Rdwc

Hi guys, I have a few questions about using bleach and I saw you talking about that in this thread so I might as well ask here instead of opening a new one.

The HTH Pool Shock I found is 56% calcium hypochlorite.

24g of that per galllon is 3.55g of calcium hypochlorite / 100ml H2O. Wouldn’t that make it roughly 3.6% bleach?

Also, laundry bleach here is a sodium hypochlorite solution. Is the dosage the same as of calcium hypochlorite?

And last question: how often should I repeat adding bleach to the res? My res is being bubbled and circulated 24/7 and I think the chlorine evaporates within a few days. I am not using DWC but rather a flood & drain setup with an open res under the flood table.

I noticed biologic growth is inhibited in the res after i started using bleach but it does happen after a few days. Logic tells me to repeat adding bleach when chlorine smell is gone but I dont want to risk adding too much bleach so I’d rather ask here first. Also I use sodium hypochlorite laundry bleach. Maybe it evaporates quicker than calcium hypochlorite?

Thanks a lot in advance and I look forward to all comments.

They are both food safe at 3-5 ppm. I lifted the recipe off some cannabis message board. That’s why it’s always good to double check your math!

5 Likes

I never bought the pool shock but undercurrent does make 6 gal jugs of their “roots” product

It’s hypochlorous acid.

The pool shock is obviously Way less expensive

5 Likes

halfway through week 3. Definitely installing more of these systems.

8 Likes

Do you plan to trellis?

4 Likes

Get a permeate pump.
Get an RO pump
Add an additional, oversized membrane, to the waste water output of the first membrane. Double your DI filters when doing this.

Adding the second RO dramatically reduces the waste water produced. The permeate pump will increase the pressure of the system. The RO pump will further increase the pressure improving the overall efficiency.

I have 3 RO systems all with some variation of that configuration. Living in the desert I am water conscious and abhor the idea of wasting water.

10 Likes

How long was veg on those?

2 Likes

No trellis got cables about 7’ off the ground with a shit ton of yo yos. About 3 week of veg. Fucking timer fucked up and kept turning lights on so a little more than I wanted. Due to root growth.

Edit three weeks of veg after transplant that was 12”

4 Likes

Awesome root growth!

I enjoy sharing with people. This has been a fun experiment

7 Likes

I do not miss yo-yos…

4 Likes

I hear you. But the trellis makes me feel trapped. I like getting all up on there.

1 Like

Truth! It’s a love hate relationship. If it fits the room design it’s great. If you end up crawling under the net all the time, blow my brains out please…

I use the mod cages now from cch20 and won’t be looking back

9 Likes

The Lowe’s by my house sells something VERY similar. I bought all their stock for a couple years there.

Fuck I just switched from maaad cages back to trellis crawling in coir. Both ways are tough. Can u post a pic of ur setup w the cages for inspiration @FicklePickle

I’ve got the bulkheads and bins but havnt found the motivation or time to mock up a lil rdwc…

4 Likes

He showed me the cages. They’re pretty sweet. I just reconfigured my room, adding buckets and tightening up their center to center distance. Now these cages make sense for my room. Definitely my next upgrade.

2 Likes

About $35 a pop.

5 Likes

I would try looking in hardware stores, construction supply houses, anywhere other than paying that much for that. You can get a sheet of material to make cages for like $3-6 a piece depending (and that’s up here) for an entire sheet of metal grating.
Not that I don’t want to see people making money, only that I’m a cheap fuck, and couldn’t rationalize paying that price.

8 Likes

Exactly! But bending hog panels is a great way to tear muscles in your chest. :person_raising_hand: been there…

Take it to any shop willing to put hog wire on a large brake and have them fold it up for yah. Waaaay worth not hurting yourself over…

To be fair I was working with 2x4 paneling
:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

If it’s something you’ll be doing at least by-annually I would invest in a cheap brake to use. You guys just wait until I get down there! I bend this up for members on the side…
I’m going to need a metal brake at some point, for what I’m going to do…
Edit: I’m so disgusted that they want $30 for a cage

3 Likes

I get rolls at Depot I have a ton of the precut that I would put around as needed sometimes I’d go 3 layers deep for big trees

3 Likes