Pressure issues with gas assist with Passive

We have been having all kinds of issues blowing down the tubes with passive extraction. We run 1.5" lines from our recovery pot through our condenser and back into the solvent tank, so it’s getting about 3-5#/min when we xan keep the pressure low. It seems to take multiple times longer to blow down our jacketed -40-60c 6x48 tube as the time it takes to recover our collection pot. Is there a way to generate large amounts of vapor pressure for gas assist or a better way than using nitrogen? As nitrogen raises the pressure in the system and when we pull vapors out of solvent tank, we are losing hydrocarbons that escape with the vapor. I am wondering what is the best way to speed up the process so we can process significantly more material as we get past the choke point as emptying the tubes.

Well u want it cold to be a liquid and.having stripping power …

Also chill a coil before ur tank or the tank for really fast recovery…vent me outta the cold solvent tank…that’s right I let as much as I can out safely from the collection pot,and from then on I dump n2 outta the tank so it goes through the sieve and cool fine

Also leave injection valve open when u start recovery to help pull it through. Of after u try and shut it off and let gravity pull it down a few times blowing it out w nitrogen

1 Like

One thing that did to helped reduce nitrogen and or the need to use the recovery pump was adding a chamber just for additional negative pressure when needed. I have a system set up to run passively or actively when needed, but extra negative pressure was definitely the way to go for us. I installed it on the return side using s needle valve and mounted it high up above everything after my coils and before my lp tank. Also use some sort of cold trap or chilled lp tank to burp nitrogen from.

5 Likes

Vapor pushes work great and no need to stop or burp nitro

4 Likes

Heat your tubes when you’re done if you really want your solvent back.

@Graywolf has posted plumbing.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Even when we are doing hot vapor assist, we still seem to be leaving upwards of 5# in the tube sock. Wondering better ways for vapor to assist where we can recover much more gas from the tube. If we did a hot vapor from a bottom feed to thaw up the bottom 1/4 of tube where all the gas is trapped, then would it work. Then, use the vapor to assist to push the thawed gas through the column. Would you recommend just having a tank of propane for hot vapor assist?

1 Like

I heated the columns to 150F during recovery and backfilled with N2. I was below LEL when I opened the column.

2 Likes

It was the plumbing for

that I was hoping to see again. Pretty sure you’ve posted it here or elsewhere.

There are some links over here…

And I’m with @pangea

Maybe it’s snack time?!?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Thank you sir!!

And for the history lesson.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like