Preservatives for cereal bars?

You think I have a list?
You will never find a list online, that’s exactly what is lobbied against.

My partner had her funding pulled doing antibiotic resistance research, Foster’s Farm had ties to her university grants somehow.

The roots go DEEP on how funds for grants are controlled in the US.

No one will publish a list, except for the wacko websites that are preach organic vegan diets.

And even those websites don’t do proper research on what is really dangerous or just thought to be.

Look at NCBI for any articles if you have doubts about what you are about to use for your formulations.

You’ll sometimes see counter arguments for studies that show cancer risk for a compound.
These counter articles on NCBI are usually studies funded by big pharma and corporations lobbying to allow usage of compounds on the cutoff fringe.

3 Likes

So you’re saying there is a list

4 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile::man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Was speed typing a rant to you then stopped and decided to read the rest of the thread.
Canna Chem made it abundantly clear. Only things I would add is even if you some how believe there’s any acceptable amount of a toxic substance to add to food let alone “meds” intended for consumption by people that might already have the disease the chemicals can cause in the first place. Then even by your math and the privately funded studies one bag of gummies is safe , but two and it’s toxic. Or one bag then one other food product with the chemical , if say ( made up amount) 50 milligrams is safe in a day but 100 milligrams is toxic then everyons eating two bags gets poisoned.
But for the record I firmly believe even 1 bag would be toxic and damaging. As far as the FDA. Lmao! nitrates in hot dogs and aspartame in diet soda are determined to cause a host of disease by every main stream source. Fda says it’s chill tho give them to ur kids. and they are just the foods everyone knows about , there’s tons more.
I find it hard to believe u trust the FDA. Take a look at the revolving door from companies selling chemicals and the fda, it’s bizarre how they openly go from a regulatory company to a higher paying job at a company they used to regulate and the masses don’t put the pieces together … OK I’m done

3 Likes
2 Likes

Closest thing I could find

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-21/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-172

I don’t eat processed garbage. Just curious as to what, why, how tween was toxic.

Thanks for the citation @cannachem

2 Likes

I appreciate the link as well, interesting stuff beyond me. This caught my eye:

Interestingly, 2 μL/mL tween 20 showed genotoxic and DNA cleavage properties that were approximately the same as 200 μM H2O2.

I wonder, is the toxicity we look at? A quick google search suggests an average 2650 ml of blood in the body, if so, does that mean ~ 5.3ml of tween 20 is where toxicity shows up?

I don’t currently use poly 20 in anything but I do use 80 which has me wondering more…

and what in the fuck are you talking about. fuck your self.

1 Like

ok, dick.

1 Like

seems like you like the name chad. your kind of guy?

Any safer preservatives & antioxidants you could recommend?

Alpha-tocopherol is a “safe” antioxidant food additive.

“Safe” preservatives gets kinda dicey though, Google is your friend.

Calcium propionate is used in lots of food, mostly bread.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. Just learned potassium sorbate is banned in Europe for links to cancer…wow.

2 Likes

great selection - I have used these for a major chocolate company in the regular food industry. TBHQ and BHT are nasty stuff. No need anymore in this day.

wondering - what is the water activity of these bars you are making? You should limit to 0.1% potassium sorbate in your product for a number of reasons but I would recommend 0.05% to start. But really bars should have a water activity low enough to negate the use of a chemical preservative. You can also look at other natural sources of preservatives that are clean label. I would stay away from polysorbates.