Pulling Fats @ -60C?

I’m sure at one of the glg events that hopefully are coming up next year

3 Likes

Don’t forget, when I move I’ll have a standing invitation to give members a place to stay if they ever want to explore the “Great White North”. Alyeska’s only 45 minutes away, among others…

1 Like

This is awesome! Bear Grylls style

I’m actually not sure! Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the pressure could cause fats to crash out. I see a tiny amount of fats in 90% of my live resin runs, except one strain that is really high in Terpinolene that just has a lot of fats that come with during extraction for some reason. Usually running a 50/50 blend, I did run 70/30 on Thursday and did notice less fats tho.

Can you elaborate on cloudy/clear in your collection pot? My coworker and I notice the solvent in our collection pot get cloudy and then clear sometimes and weren’t sure why it happened.

Usually fats dropping out when the solution is cold enough. As it warms up at different levels of solvent and different stages of recovery, it’ll become more translucent. I highly, highly doubt that it is thca, I have done countless runs that yield exponentially more that don’t do the same. It does tend to happen on mostly live runs. Butane will always grab fats, that’s just it’s nature. You can switch over to a lighter isobutane (methyl-propane), but when you go cold it isn’t abrasive enough to get the same return as the normal butane. But, it has less of an affinity for fats and other vegetable oils.

I used isobutane for a long time. I liked the recovery rates and the terp profile, but when I started running cold vs warmer w/ a dewax. I started to lose 25-40% returns. So when I ran cold I would switch. Now I only run cold with no blend, just normal butane.

6 Likes

That makes total sense! Thank you for the response.

1 Like

Im stingy and ill rerun material over and over if i see trichs- thats good to make gummies out of instead of throwing it away. I know people who smoke used material froma volcano???

1 Like

I’ve always thought that was due to yield. Higher yielding strains seem to cloud up the butane on it’s way into the collection pot pretty good. Maybe it’s because higher yield= more fats? This making the butane cloudy? idk I’m using a 70/30 blend though

Has anyone used a gauge and measured temp drop of a 50 foot coil in a dry ice slurry when it exits the coil? Does cooling the solvent tank do anything if using a coil on input? I have nitro assist.

1 Like

Last time I saw it, it was a low yielder. At least that time and my observation. I have had it happen to strains that yielded well for LR as well, so it hasn’t been consistent for me

1 Like

What’s LR now?

Huh? Live Resin

1 Like

Q = UAdT

U is overall heat transfer coefficient
A is surface area of heat exchange
dT is temperature change

If you have a chiller with a certain kW rating, the following equation will tell you how much the temperature drops per second:

dT = Q/UA

Look up the value of U for coils.

1 Like

How does the oil come out after the rerun? Sometimes I will throw my extracted biomass under the trichscope and I see a few heads every now and then, but my state’s laws don’t allow for any type of recycling (or even edibles) and we haven’t found a successful way to store already extracted fresh frozen material. If it makes sense to rerun into a different collection pot, I would totally do it.

This is also correct for my observations. Honestly, the weed and machine has a mind of its own some days.

1 Like

the oil is fine and I can get decent quantity enough to be worth it for me.

I just let it do what it wants, hypothetically speaking

Yes we freeze fresh frozen at -90c in ultra low freezer then smash while cold and fill socks. Socks stay in -90c freezer right up until they get loaded in to system.

2 Likes

I was just curious because you guys are always mentioning temps. My ir guage is lost so guess Ill just buy one from harbor freight and measure instead of the math thing.

1 Like