Post Ethanol Extraction Filtration

I’m aware, but what I actually believe they are referring to is the non polished surface on a fnpt thread surface from the manufacturer

completely diff topic, both just as valid.

@midlifechemist care to clarify? :upside_down_face:

@Soxhlet why choose passivation over electro?or are you performing one before the other?

“”"Electropolishing, a non-mechanical interactive process, can be used on objects with complex geometries. The electropolishing process uses a combination of electrolytic chemicals and an electrical current to carefully eliminate imperfections and contaminants of metal part surfaces. This particular process is an alternative to abrasive fine polishing. Electropolishing can be used to polish, deburr, and smooth metal components whereby doing so also causes material removal to occur including the free irons on the surface of the part.

Electropolishing would be the more appropriate approach when aesthetics are necessary. A smoother, polished surface can result from electropolishing. Passivation, on the other hand, does not change or brighten the surface appearance and is not an effective method for removing surfaces that has been welded with oxide heat effect scale or heat treated.“”"

We passivate the surface by electropolishing. There are three options for removing the oxides and free iron. The first is a process called pickling it uses strong Hydrofluoric acid (bone hurting juice) to chemically dissolve the surface impuritys. Next you have electropolishing, like you said it is an electro chemical process and uses acids, but the acids (phosphoric/ citric) aren’t as hazardous to work with.Lastly you have abrasives, you can use a grinding wheel, or plastic abrasive to remove the top layer of material. Electropolishing works better for passivating welded surfaces that you don’t intend to grind, as well as retains the physical appearance of the weld bead.

If you choose to passivate, first you must pickle the material.

2 Likes

To a fault, I’m easily influenced by the titles of published papers on topics I don’t know a lot about. I’m sure IRL etoh/oleo wont be in contact long enough to make much of a difference for most people, but a decent amount of the population (I think around 10% of females and only 1.somethingmaybe2% of males…I read these papers last week but it was the middle of the night) has sensitivities to nickel and chromium. Lots of potential problems with topicals. I’m just being paranoid about inevitable future regulations approaching the industry as I’m just getting my business off the ground and would at least like to get high enough in the air to have somewhere to fall…

http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol10/100503792.pdf

2 Likes

@cannabuilder What kind of hoses are you using that can handle those temps?

What type of bags are you running?

Just standard polyester felt

2 Likes

Continental Purple Snake if I remember right?

1 Like

Bout to order some bag housings and cartridge filters from heyes. Did you end up just added loose carbon to your solution and then filter it out via bag/cartridge setup or are you running carbon cartridges?

I haven’t used any carbon yet in this setup. If you do, I recommend a carbon cartridge.

Bout to order some bag housings and cartridge filters from heyes.

@StreetValue what type of bag housings are you going with? We’re just starting our research into this.

Really the only difference is the size. The bag filters come in many different microns. Contact Heyes and they will get you set up.

I may do that. I’ve called around quite a bit and I’m pretty much set on a getting a setup from PRM. They’re working on a skid that may become a stock unit and has the connections, etc. that I want. Assuming I go with this, I’ll post pictures in a few weeks.

Cheers…

1 Like

Hey everyone, I work in the sales department for Rosedale Products. Someone sent me this link to show me what type of system they are looking for and I see quite a few shout outs to Rosedale which we appreciate! If any of you need any help/guidance let me know! Bags, filter housings, recommendations etc… This is a field we have really been looking to get into and gain some expertise so I am always happy to help!

Justin

Justin

2 Likes

@cannabuilder do you by chance make and retail them I’m capable of piecing together but overloaded with hemp farm, hemp processing and rec cannabis. Wasnt sure if you where at this point

Which Horsepower centrifugal pump would be the best fit for the size #2 5 micron → 0.2 micron 30" cartridge?

I haven’t really used centrifugal pumps in this setup. I used one of these and it drove it just fine, if that helps.

When you say pushing with 20psi air you mean nitrogen correct?

When working with solvents that are not a gas at room temp and atmosphere
They can be pushed with normal compressed air
Their is no oxidation happening at a high rate nor will the flammability of the solvent become a higher risk

1 Like

While they can be pushed with normal compressed air @Roguelab, make sure that air is being filtered. You can spit oil from your compressor and all kinds of small particulate into your product. Dental compressors put out clean air and purity plus nitrogen will be free of contaminates as well. I’ve also used LN2 and the sublimated CO2 from dry ice to push. Just make sure you have a PRV to keep you from getting too high of pressures when you don’t have a good regulator.

Indeed a small detail I forgot to mention
Thanx for that
I find nitrogen a great gas but the pressure involved can create more problems than most realize
And most bagfiltration units don t handel them well nor do cartridge filtration skids

2 Likes