Root extraction marketability

the anticholinergic effects from the root extract have limited but notable recreational and medicinal value. the thing with anticholinergics is a propensity for overdose without being self aware enough to know you are poisoning your self… My intuition is root extracts are best when used as a sporting role and not the lead protagonist

4 Likes

Can the overdose risk be eliminated by only using topicals?

I’ve been using root extract for nearly ten years now topically with no issues. In fact, I make a Neosporin type antibacterial salve that I use for cuts, abrasions and other wounds that may be open with magnificent results, especially considering I’m immunosuppressed, too. More needs to be known before I would be comfortable ingesting it.

8 Likes

I am just spit balling but I bet if the tincture had enough THC the greenies would help prevent users from taking a toxic dose. Also the if it was dilute enough than the price could also deter, I bet few would want to waist money drinking multiple tincture bottles just for little dissociation, amnesia and organ damage…

3 Likes

Thank you for the link and information, @PSam!

1 Like

Three days ago I was stung on the thumb by a wasp or hornet in the dark. The next day my hand was very swollen. My hemp topical would block the itching sensation when it was bothering me the most, but it wasnt doing much to slow the swelling. I happened to pull a male hemp plant the next day, so I made some root topical. I cooked fresh root material in coconut oil in a crock pot overnight.

The cooked roots smell like Chinese food. The smell was much less after filtering the oil through a coffee filter and letting it harden in the refrigerator. It does not smell or look like anything to do with cannabis. The oil looks like plain coconut oil.

I put some on my hand right away. That was last night and the swelling is almost gone today. I also have a lingering shoulder injury from thinking I can still do pushups, bursitis I think. The shooting pain that has been bothering me for months disappeared immediately. I wish I had tried a root topical before now. I have to say I recommend them very highly.

7 Likes

It’s absolutely amazing stuff. I like to use it for a lot of first aid applications, too, like Neosporin. For that I don’t use any essential oils or anything to irritate the tissue if it’s an abrasion. I’m immunosuppressed from a kidney transplant and I have no hesitations on using it.

You’ve learned another thing with the sting inflammation. Severe burns aren’t even red the next day. Use it as a topical on neuopathy for relief. I have a friend with severe neuropathy who can barely walk unless he uses the root oil. I try to keep some in the freezer.

To me it smells of roasted nuts and kind of woody and pleasant.

2 Likes
3 Likes

There was a company in Pleasant View Tennessee named Phytanna back in the early days of Hemp(2015) and I think they focused us on using the roots primarily. I stopped following their posts some years ago. If they are still around, may be worth reaching out to them.

2 Likes

Epifriedelanol for sure. Whether hemp is the best plant, though is not clear.

However, it is not too hard to imagine both breeding for this, and also modifying with environmental stressors. If someone with the analytics to measure epifriedelanol want to offer up some group funded discount, we could probably survey and release data to a broader group before this, too, gets IP slung all over the place.

2 Likes

I happened to remember this post of yours about using the root extract like neosporin. I had some deep scratches on my arm and tried the coconut oil root balm. The way it speeds healing is very impressive, wound has no pain or inflammation. Four days now, and almost completely healed.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear. It’s miraculous stuff and works differently than just a cannabis balm from the upper plant. It works on nerve pain and the healing properties are astounding to me. I’m immunosuppressed but I still use my root oil for all my scraps and abrasions and other Neosporin type issues. I’ve been using it for years. I no longer have access to roots so I hoard what I have left. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

3 Likes

I’m interested in making a batch to try out. Also would like to pass some around and see what others think.

Thanks for the information and links @PSam :call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Have a few rootballs to try this on. Seems crockpot coconut oil tincture is a winning method. Anyone else have any other experience extracting the goodies with other methods? I’d like to try extracting directly in coconut oil, as well as a water extraction and an etoh extraction. Then add the water and ethanol extracts to their own amounts of coconut oil to do some comparison testing.

@PSam, does it make a difference if the roots are fresh or dried? Thinking most of mine are dried already, but will have fresh soon. I was thinking I’d collect all my roots, wash them, dry them, grind em, then separate for a few different types of extraction.

Hard to say if I’ll ever get around to it, because procrastination is rampant when the kid is off school. I’d rather spend time with her over pretty much anything else, but I digress.

3 Likes

I always dried mine and they can be stored forever and still retain whatever goodies they have in them. I wasn’t sure if the moisture held by fresh ones would affect my oil and there was absolutely no knowledge about it. I just saw some obscure references to the roots in my research and put it together. Still don’t know what those “goodies” are, though, so I couldn’t get it tested.

I hope you do get the chance to try those other methods. A water paste is one of the forms I saw from ancient times that was effective and of course, alcohol would be the extractor of choice since it’s so good with cannabis. I always wanted to use alcohol. I’d be really interested in your results. There needs to be more research devoted to roots in my humble opinion. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

6 Likes

Id do an initial extraction with alcohol. That will also kill most micro organisms in the roots.
Then do a simmering water extraction to get the rest out.
I prep the roots by dunking in a bucket of cold water to clean off the roots before letting it dry for a day to start the alcohol extraction.
Im also thinking an ultrasonic bath might be the best route here for “extraction equipment”
Ive also got a hunch that young roots wont have much in them and alot of the extra goodies are coming from prolonged connection and communication to microogranisms in the soil.
So roots that come from airoponics with salts might not yield the most goodies

4 Likes

I like the logic behind your order of operations. Do you combine your alcohol and water extractions in the end, or keep them separate?

I did combine them. I used to let both air dry in a pyrex then scrape the goo and combine them. Alcohol always seemed to extract more but i expected thats cuz i was doing that extraction first. Id do about 0.1g of goo per 100 doses of topical

3 Likes

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2017.0028

6 Likes

Last year we started harvesting our roots and grinding them up for use in our topical salve we make which also has 15+ other ingredients. It overall is a miracle balm of sorts and has some extremely great reviews.

4 Likes