Root extraction marketability

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on the commercial viability of root extraction and products sourced from males?
At first glance it looks like tinctures would be the only consumer product, but fine for sale in all states.
Mainly I am looking for an increase the value of male plants, leaves for essential oil and the classic orange/coconut/canna smoothly (limited market), and roots for tincture.

5 Likes

Have you had testing done on the extract of the roots? Iā€™ve always been curious what a root extraction will bring to the table

1 Like

I encourage you to use the website search function or look in the data dumpā€¦ Or are you asking less about spectroscopy results and more casual ā€œtestsā€ relevant for the consumer/marketing?

Iā€™m well aware of how to use the search function. I didnā€™t just join yesterday. (Not trying to be dickish, just honest.)
I was asking casually, thatā€™s all. I was wondering how it, or if it would be worth it for me to extract my roots. Just personal stuff, no consumer marketing or anything. However, given your response, Iā€™ll just do it myself and find out for myself. Thanks! Hope you have a bitching Sunday!

5 Likes

ur probably not gonna get anything ud want

wrong root, and its root bark not the roots(Iā€™m just teasing). also wrong species plant to be extracting the roots if ur looking for goodies

17 Likes

Right on! Thanks! I was just trying to have a conversation more than anything. Iā€™ve read some of the other threads going on about the other plants. In fact, the ones youā€™re growing if Iā€™m not mistaken? The ā€œSee Elvesā€ thread

3 Likes

removing root bark with something like a vibratory tumblerā€¦and for the tumbler media abrasive ceramic?
not worth marketing something without a cost effective extraction method I suppose

2 Likes

If you can get the product on the shelf there will be a huge marketability for it based on my experience. Iā€™ve been using the roots for years now in topicals and they are miraculous in ways that are different than the upper plant. Theyā€™re great for neuropathy and nerve pain.

Iā€™ve never known how to extract them properly because I couldnā€™t find any info on it other than conjecture. I expect alcohol would work but I never had that much extra to experiment with. So I used a crockpot in the old fashion fashion, when in doubt put it in the crockpot.

Topical Creations - Part 5 Roots Post 10248

I have looked into tinctures but Iā€™m not sure all the compounds are safe for ingestion. Iā€™ve found listings of the components and some were hepatoxic so I didnā€™t go beyond that until someone can prove it safe. I have liver issues and donā€™t want to chance it. I expect that to be a minimal issue since many beneficial compounds are toxic in larger amounts.

I have many folks who use the root products. I linked one of my posts about roots and my thoughts.

7 Likes

Incorrect. Maybe wonā€™t get cannabinoids, but there are some really awesome other compounds that can be extracted. I may dig later and find a few articles for you. Lots of promise for assisting with a variety of ailments.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll have 20-30lbs of dried root mass from my next rdwc round. Iā€™ll go through the labor of harvesting and drying and split shipping with someone in exchange for the info. Letā€™s figure out whatā€™s in the roots!

Offers on the table.

12 Likes

Thereā€™s a couple articles on this subject, looks like the main compounds of interest from the roots are glycosides with antibacterial and anti inflammatory activity.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/can.2017.0028

https://www.karger.com/Article/Fulltext/495582

Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research Journal - credibility for articles published under this journal have yet to be established as far as I know.

I wonder why roots arenā€™t included in RSO extractions. Canā€™t hurt right?

5 Likes

really tell me moreā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll try what could it hurtā€¦Idk if we will make profit but coukd be purely for science

what kind extraction is suitable for tbjs

2 Likes

Most extraction of cannabis root that I am familiar with do not utilize alcohols or hydrocarbons. Water seems to be the solvent of choice.

I remember listening to this podcast about root extractions and promising research a few years ago. I should probably listen again to freshen up.

Edit: After reading for a few minutes, it appears I was incorrect about the solvents most commonly used in root extraction. Seeing all kinds of stuff. Made me realize itā€™s been a few years since Iā€™ve really looked into it. Maybe Iā€™ll go over and have @Photon_noir drop some knowledge on me.

3 Likes

It would be sweet if the roots grew compounds of commercial value because my fucking cuttings fill a 5 gallon bucket in like 5 days after veg transplant.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the alkaloids in the roots that make them so valuable along with terpenes and sterols.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319049733_Cannabis_Roots_A_Traditional_Therapy_with_Future_Potential_for_Treating_Inflammation_and_Pain

" The roots of the cannabis plant have a long history of medical use stretching back millennia. However, the therapeutic potential of cannabis roots has been largely ignored in modern times. Discussion: In the first century, Pliny the Elder described in Natural Histories that a decoction of the root in water could be used to relieve stiffness in the joints, gout, and related conditions. By the 17th century, various herbalists were recommending cannabis root to treat inflammation, joint pain, gout, and other conditions. There has been a subsequent paucity of research in this area, with only a few studies examining the composition of cannabis root and its medical potential. Active compounds identified and measured in cannabis roots include triterpenoids, friedelin (12.8 mg/kg) and epifriedelanol (21.3 mg/kg); alkaloids, cannabisativine (2.5 mg/kg) and anhydrocannabisativine (0.3 mg/kg); carvone and dihydrocarvone; N-(p-hydroxy-Ī²-phenylethyl)-p-hydroxy-trans-cinnamamide (1.6 mg/kg); various sterols such as sitosterol (1.5%), campesterol (0.78%), and stigmasterol (0.56%); and other minor compounds, including choline.

Of note, cannabis roots are not a significant source of Ī”ā¹-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol, or other known phytocannabinoids. Conclusion: The current available data on the pharmacology of cannabis root components provide significant support to the historical and ethnobotanical claims of clinical efficacy. Certainly, this suggests the need for reexamination of whole root preparations on inflammatory and malignant conditions employing modern scientific techniques."

There is at least two of those alkyloids that are liver toxic which is why I never pursued using alcohol to extract for tincture. Until I know the extraction is safe to ingest Iā€™ll just use it for topicals. I have read accounts of people using the roots as homeopathic treatment. Iā€™ve just always used coconut oil for extraction but would like to get a better method.

The roots are miraculous, as much so as the upper plant. I have a few ounces of root extract in my freezer now and I cherish it since Iā€™m not a grower nor do I know any locally anymore.

I canā€™t sing their praises enough. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

11 Likes

I would argue that the compounds present do have commercial value, but the market has not been educated as to what that value should be.

If you produce something that can provide anecdotal (qualitative) evidence to back its use, the market will expand from there. Eventually there will likely be pharmaceutical interests that look to take over, as there seems to be promise with some of the isolated compounds.

4 Likes

Hey, thanks!

Purely for science

2 Likes

Iā€™ve put my money on Epifriedelanol, itā€™s gonna take a few years to make it commercially viable though.