Replacing Magnet in Mantle

Hey everyone, did a quick search didnt find anything on this. Hoping someone has tried this.

I can’t get my stir bar to go over 800 anymore.
And I have to increase its speed gradually to even get it that high.
Can only hit 5-600 during s run.
Figured the stir bar itself lost magnetism.
So I got one of those pricy Belart ones.
Same thing.

I’m assuming the magnets in the mantle got over heated or finally lost magnetism.

Its a ychem that has served me well for more than a year. Everything else is fine with the mantle and I’d rather not toss it or spend money on new one.

It looks like it has to two round flat magnets attached to a disk that spins.

I’m assuming I can just remove these and super glue (?) New ones in place.

Anyone tried this?

The ones on there look like typical black magnets.

Any recommendations on types of magnets that handle heat well.

I’m hoping I can fix it even better than it was. 1400 is the most it used to maintain during a run. I’d like to get it faster.

1 Like

yep. go for it.

check Stir Bars for a discussion on magnets

2 Likes

I have replaced every part on these mantles myself. You are better off replacing the entire magnetic stirring assembly than trying to replace the magnetic disc itself. Then you can be sure the entire assembly is going to function properly. If you replace just the magnet and you can’t achieve the RPMs you wish to achieve then you’ll have to take it apart again…and that’s always lame. You can hit up Ychem and order some magnetic stir assemblies for super cheap…I think they’re like $5 each. I bought a half dozen PIDs, 4-pin Aviation connectors for the thermo-probes, heat-sinks, Magnetic Stirring Assemblies plus a couple dozen discrete semiconductors (TRIACs) to be prepared for repairs…because they will be necessary. If you have trouble sourcing the components or have questions in general I’d be happy to assist.

7 Likes

@cyclopath @Mosaic_Co-Labs

Thank you both for your advice.

I ordered some Samarium Cobalt magnets last night. Figured I’d just fasten them on top of the disk and drop the whole thing a 1/4in the width (height) of the magnets.

Didn’t expect ychem would offer replacement parts. That sounds like a much better route.

Good advice on stocking up.

Since covid I’ve been trying to stock extra parts for everything I own. From my truck to my compressor to my chainsaw. Always good to be prepared.

Thanks again :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’m uncertain Ychem will sell replacement parts but none of these units are unique and all utilize similar or the same parts. So if Ychem is not able to help hit me up and I can determine what you need and source it for you easily

4 Likes

Appreciate the offer brotha. I’ll let you know if I can’t figure it out.

1 Like

So very strange.

After a days rest the mantle is ripping again. I don’t think anything changed. But it’ll take my trusty stir bar up to 2500 rpm. It used to max out around 1800-1900. This is mystifying the shit out of me.

Only thing I can think of. Is that when I took it apart to look at the components I left it stuck to a piece of metal for awhile. Maybe the magnets acting through the metal realigned eachother :thinking:. Idk

I’m gonna order back ups anyway.

On another note:

Are Bel-Art stir bars not the shit?

I just got two of these $100 stir bars because I’ve seen numerous people recommended them. I can’t get them past 400 in either my 5 or my 20l.

Right now my trusty old stir bar I’ve been using for like a year and half can hit 2500 in my 5l and 3000 in my 20l.

The problem is I have no idea where my old one came from, I stole it from my business parter who was using it mix tinctures. She has no idea where it came from either.

I’m scared :fearful: it’ll eventually crap out and I won’t have a suitable replacement.

Any other recommendations?

Pic: Bel-Art next to Old Faithful

2 Likes

How much does each magent weigh individually? Be sure to place something like an upside plastic cup between the magnet and scale platform if using a digital scale.

The football shape is most common next to pill shape. They are both easy to find. It’s also not just about RPMS. Different shapes create better vortices. Ultimately your goal is to create the best vortex that you can. You want to be careful to keep your stirring at the appropriate level of intensity to distill your target fraction. Especially careful if powder loading your flask

3 Likes

One of them was on the job yesterday. But they both have Sunday off :wink:.

Weighed both, Bel-Art is 40g and the White one is 36g.

I guess its just that extra 4g plus the resistance caused by its shape.

I see how the Bel-Art would create a better vortex if I could spin it fast enough.

There are tons of the football shaped ones and most of them suck. Everyone I’ve tried besides the one I talk about hasn’t performed.

1 Like