Options for pulling terps?

I currently have an ethanol lab and with all the vape bans going on, I’m looking for reasonable ways I could scale the lab to pull terps. Butane is not an option right now.

Some current ways I’ve thought of:

1. Stream Distillation on the biomass (is it even worth it?)
  2. Fuck disty and goto Etho Sauce
  3. CO2 extraction on just terps (I need to find some money for this one, no 3ph power either)
  4. I’ve heard that a Pope can yield distillate and terps… (not sure this is true)

Anyone got any genius insight?

2 Likes

Vacuum/nitrogen sweep/cold trap, microwave. I’m assuming you know a bit about making ethanol extracts and what’s available through that.

2 Likes

I hear microwave distillations yield good terpene fractions. Pope is effectively just like any other wiped film, I’d consider it a bit of a crap shoot for terpenes. Sometimes they smell ok, mostly not so much. CO2 can be very nice, with the proper parameters and machinery, loads of CO2 rigs aren’t designed specifically for terpene runs though.

3 Likes

Hey Lefties!

Where is your lab located? Shoot me a DM. Lets chat about supplying you with terpenes and helping you set up a system to pull terpenes at your lab.

@peasandlovage is on the money. Vacuum distillation of terpenes is the most scalable way to pull quality terpenes at the moment.

4 Likes

I have had some luck with C02 extraction. We typically pull over a decent amount of undesirables, simple short path for remediation or natural separation does the trick.

3 Likes

I am all :ear:. Shot you a DM.

I currently run a short path so I am curious what the differences are

2 Likes

Ok. So nobody replied with real information on how to do the nitrogen gas sweep. Just doing some searching and I find the following

I assume this is what I need, anyone got any info on the process itself?

Maybe I can get some info off @spdking

2 Likes

Go ahead and find me on IG. I can call you and walk you through different processes and tell you what options you have, even answer all your questions.

4 Likes

I will see you in person for the sale :slight_smile: Just gotta figure out when it is.

3 Likes

I have been building custom terpene extractors for a few years now.

Feel free to DM with any questions

Best,
Kenzyme

The best way to pull terps is right after a hydrocarbon extraction. Using the pour off sauce and what’s left over. Or removing the butane carefull first then going straight to terpene removal. The spd7 is the most advanced and cleanest terpene harvesting device on the market.

2 Likes

Actually you’d be better off separating your head fluid in a chromo column than a short path due to degradation of heat sensitive terpenes

1 Like

Do you know @Scientific710 . They are #glg and terp capturing fiends. What about decarbing biomass in a big Cascade oven with their Terp Capture trap the Odie?

https://scientific710.com/collections/terpene-traps

3 Likes

In my journey of figuring out wtf to do here, I figured how to remove the blockers and I’m almost approved for butane.

2 Likes

Each method has their own merits. I use steam with some vacuum and keep temps low and the results are really good. If it is a fruity or citrusy scent then the steam works great, but solvent based extraction tends to work better for those heavy earthy type smells. Steam can scale up indefinitely at minimal cost but solvent extraction will limit you based on the amount of solvent you can carry on hand, and CO2 is expensive all around

2 Likes

CO2 terps always smell the same. Grassy, never gassy.

CO2 oil can taste really good. But CO2 terps isolated never stood out to me. Not bad just not funky enough

6 Likes

Betroits super silver haze It was carried the gas just fine but was a limited supply. I may have the name wrong

1 Like

It really sucks nobody on here has tried my terps. They are super gassy. The only grassy smelling one I pulled was from live material. The rest were from cured material.

5 Likes

How can we try your terps?

Pull up, tour the farm, hit some dabs. I’ll make something for the glg cup on 420 If that’s easier.

5 Likes