate?

any recommendations for regeneration? vac oven @110 for 24 hrs?

Why after the recovery unit ?

2 Likes

How about both? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That how i do it. pump, mole then coils.
@Roguelab my pump pushes beter than pulls. I have try before and after and i het beter recovery times after

1 Like

Moisture in the system would definitely cause sugar spots and like cyclopath said will pick up more undesirables resulting in darker color.
Best would be to have it for both for injection and recovery that will help prevent moisture build up.
Regenerating sieves you will be able to find similar posts by using the search on top.
Personally for me its done at 150F- 180F for over night.
But have seen ppl mentioning 100 Celius for few hours also work well

1 Like

Been making shatter for years, from what I’ve learned it’s all in the source and the extractor. If your looking to make shatter don’t run fresh frozen it will almost always sugar up due to the high terpene profile. Best source is a product that’s grown by trusted growers and it’s always good to run some freshly cured littles. I always get some good shatter with littles. I’ve even had some dope shatter extracted from some very good trim/shake. My personal way of making shatter is setting oven at 87f and I like to do a pre stretch. By that I mean that I actually pour my oil onto the parchment paper and I have a pizza tool that I use to stretch the oil throughout most of the paper surface space. I let my oven reach its temp then once stable I place my slab into icen and pull a full vacc watching the muffin doesn’t too ch top of oven trays. I use nitrogen sometimes to stabilize my muffin but for the most part I release pressure back and forth until I reach a stable muffin at full vacc. As for purging. I dona 72 hour purge. So as explained I do that first pull than the next day or 24 hours later I do my first flip. At this point it’s like snap n pull. I then place back in oven pull full vacc again and the next day I flip again. At this point my slabs are already shattery. Place back and pull vacc. Next day I pull out of oven and do a “slab manicure” which consists of getting rid of the rest of the little solvent bubbles if any with a heat gun. That’s just how I roll there’s many ways of doing it and even faster if you don’t have the time but I’ve noticed the less I fuck with my slabs the better they come out.

4 Likes