Pull N' Snap

I am new to extracts, very new. I have consistently made pull n snap shatter while extracting BHO and turning it into oil but the people who taught me and sparked my interest they cook their BHO at high temps ie hot plate under a SS vacuum pot then after the vacuum purge they leave it on the woodstove top until there is NO BUBBLES at all, other than tiny little CO² bubbles if you heat it when it’s in a fiver vile with a torch so I have no references or way of determining if when I make the pull and snap it’s clean or not because they tell me if it still bubbles it’s dirty and I read everywhere that terps bubble, other biomass in the extract bubbles, so I’m confused does BHO always bubble even when the tane is gone? How do I know what to look for? What is the indicator tane is gone? Can I rely on the bubbles? Am I removing the tane and the bubble are not tane? I need help… I really wanna make pull n’ snap shatter consistently.

3 Likes

Lab testing helps for that, and shatter turns to wax at 0ppm from my experience.

2 days at 90f
1day at 87f
1 day at 85f
All under full vacuum will get you where you wanna be.
Flip the slabs once daily.
Then bump the temp to 97f release vac to half, once temp has reached you can turn off the heat and it turns to Swiss cheese over the next couple hours.

One way to skin the :cat2:

6 Likes

You tagged this post “bubble-hash”. Removed it as irrelevant

See: Dry Sift, Kief, Hash & Bubble?

Your mentors are misinformed…

dangerously so? Maybe (Don’t know what else you’ve picked up from them…).

vacuum first sounds safe enough… just not great for your oil

See: Don’t put extract on your stove

You’re loosing terpenes, and probably (partially) decarbing, along with oxidizing and darkening your product.

Only way to know is to test.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try to make sure the tags are correct next time this is my first day.

I leave my initial blast in a steam bath for 1-2hrs before moving indoors, I’m not placing a tane sauce on the woodstove I prefer my skin soft not crispy.

From reading online (could be wrong I’m very new) pull n’ snap shatter is only possible when the extract is rich in monoterpes, I fully understand that the heat deteriorates thc, cannabinoids, terps, flavonoids, all of it. Heat is the enemy.

The root of my lack of understanding is I have no way to accurately manage temperature so I’m going off of what it looks like and how it reacts but when you’re uneducated and inexperienced on the matter i’m not even sure what i’m to look for or what my indicators are… it’s hard.

I have a vacuum chamber but not a vacuum oven, I’ve used hotplates, induction plates and steam to heat the chamber under vacuum with my extract inside and my mentors tell me any bubbles are bad bubbles unless they’re very very tiny little bubbles.

In short what I’ve been taught is safe bho doesn’t bubble, the only time it should bubble is if it’s aggressively heated with a torch and only makes little CO² bubbles and anything bigger is bad so the only way I’ve been taught to get rid of the bad is to use a lot of heat to get rid of what I’m told are bad bubbles but it always bubbles under vacuum if heated and too much heat always results in darker extract and sometimes i get lucky though it’ll be lightly colored even after being heated too much but even when it is like that it’s extremely sticky and only good for being spread on a paper, you can dab it off a pin but the stuff stays in a vile, it’s messy sticky goop.

Any tips, guidance, anything would be appreciated. I can make perfect pull n’ snap everytime but i just don’t know if I’m cleaning it right and i’m always being told I’m not and I probably end up taking it too far a result of that or maybe you’re right and my mentors are dangerous and I’ve been misguided and I’m just doing everything in general the wrong way.

After everything I’ve read online though the pull n snap I make seems right aside from the fact it bubbles when in vacuum and heated, at room temperature it isn’t sticky and well, it snaps when you pull it, little pieces, right in half, however you want it to pull and snap it, it’s a super cool thing to me I just want to make sure it’s clean and safe.

How do we know anything? What is knowledge?

Like they said, get some analytics, then you can use your lab test results to build a database for future problem solving and improvements. Not all bubbles are bad. To get your desired finish, work on a process using an oven and eliminating the steam bath from your process. Gotta have a good oven in the toolbox anyway. Also, work on the extraction process. Cold can help.

1 Like

Are you open blasting?

Sounds rather primitive.

1 Like

Seems overly aggressive…non-crispy is the definitely the primary goal. Your purge has that covered, but is not doing your extract any favors.

You can also achieve that consistency via partial decarb, which is what I imagine is happening in your case.

Solution seems obvious here…get a thermometer.

Then a “controller”. Eg Amazon.com

Aim to keep your purge below 40C, 35C would be better.

This plus a new column (~$400) would allow you to know more about what’s going on than those around you. Eg potency/terpenes/residual solvent

Getting ahold of one of these 10 years ago was a game changer…

3 Likes

First step is admitting that you don’t know.

Then: Guess, Test, Itterate

….and write it the fuck down or you’re not helping.

6 Likes

99.9°f flip once after 24 hours then 86.7 flip every 12 hours.

I’ve noticed if you pull a full vacuum before you flip as a good measure pull it helps a lot.

Letting the air back in slowly helps too.

3 Likes

You’re so funny :rofl:

Love the accuracy

2 Likes

If you’re willing to spend the cash get a vacuum oven.

BVV is having a sale .9CF Vacuum Oven Wide Window

Must be followed to the . !!!

3 Likes

New is nice, but all used equipment is selling for 25% or less on the forum right now

4 Likes

…and a seedling mat with a $20 temp controller under the chamber @envee has right now will (mostly) get the job done. certainly with less damage to extract than current.

Ovens are great, but they are no absolutely required for small scale users. I finally convinced the boss to spring for an actual vac oven (2013?), it definitely up’ed our game production wise. A single vac chamber worked quite well, a 1/2 dozen, octopussed together on air duty quick connects did not (those QC don’t hold vac well).

3 Likes

This :octopus:

1 Like

Vacuum chambers with a heat mat on a PID will suffice as well.