Running chiller on bho extractor

Do I have to run a chiller on the material column? Is it necessary? Chiller are expensive and need any help. Thank you

No
Just get a -80 freezer and prechill sock/column and sock. Tane gotta be cold though

What’s sock lol sorry newbie

I just use 60ft of injection coil to cool the tane? Less than 50fft doesn’t quite do it

1 Like

Material sock. It holds material so you don’t have to pack directly in column. I would suggest spending a shit load of time reading about safety and always be outdoors.

8 Likes

Do you have a material column capable of taking chiller connections?

No sir, I’m doing homework before getting one. I’ve seen close and open jacket so I am assuming the closed jacket is for the chiller.

1 Like

Yes, sleeved vs jacketed.
sleeve is for dry ice slurry.
Many pull vac on the jacket instead.

Some chill then heat…see:Pressure issues with gas assist with Passive

Great thank you bub. Also would I still need a chiller if I’m using an crc?

You can get a sleeved crc if you want a cold crc that uses dry ice and iso instead of a chiller.

A cold crc is not needed but some people do it.
Just like some people run a crc before dewax and some run it post dewax but that’s more along the line of 2 stage dewax meaning a material column and a sleeved “dewaxing” columm that’s at a size that can match the amount of solvent used.

This makes it so the user can do a soak with the material columm and then severely reduce the fats and waxes with the seperate freezing cold column.

THOUGH!!! MOST PEOPLE SKIP 2 STAGE DEWAXING AND EXTRACT DIRECTLY INTO THIER SLEEVED MATERIAL COLUMN . AND DON’T SOAK!!!

Chilled solvent tank > chilled column > chilled collection > chilled recovery tank. Is the standard.

Crc is extra, I don’t use one but cooling one is subjective to the users desired end-product.

1 Like

Sweet info. I’ve been reading a lot about recovering. Would a chiller have the same recovery time as having a recovery pump?

Which is faster depends on what you’re actually comparing.

Corken vs TRS21

DSLB 20/40 vs a large cryodax

Also depends on machine config (vapor path).

Many use both.

Passive for bulk recovery, pump for clearing material column ( using hot vapor to push, and then pulling vac with the pump).

1 Like

Is it necessary to have both they’re quite expensive and cost about a arm and leg. Anything would help

Do you have experience with Cryodax? The spec sheets look very impressive but I haven’t heard of much first hand experience with them.

If you’re looking to budget you can use the trs21 to heat and cool your system if you set it up a certain way. Basically go to the hardware store and grab a copper coil to pump water through and provide heat exchange in your water bath. Everything reaches somewhat of an equilibrium as far as energy transfer goes but due to the pump using energy you will be operating slightly on the warm side… depending on ambient temps (winter time = cold af)

Do you have a dry ice distributor near you? You don’t need a chiller if you use dry ice.

A chiller isn’t worth it unless you’re doing a lot of runs. Like, basically unless you’re planning on doing 10lb runs every week and are generating profit, you shouldn’t be looking into a chiller.

How often do you plan on running? If it’s a lb or 2 a month then stick with dry ice.

You’re also gonna want to look into how to safely use nitrogen to push the cold liquid solvent through the column/inject cold solvent into the column.

If you’re looking to speed up recovery times then you should look into ½"recovery lines and a jacketed splatter platter base.

You can use the jacketed base to run warm water through it for a constant flow of heat and if your tank is on a slurry of dry ice and isopropyl you should be able to rip through recovery.

ÂĽ" lines take forever. You gotta be able to give adequate heating and cooling.

Again unless you’re spending money to make money a chiller is highly unnecessary.

You can hit a ½#/min in recovery without pumps.

Chilled solvent tank > chilled column > chilled collection > chilled recovery tank. Is the standard.

Wait are you saying chill the collection spool as well?

If you’d like a chiller I’ll have quite a few for sale here soon for 1/4 their original price they were bought. Plus shipping or you pick up, I’ll make a thread soon. Sorry to be off topic for a moment but wanted to offer this to the OP

1 Like

Yep. During extraction.

Then during recovery it gets heated.