Protected terms in cannabis

After a couple terrible purchase experiences the last couple weeks, I have to wonder, why have we not as a community made an effort to properly define and protect the terms used in the legal cannabis market?

Live resin, for instance. Obviously, raw garden’s “live” fiasco comes to mind, as does true terpenes new “live” terps. I got a particularly misleading “live resin+” cartridge recently, where the “+” is distillate, hidden on the side of the package. I know when I think live resin, I think of a hydrocarbon extraction of fresh frozen plant material. Not a mix of live hte and distillate(which is still good), not CO2, not ethanol, and certainly not distillate with steam terps.

What other terms are there that should be defined and protected? Anything regional, ie Bourbon, Champagne, etc?

Diamonds? How do we define the difference between diamonds and sugar? Rated on size, clarity?

Sugar, badder, sauce? I feel most of us understand the terminology and it’s seemingly obvious, but I feel that standardizing it would be useful and cut down on some industry shenanigans to work as a community to develop a clear/concise set of standards for what’s what

14 Likes

Can’t stop the chads from naming it whatever they want.

13 Likes

In a legal market with trade protections you can

2 Likes

unfortunately, much like in the auto industry, we are not liable to be held to such standards.

For example a turbo can be the size of a small hair dryer and produce 1lb of boost which does not actually boost the HP of a en engine but it still says turbo on the badge

victim of creative advertising

3 Likes

How would you enforce this without burning piles of cash ?

only exception would be a class action imho

1 Like

Lobby to pass laws so the burden is shifted to regulators

1 Like

lol but when are regulators ever doing things correctly ?

4 Likes

When was the last time you saw bourbon that wasn’t from Kentucky?

3 Likes

Wouldn’t cannabis need to be legal federally before these type of protections could be enacted? I agree with the sentiment of this post, but don’t think it’s feasible until legalization happens at a federal level.

2 Likes

Sorry but I see that alot.

there are several brands here in Canada that are not from Kentucky and I dont see the Bourbon police enforcing the “rule”

While I do agree, I dont see it as feasible

2 Likes

Bourbon is only a protected term by law in the US, it’s up to other countries to enforce the same standards Bourbon whiskey - Wikipedia sub section “legal requirements”

1 Like

Nice so it isnt illegal here, good to know. for what its worth the not Kentucky bourbon is just as smooth and tasty as the genuine Kentucky bourbons Ive drank/drunk lol

1 Like

I love all whiskeys, no discretion on anything but taste :sweat_smile:

Christ, it’s brown ethanol that’s been watered down, by law…
I refuse to view booze as anything other than booze. It may cost more, but it’s still nasty shit. From the backwoods of Kentucky to the brackish shit Louisiana calls lakes… Still gross all the same

7 Likes

Same here but for some reason I can smell age on them …

To circle back to the topic, I think the vernacular surrounding regular expressions in the marketing of products to define live resin should be narrowed down to exclude the cannabinoids but highlight the terpenoids raw state because truly anything with HTE in it can be passed off as live resin to an unsuspecting customer.

3 Likes

Like a pair of dusty nuts no doubt!

5 Likes

Nice one man lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t willingly invite more regulation into my life at the whim of bureacrats. This is a marketing problem. It’s up to you to educate the consumer.

8 Likes

Sugar is crashed fast while diamonds aren’t. Easy difference between the 2. If your diamonds don’t break apart into smaller diamonds, its sugar.

Theres a lot of products that say something but in reality it isn’t. All you can do is counter said bad supply with real products imo

1 Like

We don’t need more regulation.

We need better people in the market, those better people need to push out the bad people who have been doing that to us smaller businesses for generations. Its time for smaller businesses and grows to stand up to corporate bullshit.

More regulation only incentivize’s more shady government and corporation deals and shady corporations in general

6 Likes