pricing out consulting services

I feel that bro, never thought a simple question would be such an argument :joy:

1 Like

My suggestion, friend, is to create a resume with all your relevant experience and the amount of time spent on each of those things.

Assign a monetary value to each, and add them up to get an hourly rate. That way, you have demonstrated your pricing integrity to yourself and to any customers who may ask.

That being said, it also depends on location, difficulty of projects, etc.

Hope that helps.

7 Likes

Depends on what it is…some teks are more valuable than others…also how knowledgeable is the person you are consulting…are they gonna pick it up quick or is it gonna take a while…I’m a pretty fair person I would do 2k per process. Process as in distillation, color remediation, cls, etc.

4 Likes

:snowflake: that’s why :joy::joy::joy:

Thank you for the response, I should have worded the post better, I’m really just trying to figure out what non proprietary info is worth, like basic things that most equipment providers will give you with the purchase of their equipment and standard extraction sops… more to make sure that I am not over charging but also I do see value in even that info so don’t want to under charge as well… I have proprietary knowledge that I have learned from experience that I Have placed a value on. An example of that would be diamond sauce, thca isolate, wax, shatter, HTFSE all made in a co2 extractor single solvent, my experience in consulting has been in more in depth situations so just wanted to see if anyone else had numbers that made sense to me

I like you already. :100:

I would suggest you build a resume and have prior jobs a references with your current place of employment one. I have paid for a few consults and the last did not go so well since I did not take these steps. Also if your going to spend 4-7 days with someone a meet and greet might help also to make sure your dealing with a stable person. This is also a good rule of thumb…
Anyone can be anything online it’s all about who you are IRL.

6 Likes

Well I don t qualify for 10 years of extracting I am 24 years in canna trading but I love the art and have
maybe a feeling for it
I think that wanting to succeed and wanting to share and teach make it easier
And stating clearly what you are about to teach in advance
So one knows exactly what one will get
( no thc remediation is not included :joy: )

2 Likes

I think what gets missed is that yes, theres a cost for a persons time. Time is cheap. We’re dealing with businesses and product that fetch $20-300 per gram at retail, so the business value of the knowledge is much higher than the cost of a consultants time. Who would you trust more? The person repackaging general non proprietary info for $35/hr, $150/hr or the person who says “i charge $5k min plus whatever the hell i feel like charging on top of that” because they’ve been around the block and know shitty processes and equipment because they have first hand experience with them, and thus they know the cost of failure. Paying 3.5pppp, raw product adds up quick and mistakes are costly. Using consultants is a relatively cheap insurance policy. Look at how many people resell systems they’ve used just 10 times. At 50-200k/pop, that’s an eff ton to walk away from because you bought the wrong equipment in the first place. Also applies to paying phd lab techs $15/hr in SF. Insanity.

If you’re getting in the business and dropping $1M plus on real estate and equipment, don’t bitch about paying a consultant $5-50k to get you squared away.

12 Likes

Defined Scope of Work is essential, also @Dirteagle speaking truth

3 Likes

To be fair, most of my consults have been aiding in a single process. There’s absolutely no way I can say “Pay me 5k or I’m not even talking to you.” Anyone would think that’s outrageous. 150/hour seems pretty fair to describe a process over the phone.

6 Likes

Champone of truth +++111

1 Like

Helping people with any significant amount of “general non-proprietary info” is also known as spoon feeding and if someone asks me to do so I tell them a rate that is far higher than the information is worth.

Ask me a pointed highly technical question
in my field that shows that you actually have done your homework and odds are that I’ll help you for free or much cheaper than the general crap.

With that said, every day I have to hold someone’s hand I am not moving forward on my other projects, which is a very very high opportunity cost at this point. If it gets to the point where I am telling you a price, you’re probably not going to want to pay it. Is it gonna be worth it if you do? Yes. Will it save you at least an order of magnitude more than you’re paying? Yes, and probably lots of time, or I won’t offer to help at any price (95+% of consult requests that I get I send to someone else that is better suited). That doesn’t mean you’re going to like the price. My time is very valuable so price my time accordingly.

I base my price on the higher of what my time is worth to me or what it is saving you.

And without a well defined scope of work I’m not taking a penny or doing anything.

7 Likes

And thats fine. But on my side I get asked to document those processes, review the relevant codes, evaluate equipment for its suitability for compliance and use, summarize it in a report, certify it’s accuracy and stake my engineering license on it. When I put out a document under seal, I’m accepting a certain amount of liability. I’m not going to jeopardize a license that took the better part of 10 years to get for a $150 off the cuff consult. Sure, once you’re a regular client and I have a good understanding of your operation, those quick off the cuff consults happen all the time. Legally and ethically I’ve got to meet a certain standard of care so that the client can do x safely and with confidence. Getting to that point takes time and money.

4 Likes

Preach

I charge 150$ an hour. I focus mainly on lower budget build outs making your budget work for your project. If I see I’m not a good fit I refer you to a couple other trusted guys that are much more expensive then me. Have done around 6 consults in the past 3 months mainly doing remote consulting helping with planning, buildout olannkng, equipment, sourcing machinery, SOP, market analysis, brokering, blueprints, cheaper machine options or nicer more expensive machines Making it more easy to operate.

What sets me apart is I push warm wash technique which saves MASSIVE money on start up costs but is more labor intensive but fairly easy to do. Cryo Washing costs like 5-10 times as much as warm wash for same output capacity and my product is same end quality as these guys rocking 200k machines doing cryo. Feel free to DM me

7 Likes

Hey love to see you taking my opinions as constructive boss man. Get your cash money :ok_hand:

All the info is online already. ALL OF IT 100%. What I’m being paid for is using these processes and fucking up through trial and error over years and years and figuring out the tweaks that saves them from being suckered into shittt machines, ironing out false info out there, choosing the write SOP for a process that has 10 different ways to approach it depending on their goal and budget.

Your paying me for my years of failures and trial and errors seeing which SOPs are scalable and applicable depending on the current level of knowledge of their techs and their budget.

Your super salty responses and the fact that this is linked to you when people research you to use you as a consultant I’d already say don’t use you. Cause the child like behavior and saltines is gonna get you fucked. I’ve very often sent people to other consultants I trust cause they know this specific process much better and my whole motto is transparency. And do people choose me a lot of the time over more qualified guys because I’ll tell them how it is on top of providing sourcing biomass for my prices, helping them market and sell their product through my channels, and most of all not being an Elliot type character. Which I’m catching slot of those vibes from your responses.

Professionalism is first and foremost. Ask @TheGratefulPhil we butted heads mad. And now I’d refer him to my clients for specific needs that I am not an expert in enough to comfortably give answers in. Can’t know everything and everyone has specialties.

Burn your networking contacts and burn your business. My fellow consultants have made me a lot of money through sending me their guys that want to do cheap warm wash and ice made them a lot of money sending more sophisticated shit or engineering problems to them. Your shooting your self in the foot over here Elliot 2.0

9 Likes

Just make sure ur eating good and taking care of yourselves

5 Likes

I think it depends on what type of consulting

Licensing, branding, administrative or

Engineering lab design grow design.

There are too many consultants that are misinformed.

I charge a flat fee. It includes engineering architectural and implementation.

1 Like

Are you referencing me with the salty responses and elliott2.0 comments? Please point out to me which comments that your referring to that are so salty? Also not sure why you came on the post and didn’t answer the question that the post was about but decided to just give your godly advice of your complete understanding of me based off of a couple comments. I wouldn’t hire you for anything the same as you wouldn’t hire me, mostly because of your pretentious demeanor… honestly i had a simple question and can’t believe all of the people that just want to come on here any talk shit… for real anyone entering a thread bringing anything but a true want to help and or learn is just looking for some type of validation, validation being needed because of a lack of confidence and other psychological issues… tell me I’m wrong tell me a real man with confidence needs to go around and talk down to people or spread any type of negativity