Clogs problem

Hard to answer with broken english. Is there a language barrier here, or is that just how you type?

Your CRC filter should not be clogging, and you should be stacking paper filters ahead of it, to make your welded filter only handle rips and blowby of the paper filters.

2 Likes

Do you guys think that running dry material through crc without freezing prior to extraction will cause issues with flow rate?

Normally runs are packed and placed in cryo till next day then processed, an extractor in the facility I work at did a run without it being frozen before extraction and he took god damn near 4 hours to complete the run (mep30) I’ve ran crc in the same situations with minimal to no problems. The employee thinks it was ‘cause since it wasn’t kept frozen and was dry material, the top of the crc cake got clogged with fats…… thoughts? I’m just trying to justify why it took so damn long to do one run. Obviously because of “the clog”

What y’all think?

1 Like

if you start cold and its getting warm at some point it can make ice in the system.

1 Like

Solvent, coils and material columns are all kept cold either with chillers or dry ice. The material wasn’t frozen it was just dry trim. Thanks thumps.

99.99998% of clogs are from running cold causing the moisture in the sorbents to freeze and blind. 00.00001% is from ppl running crcs that are too thin or too tall. The last 00.00001% is from ppl who have a overpowered recovery that is causing the sintered disc to freeze.

3 Likes

My clogs come when I try to redissolve in material column. The drain spout clogs

1 Like

I like to use a fritted filter plate when redissolving oils. It allows for solvent to get underneath it and any oil that seeps through the holes is small enough to move through the lines

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll throw one on

2 Likes

Another trick is to throw the oil in a sock and then throw the sock on the fritted plate. It ensures all the oil is fully dissolved

1 Like

It’s that shitty ETS column if you’re using it, I run an MEP30 and wound up retrofitting a 6inch column and modifying the mounting bracket to accommodate it. Going from 6 to 2 inch sucks, even with high-flow media. Also, depending on the chiller you’re running into your jackets and injection coil, you might have a problem with warm solvent picking up moisture. Huber 902s with siloil cannot actually push fluid through the system, the oil is too viscous for the pump at -60. Don’t let anyone see you do it, but add ~750mls of ethanol to your bath and it’ll thin the oil out enough to circulate. You’ll notice a pretty dramatic temperature drop through the injection immediately.

@thumper I definitely wouldn’t recommend backflowing nitrogen if you’re not rerunning material. Using some pre-blended media like CRX is advisable if you have frequent clogs, though, just because channeling won’t really effect performance if you have to. You can also get away with 5um disks if you run a ton of solvent trough to pick up any fines, which dramatically increases flow.

Thanks for the replies, I always run cold and have either no issues or minimal issues. Always finish a run in about 2hrs. I was just seeking opinions referring to the start material being dry and not frozen before extraction causing fats to stack on top of media cake. Makes sense to me what wax plug says though. I just feel like the filtration paper we use at the base isn’t being replaced.

Also, We don’t use the mep crc spool, built our own and placed a mount on the side where the dewax chamber would originally go. Works great.

I just freeze media at the bottom of the biomass columns now. Works like a dream

blow hot smoke up it’s ass…

Re-dissolve BHO for CRC - #49 by cyclopath

1 Like

so there can be a few different causes to your clog

1: ice in your gas/lines: you may need to add s mol sieve to your system or refresh your beads. and make sure your lines are clean
2: Moisture in your media: if you are not baking your media properly it will absorb lots of ambient moisture. This will cause clogging in your crc especially if you do not have a jacketed crc column and are using carbon chemistry media
3: Sintered disk clog: make sure you are changing your your sintered disk and cleaning them or you risk them clogging mid run. i highly reccomend using 2 disks a 5um and a 1 um with the smaller micron on the bottom. then also using a filter paper and ring (to help keep the disk clean)

3 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend baking the media. The moisture is there to help improve clarity in the oil. Try injecting warm into the crc and that should get rid of all your clogging issues

1 Like

please explain how moisture can help improve clarity in the oil…?

ps: “injecting WARM” is still -5 degrees

1 Like

It removes hydratable phospholipids(fats/gums). I use the term “warm” since that’s what everyone here is used to. What I mean is don’t chill the solution as that will either crash fats/thca on top of the cake or freeze the moisture in the clay leading up to a clog

1 Like

thank you everyone for your advice. And sorry for my bad english i use google translate

3 Likes

Yeah, that undoubtedly complicates things…

1 Like