Propaganda : It Works!

It’s amazes me how far reaching blatant lies can be. I don’t claim to know all but a little research can reveal a lot!

I’m in a state where a vape ban lingers over our heads in limbo right now. So needless to say there is a constant bombardment of propaganda, news stories and straight scare tactics that are being used.

Just a short while ago I’m in a gas station with 2, late 20’s early 30’s women, when they start talking about the flavored vapes on the shelf. One mentions how the flavors target kids and how they are more deadly than cigarettes. The other responds with 100% surety “Yes much more dangerous than cigarettes”… How could people be so ignorant!?!

After explaining how thousands die weekly from cigarettes and comparably a very small number have become ill via vaping, they didn’t seem to believe me. The media is brainwashing the people here! I heard a stat the other day that more people died from choking on food than vaping this year.

Not sure how to combat these scare campaigns but something has to be done before it does even more damage to our industry. Maybe we should be starting our own campaign, dare I propose everyone moving over 1000pcs per week donate 5% to the cause? Commercials, radio ads, yahoo news articles…

What you say?..

7 Likes

I would say with much respect to all that you don’t have an industry yet in the modern sense of the word. With ingestibles and medicine I think an important missing concept is testing and enforcement for safety first then quality then benefit. Even a very few people making processing changes and sending product to consumers to ingest or inhale without demonstrating safety is hugely problematic. And the organization of cannabis related businesses hasn’t begun to get over the effects of being clandestine for so long. Self policing is likely not workable at this point. I don’t know the answers but the concept of wildcats getting the cheapest carts from China and putting their secret tek into them is clearly the problem. Gaining and maintaining public confidence while rapidly innovating is hard. IMHO. Maybe once national legalization happens an industry association can do education and market development but by then the government will likely have FDA or Dept of Agriculture oversight in place.

2 Likes

Well put and those are definitely all the hurdles we all face but to say a guy moving 1000+ per week isn’t in the biz is not accurate in my eye. The industry was built in the streets and remains strong here. The idea of policing others is most definitely a loosing battle but educating the consumer is not. Bottom line, from the top down the masses are poorly educated on these subjects. 95% of cart makers don’t understand how the intake size effects the performance of the cart, will it leak?, will it give a good hit?, ect… 95% of consumers actually think they’re getting a different high when the box says indica or sativa.

Like I said, not sure what the answer is but I’m leaning toward education at least on the major points.

5 Likes

Well I’m with you I just think it’s going to take some time to get there. I think some of the efforts like what Future is doing with verifications is part of the answer. Of course diminishing fraud in transactions to protect industry insiders is one thing. Protecting the public is likely orders of magnitude more difficult but very necessary. At the very least I foresee some basic enforceable rules like in the dairy industry.

If they were able to eradicate hemp which was one of the world’s major and staple crops through propaganda in the early 1900’s, it’s scary what they can do now with the power (and corruption) that the media has today…

3 Likes

You say that as though it’s been proven one way or the other. There’s no evidence saying it isn’t true, and people like myself anxiously await peer reviewed studies that demonstrate proof one way or the other.

4 Likes

Indica and Sativa mean nothing, I’ll pull the papers

https://peerj.com/preprints/3307.pdf

^Not peer reviewed

This podcast painted a really clear picture for me on how we got to where we are in this vapocalypse

9 Likes

Education is the solution for most of societies ills…but education takes effort and actual interest…which is absent in most.

Imagine if we as a society actually thought about anything with any real seriousness…critically and with an eye toward understanding the problem and finding a resolution.

Thinking is a luxury (from a time perspective), requires a solid base for context, and is therefore limited to a few.

Laws solve the rest.

IMO…Industry needs to open up and be transparent, and be regulated strictly and thoughtfully across the US. The Gov needs to step up and do what they should for public safety and progress. I dont think you can rely on the public to educate themselves and understand things they care little about.

Emotions are easy facts are hard. Doing the right thing is even more difficult.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean “nothing” in my opinion, I believe there are tendencies associated with the hemisphere the genetics go back to. I’m quite sure there’s a reason a majority of heavy sativas tend to have citrus terpenes and indicas tend to have myrcene and linalool. My best guess is the types of pests that the plant was dealing with can reflect the terpene profiles of the plants.

By all means the physical structure is the indicator of indica and sativa, and because of breeding, the terpene profiles have been drastically altered from their ancestors. Tendencies still manage to shine through very often.

That’s an oxymoron. Strict regulation constrict markets.

This whole vaping crisis is because the government refused to allow the vaping industry to advertise as a smoking cessation tool because of lobbying by big tobacco, so they advertised it as a hip lifestyle choice instead.

No matter how comfortable you may feel in the moment, government oppression of your freedom is never the right answer

5 Likes

There were… But multie mistakes were made in the last 100 years, in labeling at the least, to make that type of nomenclature obsolete.

100% agree Terpenes modulate the experience. They have nothing to do with an arbitrary Sativa or indica label. Read the 2 papers I linked to

2 Likes

@future distillation should tell us everything we need to know about THC being a flat baseless high. Without its counterparts - Terpy Terpenes - NOT removed and added back - THC is baseless, all of the personality is in the pudding per say.

Look at Sativas when extracted & Terps trapped what’s the first one we usually see - Carophyllene - & for Indica we usually see Myrcene. These are the personalities of the strain that give off its character combined with the strains minors. Indica/Sativa are just fancy words to describe a regional plant that science looked away from for decades…We now are finally solving some of the mysteries of our beautiful plant - lifetime of work still awaits!!!

P.S. didn’t read the papers - this is strictly from an observation stand point - what did we win?!

No, what I’m saying is there is no such thing as indica or sativa distillate but people think theyre getting a different high because the box says so.

4 Likes

Your saying disclosure of ingredients and the understanding of the safety of those ingredients within black market vape wouldnt have avoided this whole situation?

It’s not a big conspiracy its greedy fuckers taking advantage of the complete lack of a real system of safe distribution for a product with obvious demand.

1 Like

This isn’t only here…its with our food supply, consumer products…everything we touch.

The vast majority of man made chemicals are not understood nor regulated.

But on an aside…I am big fan of Darwin and letting these folks get what their lack of understanding in the world brings them…

In my eye it’s because the lack of education on the product. Take your basic consumer and throw some terms/lingo by them that goes right over their heads and they don’t retain that info, or just don’t care. Now take that same person and make say 3 carts in front of them, one @ 10% botanical, one @ 4% botanical and one with hemp. After sampling all products they begin to understand what it is they are smoking and also what is not a good product.

1 Like

I think we’re forgetting we are the cream to this. Do you not realize how many knuckle heads are out here in both spaces cbd/thc putting there spin on our beloved plant/products. Truly ludicrous

The only way to combat the black market is through deregulation. Banning vape carts has pushed the entire thing to the black market, a place where rules aren’t followed.

5 Likes

There is little to no correlation between the words Sativa and Indica to the Terpenes the strain is dominant in. That’s what paper number 2 explains.

Yes Terpenes are important to modulating the experience.

3 Likes

Cannabis prohibition is the definition of conspiracy.

6 Likes