Pentane steam terps tek

Because I had a 55 gallon drum and cant buy butane without driving 6 hours to Oregon. Ok maybe I could find it if I tried but like I said the drum was paid for already lol

7 Likes

Why cant you buy butane where yourr at? In the sticks?

Cali ban on non odorized butane

Whats the problem with deodorizing it yourself?

1 Like

not sure

eBay is actually honoring this? Figured the seller donā€™t care where it goes. Iā€™ve gotten plenty things off there banned from one state to the next

4 Likes

@Apothecary36 how much pentane do you typically use to steam a # biomass?

10 liters per kilo

4 Likes

What pressures are you reaching during your process? And did you pack your tube like normal or is there some technique to it?

Does it pick up that plant material smell that smells green? Does it require anymore processing?

3 Likes

Good questions.

I actually didnt use a column but rather a second solvent tank that I would load with nylon all mesh bags. I had everything tied into my roto. I would pull a hard vac on Rotary evaporator system and both solvent tanks. Then Iā€™d shut off the vac pump to run passively. I would use a hose to slurp up my volume of pentane into the closed system and close the valve before letting in oxygen. Both solvent Tanks are in the same hot water bath. Heat exchanger just uses room temp water.

Diaphragm pump > roto > cooling water heat exchanger> solvent tank > solvent tank> bucket of pentane

The system worked because I made it work but can be redesigned for efficiency.

Only post processing is draining the water layer in a sep funnel. Zero green smell. Whoā€™s gonna try butane terps??

Maybe 7 psi max in my system with super hot water in the water bath

5 Likes

Im about to try with butane when i can wrap my head around this a little better.

1 Like

The gas swept through the bottom of the plant material and out the top into a heat exchanger with a 3/8 line. Iā€™m pretty sure you dont want a wide bore setup, but rather constricted. Just a theory thoughā€¦

Oh by the way I made sure to meter the flow into my rotary evaporator to ensure the rotary stayed under vac the entire time. DONT PRESSURIZE GLASS

Whats your opinion on me using a 3" column and reducing down to a 1" or even kf25? Could i get away with a very loose packing in a nylon sock inside a 4ā€™ long 3" column? Im essentially thinking of setting up just like a still.

1 Like

I loosely packed as well but Iā€™m not sure which is better

If enough people start making terps like this we can make steam terps as extinct as Brown shatter is now lol

9 Likes

How does this affect the biomass? Is it drying out the biomass at the same time? When you extract the material afterwards is the extract dark? Is it destined for disty after this terp stripping process?

3 Likes

If somebody donā€™t send or let me send @Apothecary36 some empty bottles to load up to send me some those goodies I think gonna go bananas over here :joy::astonished:

3 Likes

The rest of my parts to build my main heat exchange system will be in tomorrow. Then the biomass next week. I donā€™t have a problem testing anything. I just need to figure out how to seperate the terps from the pentane. That seems a lot more difficult than using butane do to the 97ish what ever evap point of pentane.
When using butane. Would it be much different than a crude solution? As butane dissolves the cannaboids as well as the terps?

I"ve been going over in my head, using the pentane to strip the terps, and shave off like ā€¦ a percent or to two of cannaboids. Then figure out to purge the residual pentane from the biomass before processing with butane.

Hell I donā€™t even know if Iā€™m making sense anymore hahahahahahah

4 Likes

So have you or anyone else tried the butane? Wouldnā€™t pure propane be a better suit for this since propane is known to pull more terps then just butane? Plus, easier to purge off?

Orā€¦ have you perfected the pentane method?

1 Like

I used pentane because it was what I had on hand. I havenā€™t seen anyone post their results yet with any solvent.

2 Likes