Pulling Fats @ -60C?

This is great info thanks @xxxtortellini ! Very interesting about the material and Terpinolene.
I am running some other biomass and will update soon if I continue to encounter the same issue - looking to remove the biomass variable from the equation to futher clarify.

1 Like

Anytime! Do you happen to know what temp your biomass is coming out after extraction? I just stuck a temperature probe into my biomass immediately after extraction, and it’s at -39C :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I went to goodwill and bought fat mans pants. Cut one leg off put it on your column and ziptie at the bottom and you have a dry ice sleeve.

8 Likes

I dont temp it pulling it out but I will give that a shot, good idea - It’s coming out of Jacketed vessels that are @ -60C though

I just have a deep freeeze but I notice the steel seems to warm up quickly. At least with dry ice on the outside that should help.

Put some insulation around my columns today while extracting, they stayed waaay colder than normal. Thanks for giving me the motivation to finally do that :rofl: My biomass was coming out at around -55C after extraction, still pulling fats, but less. Going to put better insulation on my columns next week and run more tests.

@Northern out of curiosity, do you grind/mill/smash your biomass before extracting?

2 Likes

quick question, am i gong to remove same ammount of fatts with -40°C than with -70°C?

1 Like

Short answer is no:

Solubility of lipids versus temperature is a curve. As temperature increases the solubility of fats increases and vise versa.

Some people have suggested that you can pull fats as low as -80 with n-Butane, but I’ve not seen it happen personally.

2 Likes

You should come see it on my system. Almost every time

3 Likes

No. Go as close to the -70c as possible, or further.

1 Like

Dude next time I pass thru AZ I will take you up on that

2 Likes

I haven’t seen a chromatogram on what you’re dropping out yet…have you gotten the stuff on your filters tested for THCA?

I’ve seen fluffy white THCA on the filters at the bottoms of my columns at -50C. I suspect there were puddles that evaporated rather than THCA that crashed before/as it hit the filters.

I’ve always avoided dewaxers as the first one I was handed was only 1/2 the volume of the material column it was matched with. seemed like a bad idea. apparently I never got over that :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

5 Likes

As much as everyone hates the site glasses. But, when I flood the column, the solvent passes through and stops against my filters, the soak. My site glass remains cloudy and then I stage down to 1 or 2 micron. Usually cleans it up easily and it isn’t cloudy in the collection. If it is, I can warm up solvent and it’ll clear up. As it drops temp towards the end of recovery they will get cloudy again. This is even with -75c solvent on a lc02 chilled material column and fresh frozen material.

It came out amazing.

@FicklePickle this is the mule fuel.

ZERO CRC

9 Likes

I don’t know if I want to eat it, smoke it, or smear it all over all my body…
Looks tasty

4 Likes

Thank you, sir. I just whipped it up this evening

3 Likes

I don’t want to give you a finite answer because it is a curve. HOWEVER,

while we strive to be at -70 sometimes shit happens (chillers acting up, didn’t have enough time to pre chill ethanol) and we’ve ran closer to -40/-50. I can honestly say we’ve never had an issue with fats.

Our process is start to finish no extra filtration no winterization and we produce some of the prettiest crude and distillate on first pass you’ve ever seen. I’ve seen a lot of good research that says the difference between -40 and -70 is negligible and I can say that’s been my experience overall

2 Likes

That mule fuel you gave me was off the charts. Love that profile

3 Likes

So is using less psi a way to pull less fats with most strains? Or just that one? What’s the solvent you use? I run a 70/30 blend

1 Like

If you’re ever looking for a home for any of your work you can send it to me. If I hadn’t already sold my soul to Uncle Sam I would gladly offer it up for trade in some of your work! You products are ALWAYS FIRE, (well from appearances anyway)! If you ever want to throw some my way I would gladly (and appreciatively) give it a good home before it’s sacrificed over a hot bed of quartz in the name Treesus! (He sheds his leaves for us!)

But really, what do I have to do to be able to taste your work? Short of getting on a plane, and going to AZ?

1 Like

You’re using Etoh, and the thread is talking about butane/lpg, and not so much about alcohol. I think your results are more common using that solvent versus the lpg.