Propane VS N-Butane extraction

Azeotrope has nothing to do with whether the compounds layer in the liquid phase. They are two entirely different concepts. Rest assured there is little to no layering going on in a liquid mix of the two.

5 Likes

So longer times in vac oven to achieve or more temperature dependent would you say

Temp definitely matters, but it is fairly hard to get nice hard shatter usually sugars up or is pull and snap consistency. Blends work really good you get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. It’s much appreciated. I’d like to get all the information I can before I jump into it. For both safety and quilts reasons.

Ya its definitely not something to take lightly, and dont let your investors pressure you into something your not comfortable doing. Theres a small margin for error, so keep safety in mind. Most investors ive seen want something recreated and dont know how to do it or how its done.

1 Like

I’ve learned a lot in this community which has all been helpful and not to far different in “sop”. But safety first always with and hydrocarbon of course regardless of a CLS. I got a daughter to take care of so I have to be on top of everything. Again thank you

No problem, i get it the first time i stood in front of one and had no idea there was no forums really to help you. It was sink or swim.

3 Likes

It blends in a liquid state, just boils at different temps

1 Like

Any advice you can give on running a ets mep with 100% propane? For safety and quailed reason I want to make sure all my perimeters are correct. I’ve seeing people safe very cold collecting pot (-42c) and then someone else say they have there collection pot at 70f. I would think the colder the better as to leave some residual solvent for easier handling when moving to vac oven. My investors are looking for shatter which I will have to tell them is near impossible when a little butane mix can be added to get shatter consistency. Thanks in advance

1 Like

They are azeotropic for the reason that the BPs are too far apart…unlike say etoh and meoh.

5mm SS walls would be nice…equipment designed for CO2 would give me more confidence in the process if certification was absent.

nope. differences in BP are irrelevant to whether or not two liquids (or gases!) will form an azeotrope.

you should probably do some more reading…

8 Likes

I’m running a ets mep made for 100% propane so I believe the pressure testing is more than high enough for what is safe and certified

I stand corrected, as I remember that a mixture of liquids can create an azeotrope that actually has a lower BP than either component…hmm

I was taught that the butane bonds will break, in favor for the propane molecules. Creating the azeotropic bond were all referencing. But I have also noticed many many times that the recovery rate does slow down substantially towards the end. Leading me to believe dred pirate is right. I’m sure azeotropic bonds do occur, as I have much higher pressure in my jars when I use a blend compared to just butane. But just not as much as we all think.

4 Likes

You are using water to warm your collection going under 32f on your collection vessel could risk freezing the water, effectively ruining your jacket.

Getting shatter from propane is going to be really difficult use butane or a butane heavy blend.

Feel free to dm me on here or ig and I can give you a few pointers so you don’t ruin the machine.

2 Likes

Hey I don’t mean to intrude but my father got cured from cancer in Cuba very inexpensive .
He had colon cancer

I really love how after the video there is a bill and ted advertisement. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

@Jaywhips, Truly sad @Beaker is no longer with us. He’s really missed here :pensive:

6 Likes

I see @Dred_pirate @Roguelab and @Griffin.Labs talking about separating terps using propane in another thread. I thought I would try to move the discussion here to help keep things organized for future users of the forum.

I have been fractionating my live resin runs using pure propane for a few years now and it works great.

I run the first wash into a collection pot, clear out the column into that same collection pot and then do a second wash (and sometimes a third) into a separate collection pot.

The first pull is a very terp heavy fraction and the second is usually very crispy, mostly THCa shatter that still has great taste.

I haven’t found it necessary to do the secondary washes with butane which helps keep things very simple.

Furthermore, I think propane is the superior solvent for cannabis all around and seems to extract less fats, if any, among other advantages when compared to butane (n- or iso-).

I switched to running pure propane a couple years ago and I haven’t looked back since.

Has anyone else been playing around with this technique?

It doesn’t seem to work as well on trim or anything that’s dry due to the overall lack of terps compared to fresh frozen.

Both collection pot pics below are from the same column of material.

11 Likes