Re-dissolve BHO for CRC

I like to disassociate from my busy life by reading. Glad I could be of help.

Do it like @Waxplug1 says though. Add more fuel to get that mass of oil to crc correctly. Reruns are always a bitch

6 Likes

Yeah finding that out currently lol. Really was hoping this would go a bit smoother but such is life…

And yeah @Waxplug1 thanks for always being the homie with all the info as well. Can’t thank you enough brotha

I’ll be sure to really water it all down and get it good to go. Will report back with any helpful findings I can

Edit: water it down with more solvent not water :rofl:

2 Likes

I laughed to myself about that one, but obviously knew what you meant.

3 Likes

the way i dissolve some of my bho is i take the following:
6x48 material column with a jacketed squirt bowl on the bottom with a 20 micron sintered disk on top. i then put stainless screen scrubbies so that the wax can be suspended on top of the filter and not get stuck to the 20 micron disc itself. and then above the micron disc ill put a sight glass so i can see whats going on above the filter and see if the wax has fully dissolved yet. i then heat my jacketed squirt bowl and jacketed material column to around 90-100f. i slightly recover off the top to agitate my butane on the inside. i put around 15-20 lbs of solvent in the column with anywhere from 100-400 grams of bho in it. the more i put in the longer it takes to dissolve

4 Likes

so i sort of did something similar although I didn’t use a filter plate or do anything to “suspend” the oil. just sitting on the bottom of my collection. I did the math and my collection holds about 80lbs of solvent. I filled it with probably 1700-1800 grams. Then solvent to the top and boiled it, recovered some to keep it boiling, then i flooded the collection again with the recovered solvent and did the process again. all while at about 105f. It got pretty late in the day so I killed the heat and waited for the pressure to go down so I could just leave it. I wont be able to get back over there until Tuesday, so I’m hoping by then it’ll be dissolved but for some reason I don’t think it will being that its just sitting with no agitation or heat. We shall see. The plan is to move as much of the solvent over to a column, then dump in fresh solvent and keep going until its all dissolved. at which point i’ll move it all over to a couple columns, then push those through a crc and recover and pour.

Some takeaways from this… I definitely think just leaving the oil sitting on the bottom of the vessel isn’t as good as suspending it like you’re doing. Willing to bet that would be much faster. Secondly, really think putting a filter plate under is key. Third, I almost wonder if it would be better to warm the butane first and then pour it over the oil to let it dissolve. The thought being that it wouldn’t “harden” the BHO when it first makes contact, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

Yeah you can even pre warm your oil in the oven at 110f. I also think keeping the oil suspended helps agitate it a little bit more since I there’s a heated squirt bowl underneath it and the boiling butane can come up from underneath the oil and agitate it maybe slightly better…

i do this when im dissolving oil also —- i shove bitro through and agitate the solution

1 Like

Re dissolving this right now. This is the darkest shit I have ever seen lol. So bad a 502 didn’t even want it…

Let’s see what a bunch of b80 can do…

Update: all set up and shits dissolved into butane. Dissolved super easy once it was put on heat. Getting DI for recovery and then getting the show rolling.

I’m running around 700 grams diluted in 35lbs of butane through a 3x12” crc full of b80.

4 Likes

Ok so would just like to put some final updates here for everyone for what I learned.

Pretty much what most of everyone said here is true. Here’s what I found:
-biggest factor is butane to oil ratio. I put about 1800g of oil into my 12x36 collection and as @Waxplug1 said, it took about 3-4 times of me flooding to top with solvent, boiling/recovering into my solvent tank, and flooding again and repeat. If your recovery is slow you can imagine how long this takes.
-you need the strongest boil possible for agitation
-heat is a must. You can’t just put cold butane onto oil, it essentially hardens the oil in my experience
-pushing nitro up from the bottom port to help agitate more worked great
-pushing the saturated solvent into a column to hold it, and then flooding the collection with fresh solvent helped a lot as well
-letting that much oil sit at the bottom of the vessel full of butane for about 48 hours didn’t do much in terms of dissolving
-I think suspending the oil like mentioned above would help a lot, but think biggest factor is oil to solvent ratio

Hope this helps someone else down the line. It’s a long process if you’re trying to do a lot at once so if anyone has tips for large batches, would be awesome to hear. Thanks guys :v:

8 Likes

I load the big bfe and run hot water through the jacket and recover like stated. Ive done 10-12# at a time takes about 45 mins til it can go to crc. Could probably do 20-30 it would just take forever.

2 Likes

Yee haw :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@Hansel im Excited to see the results of this

nah, just blow smoke up its ass…

We run a dedicated vessel for re-dissolving (or staging) for CRC.

I use a pump to recover off the top, and return the hot vapor through the bottom.

takes a boil to a roil, and gets you dissolved in no time flat.

same trick works most places you need to get a little pushy…

8 Likes

Damn thats actually a great idea!

But there is definitely a limit as to how much oil:solvent ratio right?

Takes a boil to roil unless you put too much oil… by the time its done you’ll be under the soil?

2 Likes

Which is why I repeated @Saucyslabz advice twice :shushing_face:

Make that three times…

Edit: referring to the process as “blowing smoke up its ass” was to distinguish it from sending in a wook with a heat gun, which is simply “blowing up it’s ass”.

4 Likes

:rofl: gotta admit, it’s hard to stick with all the information posted when you’re at the lab getting frustrated :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yeah, but you won’t forget it, and it’s easier to pass along with the associated mnmemonic :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I did eventually put in a valve after the master caper pump to try for the hot gas push but did not get near the pressure I thought I would. In fact that’s how I figured out the mvp was slowing down my recovery!!! I would run mostly passive until I needed to pull vac on columns then I would use the mvp. If I needed head I would just grab it where ever it was! Lol pressure that is. Thanks @cyclopath I did learn a lot from you and sure wish I could get that time with ya again. I could make better use of it I’m sure. I was too green to even grasp it.

1 Like

Once I’m back in the oven and everything has separated, how long should I hold out for the biggest diamonds to form? Is there a point that it’s done all it will do?

Yes there is….and if you keep heating, presumably you can go down hill as well.

Although crystalline THCA is a smidge harder to decarboxylate than when it is in solution, so that’s probably not a huge deal.