Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments

One more article about how VAPI isn’t from lipoid pneumonia and oil covered lungs, but is from chemical damage. Quotes from Dr. Larson about vit E directly.

Mayo operates a pathology lab at its Scottsdale campus that has long consulted with doctors and provided second opinions about biopsy and test results. Larsen said it has actually received reports of vaping-associated lung injuries over the past two years, even though the current outbreak was only identified earlier this year. The existence of earlier cases casts doubt on the idea that the illnesses resulted from a new ingredient or type of vaping product or delivery device.

“It’s probably a more complex problem,” Larsen said. “It goes beyond one bad batch.”

The theory that oils or lipids caused these injuries has persisted because biopsies aren’t commonly ordered for these lung injury cases, Larsen said. It also takes a review of multiple biopsies to detect a pattern.

Mayo doctors have contacted the CDC about whether their pathology findings will lead to an updated diagnostic definition of the vaping-associated lung injuries. Larsen stressed that the finding does not absolve any particular chemical or culprit, including the oils, vitamin E or other substances that are used to thicken vaping juice.

“Everything is still on the table,” Larsen said. “I am skeptical that vitamin E is the sole culprit, if even the culprit at all. Maybe it’s important, but I think we can’t stop looking.”

Mayo’s findings also don’t pin the blame on vaping illicit marijuana or its psychoactive component, THC, instead of legal nicotine e-cigarette products. Twelve of the cases in the report involved vapers who inhaled marijuana products. Two cases in the Mayo review involved deaths

Do all cases involve draw activated devices vs devices with a button? The air in most draw activated devices is drawn through the same component holding the battery, then into the atomizer. Any device using air that passes through the battery compartment could be exposing users to toxic fumes. Lithium ion cells can be damaged to the point of starting to release gasses before they even seem damaged. It is relatively easy for somebody without much knowledge of, or care for battery safety to unknowingly cause this damage. If cells are over discharged, charged at extreme temps, or stored at extreme temps, they can become damaged and start to off gas, especially while under load or during charging. Just think of how many pens come out of the car either frozen or super hot with dead batteries go directly on the charger before allowing cell temperature to warm up/cool down to a safe zone.

10 Likes

And the conclusion of that is; let’s focus on fixing what caused the 6 and to hell with the others!

Maybe I’m missing something here (it’s happened before) but isn’t vit E one of the most used cuts for the CBD industry to help keep everything in solution? Why have I not heard any mention of CBS carts in this meyham?

1 Like

Excellent point!

1 Like

My theory behind the correlation between Vitamin E’s emergence into the market and the rise of these mystery illnesses lies in the fact that Vitamin E simply made vape carts that much cheaper and in turn that much more accessible to the general public. The more people exposed to vaping will inevitably mean the more adverse reactions, simple as that. This is when the phrase “1 in a million” starts to gain statistical relevance. The price of a cartridge absolutely tanked and suddenly people could pay as little as they wanted for a cartridge. This is presumably why it was such an abrupt spike in illegal states where cartridges previously just were not abundantly available, or at least not affordable to everyone. Prices for customers went down. Profit margins for dealers went up. In a short time, they were and are absolutely everywhere.

As for what is actually causing the illnesses, to say that it is definitively one single chemical is unrealistic. We’re seeing reports with 10/10 black market cartridges containing myclobutanil so clearly a big portion of these producers do not look and/or do not care if there’s toxins/solvents in their products. I’m curious if we’re simply seeing the results of underground extractors just not knowing how to produce clean products. A small population of people could have extreme reactions to anything, whether that’s fungicides, solvents, flavoring, or repeated exposure to heated vapors in the lungs in general. Problem is when the sample size grows tenfold in a few short months, cases start to become less sporadic which is why they’re just realizing now that cases from 2-3 years ago may have been misdiagnosed altogether.

Just my 0.02

4 Likes

And then we have the liars…

Minnesota health investigators have interviewed 29 of the state’s lung-injured patients, and 27 have acknowledged vaping THC products. Two said they only vaped nicotine, but one was found to be in possession of a THC e-cigarette cartridge.

Life threatening illness, and they chose to lie about how they got there? :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

Which is all true but is really a non issue here in my mind since terps have been added from almost day 1! ( not quite, but it’s obviously not a recent development)!

Or maybe someone thought that freebasing weed will work in a same way as with tobacco or coca plant? Cannabinoids, alkaloids who gives a damn, lets soak this blyat in ammonia.

I read a cbd sold cart package at a vape atore
1g cart
135mg CBD
No thc
Pg/vg was the filler

5 Likes

Yeah, a lot of these cases are teenagers in illegal states. Good chance their parents coached them into lying about the THC aspect out of fear of being charged.

6 Likes

I was not implying Terpenes were the cause, sorry if that was misleading.
I was only trying to explain what happened to that mans epoxy floor. It was nothing close to a burn mark, just dissolution of the polymers

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, yes it is used by CBD companies.

2 Likes

I take great pleasure in calling this out first. Oh, when will people listen.

10 Likes

Which has been my understanding as well, which made me ask why no CBD carts had been called out?

2 Likes

Wooooow, not subtle at all, haha.

4 Likes

This is exactly my fear as a number of companies (including my own) posit that use of cannabis derived terpenes (even if they’re present in concentrations multiples of that found naturally in flower) are completely safe.

From the Mayo Clinic’s study reporting that patients had a number of “caustic” or “chemical” type burns leads me to believe that these terpenes can be harmful if used/vaped to excess, especially to otherwise sensitive throat/lung tissue…

2 Likes

"Success in the cigarette business gives us the resources to pursue our ambitious vision.

Thanks to the imagination and perseverance of thousands of people at PMI, we have developed breakthrough products that are smoke-free and enjoyable.

And, we are selling them today. Millions have already given up smoking and switched to our new products, and this is just the beginning.

We’re investing to make these products the Philip Morris icons of the future."

Yeet, cigarettes are terrible, don’t stop giving us your money though.

1 Like

Too everyone who said it would be foolish investment to ruin the vape industry. Welcome to monopoly.

Let the games begin.

5 Likes

IQOS heats the tobacco just enough to release a flavorful nicotine-containing tobacco [vapor] but without burning the tobacco .”

" What is there? A nicotine-containing vapor – not smoke – that makes IQOS a smoke-free product that is appealing to smokers."
PMI

Yeah that thing is a vaporizer… that “key point” is a straight up lie.

1 Like