Quality ball valves

Agreed. The compression ones on my system only use a ptfe washer with a nut to seal the valve seat. It sucks and if I knew that before I bought 2k worth I wouldn’t have… I shoulda bought one to sample first… I don’t get many leaks cus I check them before every run but if they need to be adjusted hot or cold they will warp and are fucked…

1 Like

I absolutely hate block style ball valves. My prior industries used solid body designs with integrated seating surfaces and they leaked so much less.

Depending on your budget: One-Piece Instrumentation Ball Valves, 40G and 40 Series | Ball and Quarter-Turn Plug Valves | Valves | All Products | Swagelok

Edit: Not really needed except maybe for the super critical CO2 guys, but if you want to step into the big leagues: http://www.autoclave.com/aefc_pdfs/vftcc_english.pdf

3 Likes

Are you tightening down a nut that holds a handle in place? Or are you removing a nut, removing a washer, removing the handle, cleaning any residual oils from the packing nut, and then tightening the nut that retains that seal?

4 Likes

hamlets leak even when brand new

4 Likes

+1 on what nut are you tightening?
You need to tighten the packing nut not the handle

4 Likes

Idk man theyve been on our system including solvent tank for about 8 months. Sounds like you dont know how to take care of them. Ive never had a new one leak and i have like 60 of them

2 Likes

I was a merchant marine in a former life. They taught us to adjust packing gland nuts 1/16th of a rotation at a time. Cause you can always go tighter, but you can’t go looser

5 Likes

The price for hamlets vs china swage clones,
Pros/ cons

Before you go telling people they don’t know how to take care of equipment, please tell me why the ham-let valves DO NOT have the packing nut. They have one accessible nut outside the handle, unlike the blue valves which have two. I’m not stupid, I asked for advice on an issue I’m having, not for someone to incorrectly state how these are built. Again, if I’m wrong please tell me what I do not yet know. What I do know is that the nut gets loose very quickly, I’m running my machine every day and have to check every valve to see which need to be tightened or else they begin to leak

2 Likes

Accidental post

Where did you get your valves from. Mine aren’t like that

1 Like

The only time i notice loose valve handles is when i accidentally let the safety stay down when i open the valve. Loosens the handle up.

Also i wasnt even replying to you when i said that so chill man. Go look for yourself. Im tryin to help you

1 Like

Xtractordepot. Just bought them a few weeks ago. If this is their new design it’s definitely flawed. My 3/8 and 1/2” are all like this

1 Like

@troy227 works at xd. Maybe he can help

Just looked over my system. Id say about half are like yours. Never noticed until now. But also arent experiencing what you are either. Mine came from hfs over a period of a year so they def changed

1 Like

We got some from hfs as well, forgot about that.

Well maybe throw some ptfe tape on the threads to hold the nut on tight. Worth a shot

Would suck to have to take apart and tape 30+ $80 valves. Also considered buying some lock nuts to replace them with, but it’s “nuts” to have to rebuild what are supposed to be quality parts! Wonder why they resigned them this way…

1 Like

Im not sure but i dont like it. I can bet money they still make the others and they are being cheap (hfs and xd) and buying these ones to save money

Edit. Nope just checked their site and they are like this now. Wow. Whack