Best way to make wax with CO2

Ive been extracting on a CLS with a N-Butane and can make shatter, badder, wax. I know by agitation and heat how to produce a desired end product. I just started using a new apeks super critical CO2 extractor and was wondering if theres any tips or tricks I should know about post processing CO2 to get a waxy substance. thanks in advance for the knowledge

1 Like

how are you running your machine?

if you’re decarbing the input material, you’re not going to produce anything like the THCA products you’re used to.

If you’re running hot, you will likely get partial decarb.

check these threads.

2 Likes

Supercritical at around 1780psi chiller at 114 sep pressure 380-400 exit temp at 107-109 Sep Temp at 46.
Thanks for the response cyclopath!!

1 Like

I would bring the 1780psi down a bit and make the running time longer depending on how much your running at a time, keep your sep pressure below 400 and bring the temp down on the chiller to maybe 100, you dont want it to decarb over the time.

1 Like

ran 2lb for 4 hours

I would second this. If you are trying to get the most efficient cannabinoid yield out of your input material, then higher pressure is better. If you are trying to create an extract that still has some nice flavor and a good texture though, it is better to run it at a lower pressure for a longer period of time. In my experience, colder temps and slightly lower pressure (in the primary extraction vessel) produces the best CO2 extract for dabbing purposes. You may need to increase your extraction time by as much as 50% to reach similar yields as running at 1800 PSI.

This is of course assuming you are trying to run the material in a single shot and produce one fraction of oil that is ready for purge then consumption. I personally think that the best CO2 extracts for dabbing are created from a mixture of fractions that are pulled at different conditions.

@hendo253 looks like you are based out of the Tacoma area from that 253 area code, I live in Seattle and run an extraction lab near Olympia. If you want to meet up at some point to talk shop and get some pointers just hit me up. One of my close friends ran a 5L and 20L apeks for a couple of years, so I know some good set points to create pure terpenes, nice wax, (almost) shatter and such straight out of the cup without much further processing needed.

5 Likes

That about right maybe an extra half hour or so we ran 3134g almost 7lbs for 16 hours

Do you know anyone around Michigan who consults with the apeks 20l?

There customer service is pretty good, i know they will come out and service them

They are pretty good

Unfortunately not, most of my contacts are in WA and CA. If the price is right though I know someone who does video/skype consultations. Google Outco brand (CA extraction brand), he taught them how to use their Apeks machines to make the majority of their products.

thanks for the insight. I would love to meet up and talk shop except I’m in MASS. 253 is the recreational company I work for. Hired on at this lab where they are running CO2 and trying to help refine the process as my background is in CLS using Propane/ Butane >> we are getting an ETS MEP next week for hydrocarbon extraction as well.

That’s a pretty funny coincidence, maybe one of the owners is from the Tacoma area? Who knows.

1 Like

lol 253 is our street address. coincidence for sure. thanks for advice :+1::+1:

Hey man! I’m Nick and I work at Apeks. What company are you with? I am happy to share any info I know and help get you in contact with some people that can help you refine your process. Shoot me a message if you’re interested and we can go from there.

1 Like