Running Fresh Frozen

Hey Guys,

A lot of the growers around me are sucking their fresh frozen into a brick and selling it. While a lot of them are correcting their process to NOT do that shit. What’s the correct way to run brick style? Sledge Hammer? Ice Pick? How much should it be broken up?

1 Like

Imo the correct response is to find another source of biomass. I’m guessing this is THC dominant material? Is there a shortage of that stuff?

Best way is to have each lb vaccum sealed and frozen. It makes for easier counting and also preseves everything better. We have had people have black bags that werent sealed that ended having issues. Its still worked out but it would have been better if each was vaccumed up. Having it in small 1lb bags also makes it better for everything to be frozen compared with one big bag. You want to make sure all the air is taken out too so it preserves better.

4 Likes

Agreed, but I like stuff that isn’t completely vacuumed so you don’t have to deal with ridiculous bricks. Vac out most of the air but don’t crush the buds.

7 Likes

Freeze on dry ice and sledge hammer.

Was nightmare but I got it into 1/4" chunks and said screw it and ran it anyways

1 Like

Yep pretty much what I’m facing. The yield isn’t terrible, nor is the end product, it’s amazing actually, but fuck the effort in breaking these god damn bricks.

1 Like

Seal the bags before all the air is sucked out …

Yeah I purchased it because it was cheap. Decent fresh frozen on my market is too high for what the sales price is.

1 Like

Unfortunately, bricking like this adds a level of friction-based thawing that really compromises the materials quality.
The proper way to vac seal WPFF is to vac down but leave a small pocket of air. Flash freeze and voila- no degredation post-harvest

3 Likes

What Phil said^

Pellet/feed mill? Chop saw into chunks to make them fit? Do it all in a walk in freezer so nothing thaws?

this open source shredder looks appropriate, and might even even hold up to a prechilling with dry ice or liqN2

Hey just wondering if you were able to resolve this issue in any way. I’m also kind of a noob when it comes to working with fresh frozen and I had a question about material prep as well. The stuff I have been working with is also extremely hard/frozen, so much that it kind of resembles like those rocks you’d find in a rock garden. Some pieces have literally ripped holes through the extraction socks that they’re packed in. I have been getting pretty lame yields on the material as well, a 5000g run produced only 121g of resin. I’m running a PXP, 70/30 butane/propane chilled to -60f, soaked for about 5 minutes. I’m wondering if the problem is the solvent isn’t penetrating the biomass, or is it something else? I’ve also not ruled out that the material was bunk, I’m waiting on a potency test of both the spent material and not yet ran material to see what the actual cannabinoid content is.

it’s called dont squeeze the air outta the bag before before freezing…and freeze fast

if u smash it, itll rock up and bitch to bust up

if u leave it be, o it’s so easy…just seal the bag before squeezing the material

Buy your producer some socks. Fill the socks before vac sealing and freezing… voila perfect ready to go filled frozen socks.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I came here for this exact question. These bricks are ridiculous and gotta be causing degradation to the trichomes. We are doing solventless ice water extraction and having to soak these things for over an hour so we can pull them apart easier.

1 Like

If you can break them apart in the freeze you have them in while still bagged. Temperature rise is your worst enemy when dealing with fresh frozen. Make sure anything it touches is around the same temp of the bio itself before it touches it, what you use to break it up, the socks, the columns, your gloves too! I prefer to load in a deep freezer/walk in.

1 Like

I got some fresh trims id loke to run ff. So I should freese it first and then pack it? Ive done it before but it was getting condensation when its frozen. i guess maybe freeze in a baggie and cut the edge off to pack it through so its not all exposed to humidity.condensation? I can also pack it lightly and freeze under vac? which is best.

Absolutely. I’ll let you know my solution was to actually go deeper on the freeze, -80C, put them into thicker plastic bags, and then bust them down into bits.

4 Likes

I’d like to try getting it colder and busting it into small pieces next time rather than soaking the brick. After @Cheebachiefextracts comment, I’m guessing you get more trichome degradation from a soak as the temperature rises in the water, than if I smashed the brick while it was frozen solid and then added it to the water. I also think these bricks thawed and re-froze so they were like blocks of ice. :thinking:

3 Likes