Pentane steam terps tek

Assemble a closed loop system in the design of a traditional steam still. Replace water as solvent with pentane.

Enjoy.

Those dark ones were the first runs I did that picked up color in my system that I thought was clean

45 Likes

Looks good. Brilliant idea. Are your picking up cannaboids? If not how is this avoided?

1 Like

That’s fun! I think @Roguelab had mucked around with this idea?

Do the cannabinoids just stay in the bud (or some probably fall down into the base due to a bit of reflux?)

Yes i have and @Apothecary36 is killing it real good work
My latest endevour is
Placing a biomass tube after the recovery unit before the cooling coil to catch the terps with the hot vapors out of the recovery unit and have them fall out in a cooling coil on normal ice to a molsieve to the dry ice coil
Won t have answers for Now so who ever give it a shot

4 Likes

@Apothecary36 is that ptfe on the bottels their treads???
To avoid the terps chewung on the caps ???
If so briljant :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Yes gas thread tape I recently bought blue monster it’s all ptfe varietys I wonder if the color is bad and a virgin type can be used

9 Likes

It s briljant the amount of caps i ditched are countless
Triks of the trade whorty :ok_hand::+1:

11 Likes

3% cannabinoids according to someone that bought them. Also they claimed my terps contained phthalates in them which @MagisterChemist thought that a was rather odd compound to be testing for. My terps had residual pentane in them as well. All in all this info provides good data to go forward.

All tubing needs to be ptfe or stainless steel, no vinyl, pvc, etc. Even though they have a chemical rating A for pentane that’s not the same for terps or for the plasticizers they use to make the tubing bend? Correct me if I’m wrong

More reflux

If you’re gonna complain about residual pentane you can literally fuck off lol. Blend the terps into distillate at 60c or hotter wheres the pentane gonna go??? Purge it yourself I’m trying to provide raw essence (solvent) not be a solvent free dweeb

17 Likes

I’d like to thank @Waxplug1 and @Roguelab for inspiring this idea

13 Likes

Theres actually very little cannabis oil on the bottom as I dont allow a liquid phase to exist by keeping my biomass at 140-180 f as well as my solvent tank

4 Likes

For residuals just hit it with a stir bar and some light vacuum and you’re probably good to go in an hour or less.

The ultravolatiles leave pretty fast

1 Like

Obviously it’s a different beast, but isopentane or butane might be even better :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Sounds fun!

2 Likes

Oh by the way this is all off of year old material
Except the live hemp

2 Likes

can probably strip the pentane out using vac and multiple staged condensers.

2 Likes

I would place a cold condensor then a warm one then super cold

4 Likes

Fuck some bottles have serious volume :fist_left:

2 Likes

I would store them in darkness thou
Whenever I go to the french parfume experts things are pretty dark

3 Likes

Why not use butane or propane as opposed to pentane? Pentane has very low odor threshold levels and also has a very strong smell.

2 Likes