Preservatives for cereal bars?

hey all, i know with gummies you can use polysorbate as a mold inhibitor, but is there anything that can be put into cereal bars to extend shelf life?

Potassium sorbate. We have yet to have one to mold or have any issues after a couple years.

11 Likes

Is there a ratio to use?

The first difference between preservatives and antioxidants lies in their technological function. As we have already mentioned, the former seek to prevent the proliferation of undesirable microorganisms in the product, while the latter are used to protect food from oxidative rancidity. Both are inhibitors of alterations in the product, but the preservatives are inhibitors of biological changes, and the antioxidants are inhibitors of chemical changes.

The second big difference is that preservatives are used in products that contain water, since it is in this environment where microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria and yeasts that deteriorate food arise and develop. Antioxidants, on the other hand, are incorporated into products that contain fats, to protect them from oxidation due to the impact of light, heat or other factors.

There are products such as fruits or drinks that do not have a percentage of fat in their composition; in that case it is recommended only to add preservatives to prevent deterioration. Additionally, products like oils lack water in their composition, which is why in this case it is advisable to use antioxidants. However, there are a lot of foods like bread, biscuits, margarine or sausages that have both water and oil in their ingredients, so in these cases it is common to see that food companies add both preservatives and antioxidants.

13 Likes

I’ve been using potassium sorbate in ordinary gummies, no idea if that works with granola.

1 Like

BHT and THBQ are what’s used in rice krispie treats from a store

2 Likes

Use Rosemary extract- natural and powerful. Buy from a flavour company called Kerry. Else use Ascorbic acid or TBHQ.

4 Likes

Vitamin E (tocopherol and tocotrienol) are the main sequesters of oxidation in rosemary oil. You can get bulk stuff pretty easy and it won’t have a strong flavor. Just be sure to not add too much (by daily value), fat soluble vitamins take time to metabolize and can cause mild toxicity if you aren’t careful!

If you are using a low water content recipe and a standard sheet pan use a single teaspoon.

We did the math on weight and typical sorbate usage which is 0.03% to 0.4% of the batter weight . Since cereal bars are typically a very low water content food (basically none) you don’t need to run on the high end of the range of sorbate. We settled on the lower end and it turns out it works out to ~1tsp. the more you knowwwwww

2 Likes

I usually run about 0.1% by weight and it works well and I use that concentration in several different products.

3 Likes

Polysorbate-20 resulted in developmental and reproductive toxicity in animal studies… change ur name from " Hippy" to “money hungry no brains or values chad” … good day to you sir

1 Like

I was under the impression that it was a GRAS ingredient. What do you suggest as an effective alternative? Not sure the whole “money hungry no brains or values” is the correct approach here since bakeries and mfgs outside this market use it all the time.

2 Likes

Yea and they are run by money hungry no brain Chad’s as well. People mentioned some good natural non toxic alternatives here already. But if ur not trying to sell two year old rice crispys then u won’t have a problem with it going rancid regardless. Package correctly, store correctly, put a 6 month expiration date on it, and ur good to go

Or you can give all ur " patients" a slight dose of toxicity to lesson the possibility of ur product going bad before you sell it and causing you to lose money… normally I wouldn’t be thus engaged but he had the nerve to call himself a Hippy… theres more to it than being dirty bro

Ahhhhhh ! His name is Hippy MEDS! Didnt even notice that at first. Chad poison would be a more suiting username for ya

Do you have a citation for that claim? What was the dose? How was it administered?

According to this study, it was safe when injected intramuscularly

2 Likes

Im not vegan or organic so its prolly in all the packaged food I buy. Ill bet my 103 year old grandma ate it too.

In summary, tween 20 has the capability of interaction with DNA in treated cells and results in DNA damage and fragmentation. Therefore, it can be concluded that tween 20 inhibits the growth of both normal and cancer cell lines by inducing apoptosis via chromatin and DNA fragmentation; and considering the results of this study, tween 20 should be used with some precautions as an emulsifier in food and pharmaceutical industries.

These studies are lobbied against HEAVILY, eg, funding gets pulled from these studies if they do not have access to private funding for the experiments.

4 Likes

In Bio/Chem lab, we are taught that Tween is highly toxic.

The bottle itself says so.

We use Tween to increase cell wall permeability.
By its very nature of action, it causes DNA damage if cells are exposed for long term to it.

Keep eating your creamy ice cream if you feel otherwise…
:joy:
We all have the power to make choices and believe what we want to believe.
Read your ingredient lists if you actually care about your body. The FDA allows tons of carcinogenic compounds, in small amounts, to be in food and pharmaceutical compounds. If there is a benefit that can be lobbied for, it probably has been already.

Those beliefs can be swayed either way through lobbying, which often convolutes beliefs far from the real truth.

3 Likes

Got a good list of toxic food additives and the threshold for harm?

1 Like