Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments

Is it possible that terps more harmful when vaped vs smoked? When smoked, I imagine that a good portion, if not most terpenes are destroyed from the combustion. When vaped, fAR more terpenes will reach tender lung tissue intact.

Terps degrade into other products at high temps

3 Likes

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/toxicology/Hunting-cause-mystery-vaping-illnesses/97/web/2019/10

Good read.

2 Likes

I’m sure something cropped up on my fb feed, saying some terps identified as being carcinogenic when vaped …

Does anyone else find it unusual that the FDA/CDC has made no mention whatsoever about finding residual solvents, pesticides, mycotoxins, etc? You’d think with their 500+ samples submitted they would have found some by now and that would assuredly be worth disclosing. They have been asked multiple times by reporters what types of things they have found in their samples and they keep suggesting that the amounts of liquid they are receiving in samples are too small to identify a lot. Which leads me to believe that they might not actually testing for the obvious culprits at all. The hydrogen cyanide article last week was unique as they independently purchased full, unused black market cartridges. Low and behold, 10/10 were dirty for the very chemicals that legal states knew to test for all along. Something tells me the answer might be much more obvious.

My question is this, can you realistically address each category of contaminants with a 3/4’s-used DankVape? It is my understanding that you need larger samples for certain impurities, with some labs saying they need as much as 0.5 grams or even a gram to identify certain chemicals. It is my understanding you barely need anything to identify larger components like THC (0.2 grams), which is all they are admitting to testing for.

But for the real nasty stuff, is it possible that they simple do not have large enough samples of liquid being submitted to even identify the known hazards like pesticides, residual solvents, mycotoxins, microbio, heavy metals, etc? I mean, seeing as these are literally required tests in legal cannabis states you would assume they’re testing for these things first, but are they?

2 Likes

This thread is about vitamin-e acetate. @qma is making the relevant point that people who cut their carts with this shit are shady miscreant-scumbags motivated by greed.

It’s irrelevant if it turns out vitamin-e is safe for inhalation. It doesn’t belong in distillate and if you think it’s okay, you are not welcome in this industry.

Go back to the coke game if you want to get away with cutting your product, cuz that shit ain’t gonna fly here homeboy.

4 Likes

Profits.

Very few people in this industry aren’t interested in that.

You can start a non-profit if you aren’t.

I don’t sell carts, so I have no skin in this game.

3 Likes

45 of your 54 total posts are from the past month and all are about vaping illness…and the majority of those posts are vindicating vitamin-e acetates role in this epidemic. :thinking: Either you have a vested interest in this drug cutting gooop business, or you’re super autistic about lung-injuries.

Either way, your relentless defense of vit-e is suspect and kinda spooky…

6 Likes

They’re prioritizing profit over quality of their product/satisfaction of their customers, because they are greedy.

We all love profits but that doesn’t mean the desire to succeed will lead to moral corruption… but yeah a lot of people suck.

3 Likes

I made an account just to reply to this post.

I’ve been lurking and reading throughout this post and I agree with you fully.

Op seems to have some vested interest in clearing the name of Vitamin E Acetate.

Studies that he has linked suggest that it is not off the table.

Other users have pointed out that Vit E can vaporize to an acid, and that the lungs not “drowning” in oils doesn’t really prove or disprove anything.

Ultimately until the cause is found there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to suggesting that Vit E is safe or not the culprit.

I definitely think medical professionals shouldn’t JUST look into Vit E. They should continue to be open to new ideas until they find something. But that still doesn’t mean it isn’t Vit E.

5 Likes

Overall, I really think the research done by Mayo on this has been lack lustre.

I have absolutely no idea why they are not publishing findings on what’s in carts currently on shelves. I believe they’ve hardly even published data on what was in the carts they were given.

Honestly, I’m pretty sure solving the whole problem will likely be as simple as buying a bunch of carts, testing them to see what’s in them, and doing some organic chem to figure out which things are obviously bad. At least that would give medical professionals the lead that they currently don’t have.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that in spite of the fact that terpenes are considered essential oils, essential oils aren’t really oils, in the traditional sense of the word, and in the context of what we’re talking about here, it may very well be the culprit. It’s too early to tell, but there is absolutely no reason to rule out terpenes. Especially not with the way he’s describing these injuries to look like toxic chemical exposure.

3 Likes

Down boy, down. :joy::rofl:

4 Likes

@Beaker had plenty of points to make on why terps might be a real tangible problem for vaping. He was always about getting that totally clean dab. Definitely had plenty to say about pinene and lung issues. Maybe there’s something to that? I hope not lol. Love me some terps.

2 Likes

If there was, it wouldnt be causing this epidemic. Inhaling pinene at an appropriate temperature is definitely safe as people have been doing it for millions of years, and for at least hundreds of thousands of years we have been inhaling burning pine from fires. Not to say it’s safe, but how many people have been hitting true terps pinenes for years with no adverse health effects? I think it’s either from the new cuts, new crc techniques, or a conspiracy from big gov/big tobacco to help enable market monopolies. I dont have anything invested in any of those, so all I’m concerned about is the truth coming out, but I dont think this is from anything old. That said, traces of solvents and other chemicals are found in terpene isolates (synthetic or not), and there is a reason FDA has declared synthetic myrcene to be cancer causing while natural myrcene has shown anti-tumor effects, despite them being supposedly the same “thing”

1 Like

top hit for mayo vapi? mayo vapi - Google Search

https://www.amazon.in/Mayonnaise-VAPI-GENERAL-STORE/s?rh=n%3A4859743031%2Cp_6%3AA197BLRAFJBTMU

it’s got oil in it, so it won’t hurt your lungs.

2 Likes

The terps themselves probably aren’t carcinogenic, it’s the degradation of the terps when carcinogens are made. But the temp needs to be at least around 500 degrees celsius for the most common terps to degrade, which is way hotter then vape pens are supposed to operate.

Terps are used in vape at are much higher rate than terps are naturally found in flower. Terps in vapes have been around for years, since around 2015 or a little earlier.

I agree. I wish the CDC/FDA would release the list of things they are testing for and how many samples had those chemicals/substances. The lack of info is insane.

Which is why I asked him to make a thread about cutters, which I don’t use. This thread is not about cutters generally, and it’s not about pros/cons of using vit E as a cutter. It’s just about the issue of vit E not causing VAPI from lipoid pneumonia, which goes against the previous assumption that it does.

It’s weird you took time to count my posts. Your stats aren’t well founded because I don’t post a lot anyway.

All I’m trying to do is shed some light on this situation, not cause more confusion. Too many times people derail threads with good intentions, but they still end up doing something negative (derailing a thread).

In case you missed it, this is why I care about this issue. It seems to me some people here have a narrative they want to be true, not matter the facts, so they try to attack the messenger:

Lots of stuff in there that has nothing to do with this thread. And also has already been addressed. Mostly the logical fallacies in those posts are just, wow.

The Mayo Clinic is not testing the vape juice. That’s the CDC/FDA and states. The Mayo Clinic only looked at lung tissue under a microscope, and they are the first to do so, which is why their findings are so important and totally changed the story on VAPI.

The Mayo Clinic study only showed that VAPI isn’t caused by lipoid pneumonia, and no oil was found AT ALL on lung tissue (let alone drowning, lol). That means the claim that many people here (and in this very thread) are making is just wrong. But it seems some people don’t like to learn what they are yelling about isn’t the issue.

I pointed out, and agreed, that terpenes, vit E, and many other things could be causing the caustic chemical damage to the lungs. But, that’s not the topic of this thread.

And Dr. Larson, lead researcher of the Mayo Clinic study, said he doubts vit E is the cause, or even part of the cause of VAPI. That means he already showed vit E oil isn’t causing lipoid pneumonia, and he also is “skeptical” that vit E is causing chemical toxicity damage to the lungs.

It’s very important to avoid incorrect claims that have been disproved. The whole reason for this thread is to try to clear up misunderstandings and assumptions that are flying around this forum like a hive of bees. Thankfully there are many smart people in this thread who are being intellectually honest, but there are also many people who are not.

I totally agree there’s no reason to rule out terpenes when considering toxic chemical damage, unlike lipoid pneumonia. I have made that point, and agreed with others who have made it throughout this thread.

And just like vit E, it’s important to consider when terps entered the market, and the tens of millions of carts with terps that have been used since at least around 2014-2015. The first cases of VAPI didn’t occur until around 2016-2017.

Sarcasm doesn’t really help does it? After all, we are talking about 18 dead people, with over 1000 sick. I just don’t get why so many people here are making light of this situation, and trying their best to throw confetti into the air to confuse people. Seriously, if you want to hate just start a new thread. Stop trying to confuse people. This topic is too important.

It’s really sad what you’re doing because you’re obviously very smart and should know better.

3 Likes

fuck me, thats a shit load of editing, quoting and general ball ache you’ve put into this reply, if anything makes you sound shifty, its this long assed reply … and all you’re trying to do is shed some light lol …

5 Likes

LOL I agree. But if you try to make many new posts replaying to people the forum itself nags you to not do that. The forum suggests people post like I just did, when replying to many other people. So I guess you should blame this forum.

My post didn’t take any extra work, all you need to do is hit the Reply button for each post and they automatically show up in one new post.

1 Like

sounds like you’re default position is blame someone else …