pricing out consulting services

Who are you to judge Elliott anyway, you get to talk shit about people and slander them online because you don’t like them? What makes you think anyone cares about your opinion of them? What makes you think your so special?

So much hostilely lately. I wonder why this place has gotten so negative lately. Doesnt everyone here smoke cannabis???

19 Likes

I think the problem is that they don’t. Kind of makes me sick this is supposed to be a place for learning and people looking for answers and guidance have to deal with trolls Like that

I have no idea who are you are or what your referencing. I don’t even recognize your handle. Not sure where your blowing up from. Said the salt thing to some kid who was botching about I can’t even remember. But he had a profile picture and a normal name not a bunch of letters… so um okay then…

2 Likes

Elliot is just a prime example of how not to talk to anyone ever and is universally disliked because of his demeanor. Not sure where you even jumped into this convo from… or how you got the idea that I tagged you in the salt comment. Sooo… hella confused

2 Likes

Just went back and checked and nope wasn’t even you that was tagged you we’re in no way related to the salt post in anyway. You apparently just felt like rippin on someone and taking something not even said to you or even in your direction or even general vicinity personally. So I’m over here mad confused and definitely a little laughing at the fact you just went off, went self righteous about hostility, and then talked shit to a person who’s never spoken to you or about you… ever… sooooo chill out

2 Likes

I like this approach

2 Likes

I resemble this approach…

8 Likes

HI @Roguelab, do you still do the courses? Would that be based in the US?

Yes I still can but I am based in Europe
Netherlands

Hi, can . get in touch with you over the phone? I’m based in Poland. Just came back from Netherlands few days ago lol

I’m too busy these days for consulting but I charge $150/hr + travel, these days I only consult in VT, ME, and CT and it’s pretty rare as I dont have much time to spare outside my own projects. Same reason I’ve never bothered to get verification here as it’s hardly even part time work for me and I’d rather the guys who consult for a living get the gigs.

In terms of SOPs, I dont sell them. I dont believe in the spoon approach, and those who dont need the spoon dont have to ask.

My approach is to identify the needs and capabilities of a project and train the operators. It’s their job to take notes and create their own SOPs.

I also don’t sell them because I think theres too many people in the “consulting” sphere, many of which are just reselling others work, it seems like everyone who’d ever touched an SPD or an extraction spool calls themselves one these days.

I’m not knocking people that do, but I dont believe in selling an SOP that’s not originally mine and theres no sum of money that could buy the SOPs I created as many are my career/life’s work. There are those in this industry, and especially on this forum/IG that believe they are the only ones with certain knowledge because they’re the only ones making it public, but like a good mad scientist I keep my best work private as do many others in cannabis and science in general.

Edit: would like to add that I regularly give free advice on many aspects of the industry. I am not stingy I just believe in protecting my best work.

3 Likes

I charge $200/hr for automation and process consulting but am happy to trade my time for cannabis knowledge I lack. I have very little time in the market but my skills are transferable. I only say this because as the industry grows and scales, more outsiders like me will be coming in and the marriage of the varying skills should produce some neat solutions. If some chemist has a secret sauce they may need someone to help them scale to mid level production. It may then take another skill set to scale up from there. My wish for the community is for the small guys to find ways to compete with the bigger operations coming online. That may mean going outside the industry or seeking help from someone with a different set of skills.

1 Like

If/when federal legalization comes and interstate sales (may) happen there should be a higher demand for automation and scaling, which may be sooner than later. Right now the CBD industry generally has some of the bigger process labs.

Though many here, like my self, would prefer a federal de-regualtion rather than “legalization”. Sadly I think it will be the latter and many of the small guys will get crushed

1 Like

I have a general belief that automation should not be reserved for the big outfits. All of my customers decide to buy my custom automation solutions when the cost results in around a two year payback. For automation that case is made around the time they can save two full time employees worth of compensation for small projects. A basic electrical cabinet and basic programming costs somewhere around $20k, so your desire to automate should save you at least $40k before it makes sense. This is just some general guidelines i keep in mind when I talk to clients to see if automation is right for them. Also, most automation projects i do run from $30k on the small side and $800k for larger projects. The average seems to be around $120k. Of course it 100% depends on what you are trying to do. idk, just rambling now.

2 Likes

I’d highly recommend considering value based pricing (VBP) instead of an hourly rate. That pricing strategy is alluded to in some of the comments below. For example, if a consultant can demonstrate (key word - DEMONSTRATE. If you can’t do that, go back and do the math) that they will bring $1MM of new revenue with 10 hours of work, why in the world would they charge $200/hr??? The potential client is receiving an extraordinary 500X ROI. Any potential client who won’t consider a 20X ROI ($50,000 project price) isn’t someone you want to work with. Where else can anyone invest $1 and make $19. That is a screaming good deal even if the cost appears high to the potential client. Only potential greedy clients forget that:

1. Getting an advanced degree takes time and opportunity cost while your buddies were out making $.
  2. Owning your own business means you have to pay for health insurance, computers, travel, subcontractors, etc… The W2 life covers most of that for you.
  3. You are providing massive value at a great price of only a sliver of their profit.

There is a fantastic podcast “Consulting Success” hosted by Micheal Zipursky that focuses on the strategies and tactics consultants need to do be successful and many of them discuss VBP vs. Hourly.

6 Likes