Oral THC/CBD oil

Hello all,

I have been tasked with creating an edible oil with potency maximums. I will have access to crude oil or distillate. Any pros/cons anyone has come across using one or the other? As well, best carrier oil options. Potency max is 30mg/ml for THC.

CC

3 Likes

MCT, with maybe a little sunflower lecithin to speed up intake.

you can go as high as 400mg/ml (<-- @Akoyeh), possibly higher.

you can put it in gel caps in the taste is objectionable.

I put it in my coffee some days.

2 Likes

I agree with @cyclopath. MCT, in my research and experience, is the best carrier oil. It allows the greatest bioavailability of any oils that I have come across. Some research argues that LMCT provides more benefits, but it was only one study that I came across which said that. I have seen Grapeseed oil used as well. While sunflower lecithin will seep up intake, it is not required to bring the crude or distillate into solution.

Technically, you could add a single drop of carrier oil and that would provide you with maximum saturation. It will be highly viscous and difficult to work with, but the maximum potency of the oil is only limited by the potency of your crude or distillate. I have made oil as high as 400mg/mL, but that was for high dose, terminally ill patients. Why it would need to be that high for the general public is beyond my comprehension.

Please make sure to use decarbed product as well.

3 Likes

thanks for responding.

and these products would be produced for the current Canadian legal market. Which unfortunately currently has pretty low mg/ml allowed… i swear its 30mg/ml (THC) off the top of my head for oral only… so there will end up being lots of carrier oil in this for the correct dilution. They have said over the next 1-1.5 years they will start allowing edibles and high concentrated products.

and for sure use a decarb product.

i am currently on the verge of buying an ethanol extractor, recovery option and wiped film as well. I have tried to research all things that are out there, but its obviously a super non stop advancement in extraction machine industry as well. Current extractor at top of this oral medicine maker list, ethos 6 by capna fabrications, with a roto or ecochyll, and a pope 6" molecular still. this is a pilot sit for possible others and scaling up once demand is shown.

let me know your thoughts on these items as well, pros or cons.

thnx
CC

I wouldn’t eat MCT oil when coconut oil works perfectly with disty dissolved in it. However if you’re looking for a fast onset like I was then I would go the route of tinctures I have my Everclear/distillate solution binding in the freezer right now.

Good luck

2 Likes

Which tincture did you use ?

Coconut oil will have a hard time maintaining a liquid form in the cold Canadian winters. Here in Oregon, I can barely keep it from being solid in my home. Yes, it will work, but for accurate dosing, having it in a stable liquid form makes it significantly easier.

Cannabis concentrate mixed with MCT is still a tincture. It is actually a ketogenic tincture, and that is what we make and sell. It works well, and I have yet to hear a complaint about the carrier oil we use.

2 Likes

MCT oil always gives me diarrhea lmao, however what else to you add to your solution besides MCT and distillate/decarbed weed?

1 Like

That is the problem with coconut, hard 95% of the time where I live.

I have made alcohol based tinctures in the past, but I am not sure they are allowed in the Canadian market with that alcohol in there… I’ll look into that.

Hahaha well I would steer clear of that then!
Wonder if this is usual side effect if MCT for some people.

As for what else am I going to add, not sure, I will test some flavour additives, since it should almost be tasteless if I use disti for it.

Sadly, that is the one side effect of too much MCT. One solution is to increase the concentration so that one does not need to ingest so much MCT as to cause diarrhea. With our patients who have required higher doses, this is what we have done to combat that nasty side effect. We have some patients who are intolerant of MCT as a whole. When that happens, we have moved them to high concentration ethanol-based tinctures or just given them straight RSO.

We add nothing else to our tincture. Cannabis oil and MCT is our formula. We usually sit at 33mg/mL and it makes a beautiful tincture. For specific patients who rely on a faster uptake of cannabinoids, we have found that sunflower lecithin, in particular, works best and provides a nice nutty taste. We avoid the use of flavorings. Medicine doesn’t always taste good.

2 Likes

I have another tincture I made using 2 ml spearmint essential oil
(can’t use peppermint due to acid reflux) and 10 ml everclear with a little over a gram of distillate. (About 100mg/1ml) Now before letting it sit in the freezer I would like to reduce particle size for faster better absorption and onset of the dose, I have an ultra sonic cleaner, should I give it an ultrasonic bath, or am I going to need to buy a high shear homogenizer?

What did y’all use to reduce particle size? I’m trying to sonicate since I already have one over homogenizer if possible

why are you freezing? that can cause particles to drop out of solution/ lump together. Simply homoginize and store at room temp.

I was just going off of the video and figured thats what you did for distillate too. Well looks like I have to drop 400 on a homogenizer uhhhhhhhhhhh

2 Likes

If the oil you are making is for personal use, I would strongly suggest adding some sunflower lecithin to increase absorbtion rate and decrease time for uptake of cannabinoids prior to use of the sonicator. It could also allow you to use little or no oil, if oils are indeed an issue for you. Sonicators work best when encapsulating cannabinoids (commonly done with lecithin), and I have no experience in using them to merely reduce particle size. When used with lecithin, it is a method for making cannabinoids hydrophilic and keeping them stable in a water-based solution. A home-sized sonicator will work for personal use, but for scaling, some much bigger (and consequently more expensive) equipment is required. Unless you have an allergy to sunflower seeds, sunflower lecithin is the fastest thing I have seen in decreasing the time required for true therapeutic effects when ingesting orally.

1 Like

Well i’m not really ingesting it orally as I don’t like edibles I was looking for a fast onset tincture idk if sunflower lecithin is needed for that?

The lecithin acts as a surfactant, this allows the small globules that your homiginizer made to “stay small” Without surfactants your emultion won’t be stable.

surfactant%20general%20structure_opt
read this again! once again lad!
white_paper_ascb_v9 (3).pdf (2.1 MB)

carrier oil= oil that binds with compoind of interest.

surfactant= stabalizes your carrier oil/thc mix.

high shear/ultrasonic homoginizer= reduces globule size to create emultion.

7 Likes

I’m assuming this lecithin would work in Safflower oil as well? I understand the MCT oil provides better absorption, but we keep getting a lot of requests for a tincture that is made with a different carrier oil because of coconut allergies.

what ratio is recommend for sunflower lecithin?
I prefer to make my oils all 50mg/ml or 25mg/ml.

I’ve always used it when making edibles but never oils. I add 2 table spoons then. So for oil i wouldn’t want to be more than 4% for it to dissolve and look nice. Right?

I need some thc distillate or crude to make a very potent CBD/THC tincture for myself. Can anybody point me in the right direction. It seems I can’t get THC distillate unless I buy at least a liter. Thanks for any help ahead. Hope i wasn’t out of line. Just getting desperate.